In Search of Lunchtime Pasta, from Disappointing to Excellent - Knead & Co., Pasta Sisters, Cento Pasta Bar, Bulgarini, Factory Kitchen and Drago Centro

sure, it’s off topic, it may be apples and oranges and i sound like a bigger blowhard than usual, but, in terms
of experience:

the museo nacional de antropologia in d.f. just about blows the louvre out of the agua.

1 Like

@President_Mochi - They’re booked already! We’ll have to wait for Felix.

1 Like

i prefer the musee d’orsay to the louvre myself; the most interesting tidbit i can recall from going to the louvre was happening to be in line right behind a guy named paul who said he was the head winemaker for korbel. he was in town for some winemaking convention. the guy is in paris on an expense account, and as a winemaker, he’s fairly knowledgeable about food/wine pairings - and the only thing he ate all week were the baguettes split down the middle with a hot dog covered in melted cheese sold by street vendors: “… they’re so GOOD!..”. even thomas keller sometimes just wants a burger.

2 Likes

Literally everyone I’ve asked thinks Pujol is not that great… but I’m still going to go because it’s so incredibly cheap, and I need to judge for myself.

What other fine-dining should I go to?

I was planning on just Ubering everywhere. It costs like $1-2. Do you know how much it is to hire a private driver for a month? What companies would I look at?

Wow! Not the best thing we had last visit, but definitely good!! Along with the ham and cheese crepe from the same stand.

Um, excuse me @linus @secretasianman & @Google_Gourmet, if I might direct your attention over this way… France Trip

neato. dig the d’orsay myself.

not really the point, though.

1 Like

Ahem. I know this is pot kettle black and all that, but since @Aesthete has alredy started a thread on this (Spending a month in Mexico City - Worth Booking Fine-Dining In Advance?), it might be useful to continue the conversation there (esp since it’d be useful for future reference)…

1 Like

Everyone says the DF cabs are dangerous but we took them day and night with no problems at all. This was 3 years ago so Uber may be a better bet now.

I am sure Contramer is on your list.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/contramar-méxico-2

We also did a night taco/mezcal trip and a day San Juan Market trip with Francisco di Santiago from Eat Mexico - both were a blast

1 Like

And how do you know all of this? Because Evan told you all of this personally? Or is this just the usual “I want to seem like I’m a cool food insider so I’m gonna speculate out of my ass” hyperbole and opinion?

2 Likes

Who’s talking to you?

Update 3:

Short update, managed to be in the area so stopped by Cento again.

Cento Pasta Bar

Crostino (Chicken Liver, Raisin Gastrique):

Their Chicken Liver spread is well-balanced, not too funky, and something I think @theoffalo would dig. :slight_smile: The Raisin Gastrique was great, that little shot of sweetness to balance the offal.

Crostino (Avocado, Truffle Cream):

I think it was @ipsedixit and @J_L who recommended this dish. Just delicious! :slight_smile: Perfectly ripe, fresh Avocado, the Bread and Truffle Cream and some Sea Salt brought it all together.

Riccioli (Pea, Preserved Lemon, Pea Tendrils):

Wow! I’m so glad fresh English Peas are back in season! Cento’s Riccioli Pasta’s star are the fresh English Peas, incorporated into the sauce. Every bite exudes that pure, delicate sweetness that only fresh English Peas have (not frozen), some earthiness and springtime qualities.

Wed - Sat
11 a.m. - 3 p.m.

Cento Pasta Bar (at Mignon)
128 E. 6th St.
Los Angeles, CA 90014
Tel: (213) 489-0131

9 Likes

Yup, I would like that. Looks better than Pizzeria Mozza’s chicken liver toast the two times I had it. The liver was just a tad overcooked and grainy and bitter. But I liked it, because I’m overcooked, grainy, and bitter too…

2 Likes

As so many of us are, alas… :wink:

1 Like

1 Like

Since you’re supporting what @Aesthete wrote, I’m writing to both you and @Aesthete. Since both of you admit not knowing Evan personally, you shouldn’t speculate or feed assumptions or rumors that @Aesthete and you have no personal knowledge of.

You need a hug

@Chowseeker1999 - Ate at Pasta Sisters.
A little gem. We had a Tagliatelle & a Penne w/3 Cheeses, Spaghetti Bolognese, Salmon & Roasted Broccoli w/Pine Nuts. The handmade pasta was perfect. The 3 cheese sauce was delicious w/just the perfect amount of cream & cheese. Mix/match pasta worked for my husband, who’s old-school and likes his bolognese with spaghetti. He thought it was a little under-sauced. Asking for extra next time.

I’m not surprised the Uni Pasta didn’t work. I love grilled wild-caught salmon w/pasta & cream sauce. But this did not work. It was over-cooked, possibly to mask that it was frozen… not sure. The broccoli was a little too charred and salty. No harm. This is a great pasta & sauce place! Stick with that.

The family is very Italian and charmingly bossy. The self-professed Pasta Nazi Carlo wouldn’t put my salmon & pasta on the same plate. “You cannot have cheese and fish together”… Okay, okay. He’s also good at up-selling. We came away with Tiramisu & Apricot Cake.

They do a brisk take-out business. But, you should really eat this pasta right out of the kitchen. Or, take home fresh pasta & sauce to cook yourself.

3 pastas, fish entree, 2 drinks, 2 desserts about $70. Incl. tip.

Great find seekers!

Hi @TheCookie,

Thanks for the great report back. :slight_smile:

Yah the mix and match possibility is nice for people who just like certain combinations over the “traditional” combination.

For my Bolognese Tagliatelle, it was a great match and enough sauce (as seen in the pic). It was probably my fav pasta at Pasta Sisters (and along with Cento’s Bolognese are 2 of the best I’ve had for lunch recently). And a bargain at $8.75.

Their Pesto Sauce is pretty nice as wel, so you might try that next time.

Bummer about the Salmon, but I think your report matches what I found with their Uni: That they aren’t outfitted / ready to handle fresh Seafood. The Uni we had tasted old, and your Salmon sounds like it was frozen and overcooked. Seems like the best idea is to stick with their Pastas and Sauces. :slight_smile:

Thanks.

@Chowseeker1999 - Yes we will definitely return to Pasta Sisters. Ate the desserts this morning. Delicious. They are as good and thought out as the pastas. Plus they’re using seasonal fruits.

They provide a small container of cocoa powder to sprinkle on the tiramisu at home. We wolfed down the apricot cake without photographing.
:yum:

4 Likes