In Search of Chinese Beef Noodle Soup - Bull Demon King, Dai Ho, Popcorn Chicken and Corner Beef Noodle House!

The USDA approved horse meat slaughterhouse for consumption not too long ago IIRC.

1 Like

Hi @A5KOBE,

Wow, good to know. Thanks.

Not sure it is legal to sell horse meat for consumption in the USA though.

Mian is co-owned by Tony Xu, the chef behind Chengdu Taste (surprised no one else here mentioned that).

2 Likes

i know both places are popular but i’m not all that big a fan of either, though i did really like the spicy wontons at mian that included anise in the flavor profile.

I’m not sure Angelenos would even eat it if it were served to them. They might just stare at it as if it were a plain boiled potato or something. (Cheers to anyone who gets the reference)

Good to know - will bring some home (and that Gjusta mostarda) on my next trip.

1 Like

I ate it once when I was a child. Even then I didn’t like hunks of meat, though, so I don’t have fond memories. It was stewed, gamy and tough, that’s all I recall.

Indeed they did. And now we can get haute Le Cheval in Pittsburgh of all places.

1 Like

Mian sucks.

Agreed

Calling @TonyC

Simply correcting a misstatement about the ownership. Nothing more, nothing less. You and Tony could have it out, were he here.

mian is better than shi hai

I would hope so. Especially since Shi Hai is now closed.

That said, comparing Mian to a Canto/Dim Sum place is a rather interesting non sequitur.

actually, the comparison was made assuming you were hammering on tonyc’s endorsement of mian. tonyc’s endorsement of shi hai was even more egregious. too bad if you’re not quick enough on the uptake to follow aloing.

Wrong, you assumed.

I was not hammering on @TonyC’s endorsement of Mian, or really anyone’s endorsement of Mian.

I was only commenting on Mian – specifically, my own lack of endorsement of the place.

1 Like

This post gives me hope that there are still some tasty beef noodle soups out there in SoCal!

For those who have been, where does Remy’s Noodle Palace (City of Industry) fit into the ranks? Its Chinese name was taken from Chuan Wei Lao Zhang beef noodles in Taipei (over half a century old) but I’m guessing no affiliation.

Back in 2007 when I last went to Dai Ho, it was more known for their brothless noodles. The Taiwanese expat customers at the time mostly focused on sesame sauce noodles, or their meat paste noodles or dan dan style dry. Beef noodle soup was mostly an afterthought despite its higher price at the time (though guessing probably lower than now). And this is interesting considering the name of the shop contains “Lu Wei” (simmered/marinated small deli plates/apps which are good to have with the noodles). Is the owner who was dubbed the noodle dictactor still around? He was infamous for telling customers (even the Taiwanese expats) the proper way to toss/mix the noodles, almost like barking orders. Reviewers said he’s ex-Taiwanese military, some expats thought it was a former gangster boss who was just passionate about noodles and sharing forcefully, how to enjoy them… In memory the noodle texture was king (at the time) at least blowing away anything Northern California had to offer (which was not much at all).

The beef noodle soup culture in Taiwan is really amazing, deep, and wide and in some ways far more enjoyable than ramen when visiting over there. So many styles beyond the stewed version (hong shao), from using Lanzhou style hand pulled noodles, to Sanuki udon, to some extremes like using five cuts of beef from different cows across 5 countries (including Matsuzaka beef), milky sullungtang ox knee bone light broth versions, tomato based but not anything like Bo Kho, to making the beef consomme served in a Yunnan steam pot for beef noodles, and more. Some places have killer small plates to go with the beef noodles, some also have put some killer details in their chili paste that might look a bit more like miso, but incorporates bone marrow (one place in Taipei I think uses the specific spinal part), to add additional kick and fattiness to the broth, and for the hong shao broth fans, the addition of pungent pickled mustard greens is a vital component to complete the experience (of which from the bowls in the original post, Popcorn Chicken has that as an included side which is a nice touch).

4 Likes

I was watching a show on Channel 18 that featured Dai Ho which also guest starred Clarissa Wei.

The owner said the “zhao pai”(house special) was a plate of “lu wei” beef. Most online reviews don’t mentioned it.

1 Like

They’re actually known for their 滷味 (been that way since they’re old location in Monterey Park).

Really like their duck wing 滷味.

2 Likes

I would not go to Remy’s. For beef noodle, or much of anything else. Especially given its location, where it’s literally surrounded by good (and better) options.