Indian Food Recs Beverly Hills to Hollywood

Slightly west is the Bombay Frankie Company. It has a limited menu and is located in a gas station on Santa Monica Blvd., just west of the 405. I had the chicken tikka frankie in a garlic nan and it had some kick. I don’t recall any tables or seats so plan on eating in your car or taking it away.
Parking is tight but there is a lot behind the gas station.

You’re not talking about Bollywood Bites are you? I always liked that place back when it was just a food truck! Only been to the Gayley brick-and-mortar once, but I didn’t have a bad experience. Care to share more about your experience?

Why are these people making frankies with naans?

1 Like

Please allow me to torture you.

I could be? I’ll have to check next time I’m in the area. This was awhile (maybe almost 2 yrs?) ago, and I remember one of the sauces being this bizarro shade of red (verging on fluorescent) and tasting totally insipid. I think I thought it was vile b/c of taste + appearance (rather than just taste alone).

First stop, Zam Zam Market for some chicken biryani. Make sure you get extra green chutney. You might also want to give Al Watan a try.

What’s really frustrating is they have parathas on the menu. My review:

1 Like

I’m with @Bigmouth

Zam Zam after 4pm so you can get an order chicken biryani and lamb biryani. Then proceed to Al Watan for tandoori mixed plate, lamb dal, lentils, and garlic naan.

This will probably feed 6-8 people. No joke.

2 Likes

Friend hasn’t had Indian in awhile and doesn’t mind driving out w/ me to Lawndale today for lunch. For those of us who don’t have a super well-developed palate for Indian food, are there significant differences btw Al Watan and Al Noor? I tried one of these places many yrs ago and very much enjoyed it, but I can’t remember which one I went to…

Al Noor is just a teensy bit more westernized. It’s cleaner, the curries are less, oily, etc. But it’s still legit Indian/Pakistani food.

Al Watan is a little grubbier and arguably a teensy bit more authentic. It’s the place to go for tandoori chicken, kebabs, etc. They use mesquite IIRC. I also like their chicken tikka masala, but it comes with a slick of oil on top that some find unappetizing. Here’s a pic:

BTW, if you go to Al Watan, try the buttered seasame naan:

3 Likes

If it matters to you and your friend, Al Noor offers Indian appetizers while all Al Watan offers as a starter is a salad. However, the mixed tandoori at Al Watan (huge) is about the best I’ve had in California and the onion kulcha is also excellent as is the nehari.

1 Like

We did Al-Watan and LOVED it! Pics on the Weekend Rundown.

2 Likes

Back at the India Sweets House for the weekend special masala dosa and rasmalai

Even feeding the city of LA by getting a parking ticket. What kind of antichrist tickets a scooter. Sheesh

3 Likes

What about the place on Pico next to Penguin?

?

(please dont’ be a 7-eleven joke, please dont’ be a 7-eleven joke)

Er, a cross street might be helpful…

To use a @PorkyBelly -ism…

Has anyone ever seen @Nemroz and the Hoff in the same room???

6 Likes

ok that’s funnier than you think because i have the same model and color scootie

3 Likes

Only been a couple times, but I love Bombay Grill, tucked away in a strip mall in Hollywood. The food has such a depth of flavor here from all the layers of spicing - they certainly seem to use more whole seeds, leaves, peppercorns, etc than most places in the area, e.g. Crown of India, Anarkali, Cardamom.

Some of my favorite dishes are the bhindi fry, yellow tarka dal, and chicken biryani. In general, they seem to pay a lot of attention to the little things. I appreciate the spinach flavor in the saag dishes is more pronounced, not so overwhelmed by the dairy. Even the raita tastes better because there’s more fresh cucumber to brighten the yogurt.

I didn’t write about this place sooner because I thought they closed in January! Then I was driving by last week and randomly spotted their door open again. Turns out the chef/owner makes an annual trip to India and closes the restaurant while he’s away - he’s literally the only cook in the kitchen from what I could see (while his kids take turns running front of house). He usually goes for a month but this year, he extended his trip to almost 3 months! I wonder if they lost a lot of business because people assumed, as I did, that they permanently closed. To complicate matters, they said their landlord told them they have to leave at the end of August because of remodeling. They’re in the same strip mall as Soregashi and Trejo’s Coffee & Donuts, but those 2 don’t have to leave because they’re much newer. Anyway, sorry for the rambling - I just hope they stick around for a while because they’re really sweet, and the food’s great.

Not sure why they have two websites or which is more accurate …
http://bombaygrillla.com/
http://bombaygrilllosangeles.com/36907

1 Like

100% agree. The best examples of saag tend to have less heavy cream, hell I know some examples that have none at all. Unfortunately, many Indian restaurants put a lot of cream in their dishes, perhaps to stretch the solid ingredients further or perhaps to make the dish seem more decadent. Tastes so much better without it though.