In Search of Chinese Beef Noodle Soup - Bull Demon King, Dai Ho, Popcorn Chicken and Corner Beef Noodle House!

In the corporate sense.

1 Like

some places offer a spicy version. bull demon offers four levels. i’ve had level four, mainly to say that i had.

Beef Noodle Soup, Northern Cafe, Westwood

IMG_6880

So good. I’ve always liked the broth here, it’s not overly herbaceous as some other Westside places. Sometimes I like fat noodles, and these are nice and chewy.

My son eats the beef and an order of “juicy pork” dumplings, plus a couple slices of pizza from Lamonicas next door. We are a good eating team. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Family bangbang. Nice.

Update 2:

It had been too long since we had Corner Beef Noodle House’s wonderfully complex, fragrant Chinese Beef Noodle Soup. Time for a revisit!

Beef Noodle Soup (Half Meat / Half Tendon Beef Stew):

The first sip is an immediate reminder of the goodness: Fragrant, herbally, complex, it tastes like the result of years of cooking. Delicious! :heart:

The Beef Shank is meaty and just barely tender, and in our last couple of visits, they are served in thick, large slabs, a sign of laziness. With no knife provided, you have to lift up these large cuts of Beef and rip off a bite of the Beef Shank to eat with your Noodles. It’s rather unpleasant and a couple pieces were really firm. it remains the weak point at Corner Beef Noodle House.

The Beef Tendon is much better: Gelatinous, but still having some density; quite supple and delicious. :blush:

Their Noodles are a thicker variety and hold up well in the complex Beef Soup.

One minor annoyance: They now only provide a small thimble-size container of Pickled Vegetables to eat with their Beef Noodle Soup. :expressionless: And the actual Pickled Vegetables are nowhere near as revelatory as Cindy’s Kitchen’s version.

X.O. Sauce on Noodles (Dry):

One of the surprising gems of Corner Beef Noodle House is their X.O. Sauce Noodles. They make their own X.O. Sauce in-house and it is spectacular!

There’s a real burst of beautiful oceanic flavors from their Housemade X.O. Sauce, with Shrimp and Scallops and other seasonings coming through. Delicious! (Thanks again @ipsedixit!)

Large Wenzhou Wonton Soup:

Corner Beef Noodle House also serves a great Handmade Wenzhou Wonton: It’s much more engaging and flavorful than the usual Wontons found at many shops around the SGV. First, as the menu states, these are indeed large: Probably 4 - 5 times the size of a standard Hong Kong-style Wonton! :open_mouth:

The Wonton Soup itself is also a step above the typical flavors: It’s more clarified, light, but still aromatic with generous usage of Ginger and Green Onions and Fried Garlic.

Corner Beef Noodle House remains one of the standout places for Chinese Beef Noodle Soup locally, with arguably the most complex and distinct Beef Soup. The Beef Shank is their weak point, though, too inconsistent and in big, unwieldy slabs that are often not cooked long enough. However, the bowl is still delicious enough, especially with their tender Beef Tendon and that amazing Beef Soup, their stunning X.O. Sauce Dry Noodles, and the Large Wenzhou Wonton Soup, which is one of our favorite Handmade Wontons in the area at this point.

(Cash Only)

Corner Beef Noodle House
3948 Peck Rd.
El Monte, CA 91732
Tel: (626) 453-8865

3 Likes