Inn Ann OOE Omakase with Mori-san (Collaborative Review)

do you guys really think this is or is this a form of bravado/trolling?

Half internet trolling half serious. I mean it’s true, you can boycott bluefin all you want, all you’re doing is denying your tastebuds before it goes extinct.

I may subscribe to your line of thought. Tonight’s blue fin from Raku Las Vegas was sublime.

1 Like

And as the world’s ravenous appetite for cheap sushi only ramps up more in the coming years, the outlook for bluefin tuna in the wild is bleak.

1 Like

On a related note have unagi stocks replenished,or has that ship sailed too?

That.

I HATE when these things escalate here, and the mods then have to wipe out swaths of reasonable people disagreeing because it gets more and more bellicose. Unfortunately, I feel that coming with this discussion.
Let’s “agree to disagree” and move on, friends.

2 Likes

Unagi stocks are still in bad shape.

How about the equally delectable anago?

Conger myriaster, the species I believe is most commonly used as anago, is listed as “least concern” on the IUCN red list. So go have a guilt-free all-anago-omakase.

Anguilla rostrata, Anguilla anguilla, Anguilla japonica (unagi) are the most commonly eaten species of fresh water eel and these are all endangered. Unlike bluefin tuna, no one has figured out how to close the life cycle in captivity. In other words, they can’t be bred, so all farmed unagi are captured wild baby eels (elvers).

2 Likes
1 Like

We went. We loved it. We drank so much champagne (which we brought) that I can’t give a dish-by-dish review, but I would go back in a heartbeat. It’s not the best sushi I have ever had – that honorific goes to the old Ginza Sushi Ko that moved to NYC – but then again it didn’t cost anywhere near what Ginza Sushi Ko cost many years ago, which is even higher now that Ginza Sushi Ko is in NYC.

Inn Ann means “hidden retreat” in Japanese and the first thing that I loved is how the restaurant is hidden at the top of the Hollywood and Highland shopping center (it is literally a pain to find and a real hike if you come up the wrong escalator). Once you succeed in finding the restaurant, you open the door and you feel like you have stumbled into a different world. That in itself reminds me of so many restaurants hidden away in Tokyo and, as such, feels very Japanese.

We ordered the biwa omakase, which is the most expensive option. I wanted that because you get more premium cuts of fish and real wasabi, but it was a lot of food. By the time the sushi course came I was already full, so next time I might order a smaller option or just sushi.

We sat at the bar with Mori. The bar, which I believe sits 6 although it could be 8, was full when we arrived but the early diners left and were not replaced, so we ended up being at the bar by ourselves for most of the evening.

There were only a few of the tables occupied throughout the evening. I generally prefer sitting at the sushi bar, but next time I might opt for a table just because the view out over Hollywood from the tables is gorgeous.

It was very easy to get a reservation for a prime time. I hope more people discover this place so that it can stay in business and support a chef of Mori’s caliber. I can’t wait to go back.

4 Likes

Had an amazing dinner with Mori-san at Inn Ann last night. He was only concentrating on making food for 7 people occupying bar seats, and there were other chefs who were making food for the rest of the restaurant. Overall ambiance, pace, and content of the meal were excellent. There were 3 parties at the sushi bar and he managed to serve all at their own pace and content quite well.
We went with omakase option (Biwa worked out to be $160pp), asked for nothing cooked and no meat, so ended up with about 4 appetizers, including several sashimi courses before diving into nigiri flights, and concluded with a couple of maki rolls and tamago. Akagai sashimi appetizer as well as akagai nigiri were definite highlights.
There were no temperature issues. NSR was quite perfect as well. However, rice was very different from last few times we dined with Mori-san at Shiki. I am no expect on technical terms and issues of sushi rice but this time rice was much “plainer” compare to what he did at Shiki. Mori-san himself looked somehow younger and more refreshed than he did at Shiki, and was cordial as ever.
Biwa worked out to be $160pp + corkage, tax, 20% tip etc, $467 total for 2 people. Will definitely repeat.

8 Likes

Even for nigiri? If so, that’s a game changer!

Yes, Mori took care of people at the bar. Nigiri for the rest of the restaurant was prepared by another chef working behind Mori.

1 Like

Hmm…now I’ll have difficulty deciding between Shin, Mori, Shunji, or Inn Ann on my next visit…

I would say Maru-san at Mori would be the strongest (but not the cheapest) nigiri option.

1 Like

I like how NSR has become a widespread acronym in describing sushi.

1 Like

Anyone want to hire an unemployed guy so I can eat sushi again? Pls respond

What does NSR stand for? nigiri sushi rice?

I’m not that cool