Inquiring about the cost of a meal: Copacetic or Verboten?

Yeah, and I can’t recall the last time I’ve felt that any poster was bragging about how much they spent (and not saying that you were suggesting that this happens here). So that’s also part of the reason why I feel like inquiring about cost is “okay.” It honestly just seems like one more piece of relevant information to me.

1 Like

I can. :thinking:

Oh… Well, live and let live?

1 Like

Exactly. It’s not my place to point this out. Peace and rainbows and puppies, ma chérie.

1 Like

[quote=“paranoidgarliclover, post:12, topic:4650”]
I feel VERY odd when I walk around/by/over the homeless folks on my way to get a $15 sandwich
[/quote]I buy them food when I can. But my husband just wants me to stay away from them :worried:.

If it’s your thing, I think it’s fine to ask price on a food board. But it can spoil my enjoyment of certain posts. If I can see exquisite nigiri with seafood I have never heard of, from places I’ve never been, I already know the price is otherworldly. But still, I don’t mind people asking and seeing the answer. But as some of you have pointed out, it can turn into a debate about prices and QPR and homelessness :rolling_eyes:. That spoils it for me.

So… here’s what my parents taught me. People can ask you anything they want. You don’t have to answer.

And right before I divorced him, I’d tell him to fuck off. Not joking.

I’ve given them leftovers including plastic utensils…after asking if they want it.

Very funny Cath. Guess I should explain. He worries about my safety, walking up to strangers on the street. He’s a tad protective and I am a tad reckless :yin_yang:.

I was just talking today with some young men about safety in Rio. I moved to SF while still in my 20s (which was long, LONG ago!) I had a personal motto that has held me in good stead. “Don’t be where you shouldn’t be when you shouldn’t be there.” So, yeah, Mr. Cath: fuck off :slight_smile:

Interesting. For me (obviously), I like being able to discuss it once in awhile. I def don’t think it’s something to discuss in the “regular” forums (and think it’s quite appropriate , but I feel like everything in life is sort of interconnected, so not talking about it all feels a little funny to me (sort of like the pink elephant in the room, to a certain extent). But I understand your point.

I have on many occasions been where lots of other people are in broad daylight and still had some very frightening experiences, so I can understand why some would be worried about safety. Of course, YMMV…

1 Like

Not just daylight. You have to read your surroundings. If there is a threatening looking even small group then cross the street/turn and go the other way. We were in Istanbul right after some of the first demonstrations. You didn’t have to tell me to not walk TOWARDS large groups of people milling about.

1 Like

Yes. My wife and I do this, especiallly when we’re travelling. It’s always been genuinely appreciated. I remember one dinner in particular where we were sitting outside at a steakhouse and offered our leftovers to someone passing by. He thanked us graciously and shouted in triumph as he walked down the street, “I got STEAK y’all!!” It made our night.

5 Likes

[quote=“paranoidgarliclover, post:33, topic:4650”]
For me (obviously), I like being able to discuss it once in awhile. I def don’t think it’s something to discuss in the “regular” forums
[/quote]Me too. I like being able to discuss it in forums like this. It’s freeing :relaxed:. I don’t mind it in any forum really. But as I wrote, people start arguing. I’m guilty of it myself.

1 Like

[quote=“OCSteve, post:35, topic:4650”]
“I got STEAK y’all!!” It made our night.
[/quote]That’s awesome. I had a similar experience. It was not as good as steak or anything :wink:. I saw a man digging in the trash outside TJ’s. I bought him a sandwich & water. He started waving it in the air at his buddy and did a little neh, neh dance.

2 Likes

Yeah. I’m pretty street smart. But my son - who is too - gave a seemingly nice homeless man money, then turned back around to his meal, and was attacked from behind by this seemingly nice homeless man. It was in broad daylight in a crowded outdoor cafe. See the man was mentally unstable. You just don’t know, is my husband’s point. He wants his family safe. Funny enough, it hasn’t stopped my son from helping people.

2 Likes

[quote=“paranoidgarliclover, post:33, topic:4650”]
certain posts.
[/quote]On most posts I think it’s fine to list price, ask price or even argue about it. But to quote myself, “certain posts” are kind of special and rare. For example @PorkyBelly’s recent Shunji post, @J_L’s n/naka or @Chowseeker1999’s love, Aburiya Raku… yes I pay attention. It kinda’ sucks when people immediately lay into the poster by critiquing the chef’s knife skills or what order the dishes were presented, and yes, asking how much it cost - instead of appreciating the person’s experience. Face it… we are judging. And for that reason I would be shy about revealing the price too.

But then again, I haven’t been to any of those places. Maybe that’s what you’re supposed to do.

I think there’s a huge difference between saying the equivalent of “care to share the cost” and “laying into” someone. Even visiting a restaurant’s website doesn’t necessarily give a clear idea. And I always have a budget so it helps me enormously. I just got a number of recs for Copenhagen and upon checking each website eliminated just about every one due to cost. Saving someone (me!!!) that effort is a really nice thing.

1 Like

[quote=“catholiver, post:40, topic:4650”]
I always have a budget so it helps me enormously.
[/quote]I notice you’re really good at that. It’s probably why you’re circling the globe right now :relaxed:.

1 Like

Off-topic but we met with a financial planner the other day (We’re 69 and 72) and he ran the numbers and said we’re not going to outlive our money. This didn’t happen by accident :slight_smile: We used to tell a little old lady who was blowing through money at a rapid pace "you can have anything you want but not everything you want. Could we afford $1k for dinner and wine at Noma? Yes. Would we? No. Outside our comfort zone. Back to your regular programming :slight_smile:

3 Likes