In Search of Lunchtime Pasta, from Disappointing to Excellent - Knead & Co., Pasta Sisters, Cento Pasta Bar, Bulgarini, Factory Kitchen and Drago Centro

I believe most, if not all, salmon intended to be eaten as sashimi (or sake) will be flash-frozen to kill parasites.

And even those that are intended to be prepped with some sort of heat, will have been frozen at some point during the entire process from sea to table.

Salmon only?

Unless youā€™re buying your seafood straight off the fishing boat, just about all (if not all) of the fish you buy at the market, or order from a restaurant menu, has been flash-frozen within minutes of being captured from the sea.

2 Likes

Seems like a safe measure. Thanks ipse!

I donā€™t need to see my meal in itā€™s original state of gasping for air and struggling to survive. Yes, I know Iā€™m a hypocrite.

A good friend gifted us with two abalone today, fresh out of frigid CA waters last night. No signs of ever being a living organism previous. Lovely as sashimi, and flash fried.

10 Likes

I find whole raw fish intimidating. Even sardines.

I had a girlfriend (from the South) who would/could not eat fish unless her portion was square or rectangular shaped.

We didnā€™t eat much fish together during the years we were together. :slight_smile:

I did too. But the fishmonger at Wholefoods talked me into grilling a whole branzino. He did gut it for me. But it was quick and easy and I got a lot of oohs & aahhs.

1 Like

You have not experienced marine euphoria until youā€™ve had fish eyeballs.

2 Likes

Stop it!

When my grandparents were still alive, the fish eyeballs were always reserved for them during holiday dinner gatherings. With grandma getting first dibs then grandpa. Yā€™know, that whole respect your elders thing.

Then when they passed (may they both eat well while resting in peace), it was game on! Whoever was most facile with chopstick-fu, got themselves some yummy eyeballs.

2 Likes

This is driving me crazy :relaxed:.

@TheCookie I was thinking whole branzino may be my starter fish, using the Mozza cookbook as a guide. I trust Nancy.

@Google_Gourmet Iā€™ll eat it, but I donā€™t want to touch it in its whole raw form. And what a nice boyfriend you are!

@ipsedixit Little eyeballs? Are they like salmon caviar texture? Geez, Iā€™m imagining being guest of honor at a Chinese banquet and eating fish eyeballs prettily and graciously. I donā€™t knowā€¦

1 Like

Hmm, not quite.

Think freshly made tapioca balls.

Hereā€™s the trick not to just eating fish eyeballs but enjoying them. DO NOT SWALLOW TOO FAST.

Roll the eyes around your mouth a bit, let the tongue play a little table tennis with those eyes, then gently squeeze the eyes between the tongue and the roof of your mouth, so you get a nice gush of unctuous fish flavor, then slowly chew them so as to fully experience the gelatinous fatty texture of the eye, before slowly letting your throat envelope the whole of that marine optical jewel.

2 Likes

2 Likes

:expressionless: please, pleaseā€¦ I beg of you to stop this.

Dude you totally omitted the somewhat bone-hard center of that fish eyeball, a fact which often catches unsuspecting n00bs by total surprise. But fear not, for this too is not insurmountable. The key is to position this nugget of goodness between the upper and lower canines, and slowly apply pressure, thereby allowing more gooey fishy vitreous goodness to erupt into oneā€™s unsuspecting oral edificeā€¦

1 Like

Very funny