Insignia multicooker?

Thanks! That’s great to know. Also good to know that it’s Instant Pot and not InstaPot. I read the entirety of that InstantPot thread! It convinced me to take the plunge. I figure $40 is a low enough entry fee to start messing around with something everyone tells me is amazing. Risotto is going to be one of the first things I try.

2 Likes

I don’t know about amazing, but a pressure cooker that turns itself off is a lot more practical than the old-fashioned kind.

1 Like

It has made my weekday cooking a lot easier…that qualifies as amazing to me.

1 Like

Robert,

Agree. A pressure cooker that turns itself off (and that you can walk away from!) is a huge benefit/difference. That difference is what made me take the plunge.

You are going to have a lot of fun playing - go for it!

The one thing I would advise is, is that since there are so any instant pots and fewer of the Best Buy store brand pots - buy at least one extra set of the silicone sealing rings now. They do take on smells so you may want to be able to swap them out, while you can still get them.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-silicone-seal-for-insignia-pressure-cookers-2-pack/6254805.p?skuId=6254805

1 Like

After I clean and dry my rings, I throw them in a ziplock with baking soda. Helps with the aroma issues.

Thanks for the advice! I don’t see silicon rings for the 8 quart so I may be doing the baking soda trick often. THIS is why I ask this forum!

FWIW, America’s Test Kitchen did a review of multi-cookers that aired on the Splendid Table podcast. They recommend the Fagor Lux Multi Cooker. Among the reasons cited were better slow cooking capability and an alert that tells the user if it isn’t sealed properly. If you’re looking for something to replace your slow cooker, the Fagor Lux might be worth checking out. Link to the podcast below.

Splendid Table

2 Likes

Great minds listen to the same podcasts! I literally just finished that segment as I was getting to work. The Fagor (which is now a different brand because the company went under) is too rich for my blood. I’m not entirely sure I’m going to be an acolyte of the Church of the Instant Pot. I am more griller than braiser in my normal life. But, if it can make rice in 15 minutes versus 30 minutes on the quick setting on my zojirushi, I’ll use it at least twice a week.

3 Likes

Okay, that is brilliant! I will pass that on to my friend who bought an extra set of rings just because of the smell.:+1:

1 Like

The cooker just got delivered today. Right on time for a weekend of messing around. What should my inaugural dish be? Nothing too difficult. I am easily discouraged.

Get a chunk of quality pork shoulder / butt that will fit snugly. Put 1/2 teaspoon of salt per pound in pot with 1/4 cup of water, add pork, set pot for 90 minutes.

1 Like

@robert ‘s idea is great. I would spice it, too…along the lines of pulled pork and with a dash of liquid smoke, if you’re into smoke. Serve with your favorite BBQ sauce and some Hawaiian rolls as sliders or brioche for full on sandwiches.
Cheater Chicken Tikka Masala is great, too…pour some cheater/store-bought masala sauce in with some boneless, skinless thighs and set it to High Pressure for 15 minutes.
I also think risotto is a great idea. Set it and then forget it.
I’m a fan Natural Pressure Release. To quicken the natural pressure release, I grab some ice packs and set it on the lid. I only use quick release if I’m in a hurry…just be careful because the steam from an immediate quick release is no joke…my son quick released our chicken tikka masala from last week, and while the pot was less than half full, I was told it was a violent amount of steam with some of the masala sauce coming out because of the high pressure.

I cook the pork plain so that I can use it for multiple dishes with different seasonings.

Unless I’m making chile verde with fresh tomatillos.

@nashwill has a great pork shoulder recipe and the ingredients would be great in the IP also I’m sure.

Will Owen's oh-so-perfect pork shoulder recipe

Nice seasonings. I wouldn’t bother cutting slits or for that matter crushing the garlic or fennel. I’d just put them at the bottom of the pot and the pressure will push the flavor into the meat.

Searing will add Maillard-reaction flavors, but when using a pressure cooker I don’t bother. I’d just put everything but the pork in the pot, put the pork on top, and cook for 90 minutes.

1 Like

This recipe has traveled all over the US in our family. Thanks for the tips. Sounds just right.

My fling with the IP has not heated up to boundless love. At the
moment what I love most about it is that it was only $72 on sale and
shipping was fast and free. We were up the coast for my birthday a
few weeks ago and in an antiques place in Cayucos I found a very
nice alloy – didn’t look hard but it may have been Magnalite –
pressure cooker, big enough to put the IP inside of, and I think it
was $60. Tania would have given me serious **** if I’d bought it,
but I wish I had anyway. A good parallel was that I was driving her
almost-new Alfa instead of our old Forester this time, and while
it’s a marvel of swift, competent travel it keeps thinking it’s
smarter than I am, and when I drive it two-footed as I’ve always
driven automatics and happen to hit both pedals at once it dings at
me and displays AUTOMATIC-START FEATURE DISABLED, YOU MORON! (Okay,
made up the last part).

Thing is, I do not need my pots talking to me. I have a recipe, a

timer I can set, an oven that is good enough at relaying its status,
and thermometers. If a pressure cooker is properly made, it will let
me know how much it’s packing and let me keep track with frequent
monitoring and a working timer. Having a readout that gives me any
info other than these things is just being chatty; if you’re OFF,
dammit, just turn off the display!

W
2 Likes

LOL. I love you, Will Owen :slight_smile:

I got the Insignia multipot (Best Buy store brand) and just had the time to open it today after the giant box sat in my foyer for 2 weeks. Who says I don’t need a pressure cooker? Anyway, I knew almost immediately that I will be returning it. There is no option for high or low pressure. There is also no obvious way for a natural or quick release. I’ve been reading Melissa Clark’s Instant Pot book and those things seem to be the way to customize recipes. The instruction booklet is useless. The display panel just has a bunch of buttons for different foods: beans, rice, meat, eggs, etc. Seems like I will be on the look out for a sale on the Instant Pot. Frankly, I’m a little relieved. I’m too busy to learn to use another appliance! Ironic, I know.

1 Like