In Search of Golden, Crispy, Delectable Fried Chicken - Farmshop, Pann's, Jim Dandy, Huckleberry, The Brentwood, Republique, Honeybird, Howlin' Ray's and more!

Nice report @Chowseeker1999. Has your fried chicken gjourney taken you to gjusta yet?

2 Likes

I enjoyed it. I went during lunch to avoid the night crowd.

1 Like

The Venice and WeHo locations of Night + Market now take reservations via Resy.

2 Likes

This is all academic for me at this point (since I live out of town and haven’t gotten around to waiting in line at HR – nor have I made to Gjusta yet), but didn’t someone (Ipse maybe) say that Gjusta’s fried chicken at brunch was less than good? Really looking forward to trying both those places.

Hi @CeleryVictor,

Gjusta doesn’t serve Fried Chicken for lunch. I hope you enjoy your visit. :slight_smile:

You’re probably thinking of @moonboy403 and republique.

Gjusta’s fried chicken is worth ordering.

2 Likes

@Chowseeker1999 you are truly doing God’s work. Thanks for always willing to share your experiences with us.

1 Like

Look what I found on Instagram @Chowseeker1999 :grin:

I wonder if it gets soggy. And is that bread normal?

2 Likes

Hi @TheCookie,

Wow.

Hm… slow cooked, tender, deeply savory Collard Greens (with Pork Belly) topped onto Howlin’ Ray’s Chicken Sando? Crispy, crunchy, spicy tender Chicken with the moist Stewed Collard Greens? That might work. :wink:

I enjoy eating both of those things in bites, back-to-back when I’m there, so it should work together? :slight_smile: Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @attran99,

You’re too kind. I’m always eager to hear about more of your adventures as well, thanks!

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Yes I have tried it, thanks to you. :slight_smile: Incoming…

1 Like

10am Sunday. Seriously WTF???

3 Likes

I gotta ask Johnny or Amanda next time when is the Westside location going to open!!???!!??!!

An hour before opening wasn’t too bad of a wait before if I can recall.

If waiting at LASA= 1-1.5 hour

I think it was pushing 2+hrs. Overheard folks in line taking.

Hi @Sgee,

Yah, weekends are just the busiest unfortunately. :frowning: We tend to avoid Saturday / Sunday, unless we have a group going and we take turns rotating (some hold the line, while others can get a coffee / ice tea, walk around and come back).

In our last visit on a weekday, at 10:20 a.m. there were only like five people in line.

1 Like

My sister said she has ordered take out but it was a month in advance. Can you do that?

Hi @Luluthemagnificent,

Yes, IIRC Howlin’ has a limited number of slots for take-out orders ahead of time, but there’s a minimum amount required to order (and right now they’ve closed all take-out / pre-orders).

Last time I did it you had to pick up before opening. So you basically have to eat lunch at 11 or eat colder HR. I wouldn’t preorder sandwiches again…YMMV.

Finally tried Gus’ and it’s really awesome. And that was at the office, catered lunch, chicken that was fried hours ago. Microwaved to reheat and still crazy juicy and flavorful.

3 Likes

Ahhh… good to know. Maybe I’ll give it a 3rd try. It was the opposite of crazy juicy the times we tried it.