In search of: American-style sushi rolls

Thanks to @J_L, @Sgee, and @CiaoBob for the hamasaku rec. I started with the one of everything omakase and ordered some krazy american rolls for dessert.

big eye tuna, yellowtail

pike mackerel, stone flounder

blue nose snapper, belt fish

san diego uni, salmon roe

king mackerel, orange surf clam

shad, fresh octopus

tai snapper, toro

scallop

ora king salmon

geoduck

japanese tile fish

fresh unagi

baby sea bass

horse mackerel

memory is fading

fading fast

osaka style pressed sushi

tamago

chawanmushi

Baked Hama: baked scallop, shitake, onion, caramelized onion aioli, jalapeno, soy paper

Rick Castle: yellowtail, seared tuna, shishito, avocado, crispy onion, spicy aioli, sweet soy

barracuda with japanese eggplant

green tea custard

Overall a pretty good value. My only critiques are the rice was too soft and compressed and the fish was cut a little thick. I’ll have to come back and try more of their rolls.

10 Likes

For someone who was looking for “American style sushi rolls”, you sure dove into the deep end of the pool there. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

#Sushi Yuzu
I was in the mood for some rolls so decided to check this place out. However, i made a tactical error by ordering the 15 piece omakase as an appetizer, when the entire restaurant was packed with people ordering from the roll menu.

Bottom line, come for the rolls and stay to watch what not to do in a sushi restaurant, e.g. belly flopping nigiri rice side down into a pool of soy sauce, eating nigiri in 2 bites, rubbing chopsticks together, mixing wasabi and soy sauce, and topping sushi with a pile of ginger.

kanpachi

kinmedai

otoro

kohada

bluefin

barracuda

sardine

baby snapper

uni

squid

scallop

anago

negitoro

lemon roll - spicy tuna roll with tuna, avocado, cucumber, lemon slices, pine nuts, garlic oil ponzu sauce

spicy seabass hand roll - grilled seabass and asparagus

baked crab and salmon roll - baked salmon roll, cucumber, avocado, baked crab dynamite

3 Likes

I don’t get it. Was the nigiri not good? Cause it looks pretty fantastic.

:scream:
I’m so glad I have you guys. But I wonder where these habits come from, especially the chopstick rubbing. It’s not ignorance, well not intentional anyway. They were taught; but if not by the itamae, then who?

Oh, and which pieces or rolls did you like?

1 Like

The item to get at Yuzu is the fried yellowtail ribs. Also their lunch deals are hard to beat in the area.

2 Likes

Oftentimes I find this to be necessary.

1 Like

the fish was fine, but the rice was disappointing, under-seasoned and gummy. at $85 for 15 pieces, with 3 of those pieces being the half order of the negitoro roll, it wasn’t cheap. ordering the omakase at sushi yuzu felt like getting a cheeseburger at a dairy queen.

Open wider and make like a chipmunk! :sweat_smile:

I started a topic on HO about mixing wasabi in your soy sauce. Apparently this is another no-no, although every sushi place I go to gives you a mound of it with just about every service. It’s likely that this is a thing where really high quality Nigiri sushi has just the right amount of wasabi in its preparation and using more is like adding salt to your food at a fine restaurant. I’m not sure if it’s as bad as rubbing chopsticks together though.

That topic also produced a ‘rule’ that Nigiri is eaten WITH chopsticks and rolls are eaten with your fingers. I recall being told the opposite, but may be off base.

You can eat nigiri with either hands or chopsticks. Eating nigiri with your hands is often ideal - and some consider it the proper way - it’s easier to maneuver the correct way.

Do not rub chopsticks together if you’re at a nice place - that indicates you think their utensils are poor quality. If you’re eating takeout, go ahead get rid of the splinters.

Do not add wasabi to your nigiri sushi. It’s ok to add wasabi to your sashimi and then dip in soy, however. Ginger is a palette cleanser in between different servings.

3 Likes

Sashimi and rolls generally do not have wasabi in/on them. You have to add your own to each bite.

1 Like

You need to go to different sushi places.

Ummmm. Probably. But I’m now more interested in whether or not the chef is putting wasabi on the Nigiri where I do go. Easy enough to check. Just lift and peek. Otherwise all’s pretty good as is.

1 Like

When I’m at a medium place, I always check. Unless it’s a really good medium place, because then the chefs know how to season the sushi.

Once again, it’s a trust issue and knowing your places.

II u Definitely going to check in the future, but this does raise a question. Why would the placement of a dab of wasabi (or whatever they’d use) be overlooked at low end sushi bars but not at high end? Takes a second and the material can’t cost much. I’m a linear thinker (obviously) and it just doesn’t seem to make sense.

I don’t get to have much really higher end Nigiri. Most memorable was at Matsuhisa in LA a long time ago. I know it was possibly the best I’ve ever had, but always though it was more about the quality of the rice and fish and the environment. Closest to what I remember in Japan.

I think because people eating at those restaurants don’t understand the nuances, and maybe straight wasabi on their nigiri might upset them? Too spicy, or something.

Hi -

If they make the pieces too big then you’re not rude by needing 2 bites to enjoy it. Let’s not forget who’s the customer.

Just My 2 :sushi: Cents

See? There it is again.

Where do these improper habits come from? I learned long before the Sushi School thread to NOT do the things @PorkyBelly witnessed at Yuzu. But these were all things I was instructed to and did at onetime.

Hmmm :thinking:

I must be doing well in my 101’s. Because I was going to answer @Midlife’s inquiry almost verbatim. :slight_smile:

1 Like