In Search of Golden, Crispy, Delectable Fried Chicken - Farmshop, Pann's, Jim Dandy, Huckleberry, The Brentwood, Republique, Honeybird, Howlin' Ray's and more!

I haven’t had a chance to go back (so I’ve only been once!)! I do think I wouldn’t mind doing a new Level 3 and then maybe a country style to cool my mouth. :wink:

Is Chef Zone b/c he’s prepping the Culver City location? I actually do think the chicken is worth the wait, but drive time to Chinatown + wait = annoying.

2 Likes

Hi @Chowseeker1999 -

Nope, I can only imagine how special they undoubtedly are… and how long the wait is to get them. :grimacing: But I need to be in that area next week (weekday) and will definitely get me some of them wings. I think I’ll try a sandwich for the first time too. It’s just hard to pull myself away from their juicy, crispy, bone-in-skin-on yummy-ness.

P.S. I don’t really compare all Fried Chicken to HR’s. It would be a let down. It’s like comparing a really good garage band to The Clash.

:rooster: Cluck, Cluck!

1 Like

Hi @paranoidgarliclover,

Yes, from what I understand he’s definitely still prepping for the 2nd location and busy with that work. But he still shows up to run the kitchen on many days (our friends just saw him the past weekend).

I hope you get a chance to go back soon and try the Level 3 + 1 combo (good idea)! :slight_smile:

Hi @TheCookie,

Nice! I hope you get a chance to stop by early on a weekday and enjoy some delicious Howlin’ Ray’s again. For your dilemma, they sell Wings either as a 1 piece, 3 piece or the “Batters Box” (12 Wings), so just get 1 Wing, 1 regular piece of Fried Chicken (white or dark) and split the Chicken Sandwich in half and enjoy! :wink: :grin: They are all so good!

As for comparing other Fried Chicken to Howlin’ Ray’s, LOL, one of my best friends just said the same thing on this food trip! As we were about to enter 77 Kentucky, she said, “I don’t think it’s a good idea to compare any of these new places to Howlin’ Ray’s… you know it’s going to disappoint.” LOL! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Perfect.

I agree with your friend. :sweat_smile: Howlin’ Ray’s fried chicken is twilight. We can compare the other guys’ to each other.

1 Like

Nice report @Chowseeker1999. Has your fried chicken gjourney taken you to gjusta yet?

2 Likes

I enjoyed it. I went during lunch to avoid the night crowd.

1 Like

The Venice and WeHo locations of Night + Market now take reservations via Resy.

2 Likes

This is all academic for me at this point (since I live out of town and haven’t gotten around to waiting in line at HR – nor have I made to Gjusta yet), but didn’t someone (Ipse maybe) say that Gjusta’s fried chicken at brunch was less than good? Really looking forward to trying both those places.

Hi @CeleryVictor,

Gjusta doesn’t serve Fried Chicken for lunch. I hope you enjoy your visit. :slight_smile:

You’re probably thinking of @moonboy403 and republique.

Gjusta’s fried chicken is worth ordering.

2 Likes

@Chowseeker1999 you are truly doing God’s work. Thanks for always willing to share your experiences with us.

1 Like

Look what I found on Instagram @Chowseeker1999 :grin:

I wonder if it gets soggy. And is that bread normal?

2 Likes

Hi @TheCookie,

Wow.

Hm… slow cooked, tender, deeply savory Collard Greens (with Pork Belly) topped onto Howlin’ Ray’s Chicken Sando? Crispy, crunchy, spicy tender Chicken with the moist Stewed Collard Greens? That might work. :wink:

I enjoy eating both of those things in bites, back-to-back when I’m there, so it should work together? :slight_smile: Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @attran99,

You’re too kind. I’m always eager to hear about more of your adventures as well, thanks!

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Yes I have tried it, thanks to you. :slight_smile: Incoming…

1 Like

10am Sunday. Seriously WTF???

3 Likes

I gotta ask Johnny or Amanda next time when is the Westside location going to open!!???!!??!!

An hour before opening wasn’t too bad of a wait before if I can recall.

If waiting at LASA= 1-1.5 hour

I think it was pushing 2+hrs. Overheard folks in line taking.

Hi @Sgee,

Yah, weekends are just the busiest unfortunately. :frowning: We tend to avoid Saturday / Sunday, unless we have a group going and we take turns rotating (some hold the line, while others can get a coffee / ice tea, walk around and come back).

In our last visit on a weekday, at 10:20 a.m. there were only like five people in line.

1 Like