In Search of Lunchtime Pasta, from Disappointing to Excellent - Knead & Co., Pasta Sisters, Cento Pasta Bar, Bulgarini, Factory Kitchen and Drago Centro

Who ever thought 18% was not a tip??

Unless I’ve unknowingly been stuffing the staff … even once those healthcare surcharges hit 4% I start feeling weird about it, but 18% would be absolutely absurd. If they’re really fucking their employees completely by ensuring they don’t get tipped instead of rolling that into the price of the food, they are assholes of the largest magnitude imaginable, and deserve to by boycott.

But supposing they aren’t the biggest assholes in the world and just do mandatory tipping like many other places…

Do most people not have specific pasta cravings? I have specific ones. For example, if I want something French-leaning with certain thick sauce, more vegetal-leaning, I’ll go to Republique; if I want seafood and spice I’ll go to Bestia; if I want extraordinary Italian American like a vodka sauce, I’ll go to Jon and Vinny’s.

Do other people just crave “pasta in general” and pick a place based on the price?

To me, Jon and Vinny’s has no competition. If I want a great version of vodka sauce pasta, I can go there or go to Las Vegas to Carbone. So they can charge monopolistic pricing if they want.

In another sense though, one would imagine the rent that pasta sisters pays versus Jon and Vinny’s must be stunningly lower…Jon and Vinny’s is located in one of the hippest districts in all of LA.

But who knows. It would be nice if more places somehow managed to make handmade pasta for $8. Hopefully it becomes a trend.

Okay. It’s a slow day. I’ll bite. Also for sentimental reasons. This is the first thread where you and I conversed… and were also removed from. So that was fun. Have you noticed? A lot of threads you’re involved with get split.

Anyway, nice breakdown on the different sources you go to satisfy your pasta cravings.

Not me. I crave sauce.

No

Definitely. And, you can imagine with the press Pasta Sisters is getting, they are struggling with the compulsion to move and expand while keeping it true to their core.

“Good” handmade pasta you mean. It wasn’t always good (heavy). There’s a new crop of pasta makers in L.A. that are bringing it.

Happy Pasta Eating.

Well to my mind, the purpose of discussion forums is to discuss things. I don’t really notice the splitting personally, but to my mind I also don’t hold a gun to anyone’s head, people are free to discuss or not discuss at their leisure. shrugs

Who makes bad handmade pasta in the city? It seems like anyone that does it pretty much does it well. The effort involved seems to guarantee it or keep anyone that sucks at it out of the game. But then again I may just be unaware of the people doing it that suck at it.

Also, why would Pasta Sisters move? They have hour long lines out the door in a low-rent area…that’s the perfect set up isn’t it? Clearly no one cares if they are located in The Arts District, or Fairfax or anything. I would imagine they would be pretty happy staying put. But I could be wrong. I am sure people would be happy to see them expand into a huge restaurant to accomodate the demand better…but then they would be just like everybody else, no?

See? I think you just described what they are probably turning over in their minds right about now.

Ahhh… but you would be wrong. I won’t mention names. But there was a time - probably when you were in grade school - when Italian restaurants started promoting and making handmade pastas. A lot of it was heavy and starchy, leading me to believe I preferred dry. Effort does not guarantee it doesn’t “suck”. That’s why guys like Funke, Avner, Jon & Vinny and the Pasta Sisters are revered. They studied. And yes, they are now keeping the pretenders “out of the game”.

Thanks @TheCookie.

Yah the QPR at Pasta Sisters and Cento Pasta to an extent is borderline ridiculous (so cheap, such great quality). :slight_smile:

@Aesthete, good question. The most recent example of fresh, handmade pasta that was not good? Knead & Co. / Union Pasadena. Just not a fan of many of their dishes. Excessive, heavy-handed, greasy. Their Cavatelli was one of the more disappointing pastas I’ve had in a long time.

1 Like

Hah… Our resident pasta researcher says there are still bad ones out there. Maybe I’ll read your original report again. Great info. Thanks!

Where else can I get handmade pasta and vodka sauce?

You should eat it at Jon & Vinny’s. It’s one of those dishes that younger chefs might consider passé (very 90’s). But I love that J&V serve it.

Ok, so you’re retracting the statement that one ought to pass on Jon and Vinny’s for pasta then?

Go to bed

Doesn’t really answer the question.

If you’re going to publicly tell people not to go to a restaurant, it seems like it would be nice if there was an actual reason behind doing so…

Granted, I’m pretty insane, but is that actually that crazy?..

Yes you are pretty insane.

We’re allowed to like both places. Pasta Sisters is not a hip sitdown like Jon & Vinny’s. We like to take out-of-town friends to J&V. We took our son there for his birthday. They serve delicious food and desserts and provide good service. It’s a cool spot that represents the new L.A. food scene well. We will continue to go there as long as they’re open. Along with Animal… my favorite restaurant! But when you are just “craving” a great bowl of pasta, go to Pasta Sisters. It’s an unfussy, no frills spot with beautifully made pasta by a sweet, funny family, for mostly under $10.

If anyone didn’t understand what I originally wrote raise your hand. Not you Aesthete.

Happy Pasta Eating! Darn it! :relaxed:

4 Likes

Sorry @Chowseeker1999. I now owe you a good pasta report.

1 Like

May I just add one more thing? Then I’ll be quiet. I also like that Jon & Vinny’s is in Damiano’s old spot :slight_smile:. It’s somehow fitting.

You can speak as loudly as you like. Your opinions are as valid as anyone else’s.

And I agree, restaurants are often chosen depending on one’s mood or company, not just for the food. Unless you are craving something very specific , which is only offered in one place.

But pasta? That’s a no brainer.

2 Likes

You can’t stop me from posting. Sorry.

I like both places. YOU are the one telling people specifically not to go to Jon and Vinny’s.

So, I’ll just point out for those reading that you’re now taking your statement back. You actually meant the complete opposite when you told people not to go to Jon and Vinny’s, what you really meant is that it’s an incredible restaurant, one of the best in LA, that they should definitely eat at!

Brilliant.

All pasta tastes the same?

Where is the no brainer place? There’s at least 6-7 places in LA that all do great pasta in different ways (Republique, Bestia, J&V, Pasta Sisters, Cento, Sotto, Tasting Kitchen…), I am sure I’m leaving some off as well…

I guess I view pasta much differently than most people, not as a singular dish, but a category of very unique dishes with specific flavors and experiences that I choose to seek out based on the flavors and textures I am specifically in the mood for…

A[quote=“Bookwich, post:136, topic:3011”]
And I agree, restaurants are often chosen depending on one’s mood or company, not just for the food. Unless you are craving something very specific , which is only offered in one place.
[/quote]

You just made my point.

2 Likes

I just had an amazing pasta dish at Odys and Penelopes of all places. Their papardelle with ragu is seriously crave worthy. Was easily the best dish of the night. Rest of the meal was somewhat meh.

3 Likes

those crazy Hatfields.

3 Likes