In Search of Lunchtime Pasta, from Disappointing to Excellent - Knead & Co., Pasta Sisters, Cento Pasta Bar, Bulgarini, Factory Kitchen and Drago Centro

Do you think it would be rude to bring a baguette with me to Cento?

Hi @Bookwich,

I like your thinking, sopping up the delicious sauce with some baguette. :wink:

Chef Avner’s really nice and kickback, so I don’t think he’d mind or say anything. He doesn’t offer bread service anyways, and you’re ordering / paying for a pasta from the menu.

1 Like

It’s not technically pasta I guess, but is Dai Ho legit (noodle Nazi’s supposedly)?

http://features.laweekly.com/99_essential_restaurants_2015/dai-ho-kitchen.html

In this FoodGPS interview it says the owners “buys egg noodles”… which seems like it is not, in fact, the small batch housemade noodles…

Also… anyone going to try the new handmade pasta food truck?

no, just be polite about it.

Come again? How is it technically not pasta?

OG legit.

No durum wheat? Maybe just linguistic technicality?

That interview is wring right? They make the noodles in house, yes?

Many western (or Italian) pastas aren’t made from durum wheat. Orzo, pappardelle, gnocchi, to name a few. So, by your definition, a pappardelle bolognese is not … pasta?

Noodles are handmade. Not in-house. Never was, never will be.

Second that.

Pasta is Italian noodles.

2 Likes

Not according to @Aesthete, at least.

I guess according to Italian law, they are not pasta haha

It’s not my definition, just what I’ve read elsewhere.

Where are the noodles handmade if not in-house? What makes the noodles special if not made in-house?

They’re outsourced. Lots of places in SGV specialize in handmade noodles for restaurants of all types, from mom-and-pop “bowl of noodle” joints to fancier sit-down family type restaurants.

Truth be told, these places that sell handmade noodles are more often than not better (much better) than the run-of-the-mill noodle shops in/around SGV (west and east) who are all hawking handmade, hand-rolled, hand-cut or even hand-formed noodles. Because most of the time, it’s just hacks behind the kitchen slinging out ropes of wet dough.

So how can one dine at the actual source of the noodles?

You can’t. They’re not restaurants. They’re food factories.

Go to this guy’s village?

So you were saying that the places that buy from the factories are better than places that make in-house right?

Also…how do you know if someone is buying from the hot factories or not?

Got anything similar in LA? lol

Yes, some at least.

You talk to people.

What kinds of people specifically?

The kinds that answer the phone at the restaurant? Or waits on restaurant’s customers?

Just guessing here.