Instant Pot - Questions, Techiniques & Results

A tip when cooking rice.
We’ve cooked rice in the IP around 12-15 times. It comes out great when you just press the rice function. Don’t press anything else. Rice will be done in 15-20 minutes.

I cooked rice in the IP for the first time by myself the other day. I pressed rice but changed the pressure cooking setting to high. This results in a much stickier goopy type of rice. It wasn’t bad at all but very sticky. So if you’re looking for sticky rice try changing the pressure to high after pressing rice.

2 Likes

Thanks, @js76wisco! I’m trying that tonight or tomorrow. Will definitely heed your warning well.

Good luck.
My wife just made a batch of rice in the IP and forgot to add the blue silicon ring. Forgetting the silicon ring results in decent rice (a little firm and not as sticky). The bottom of the IP will end up with burnt rice. Not the good kind. Stuck to the bottom and cannot get it off without soaking for a few hours.

:scream: That’s no f@$?ing joke.

Thanks for the admonition. I imagine the next iteration of Instant Pot will feature a “socarrat / tahdig” button…

1 Like

That would be cool. I went to get a metal spoon to scrape off the nurungji but my wife yelled at me. Said I’d scratch up the bottom of the IP.

Next time this happens will just pour boiling water into the IP and pretend we’re at a soon tofu place. Use a wood spoon so I don’t get in trouble.

1 Like

I have had Abyssinian cats for years (yikes! Decades!). And every now and then, we get one that has an extra tender tummy.

For more severe cases, ground raw chicken (either ground whole wings or, ground boneless skinless thigh meat with a sprinkle of bonemeal) really helps their tummies settle and their digestions be good. And low fat dry food for extra vitamins and a snack.

Our current delicate Abby? Chicken breasts roasted or crockpotted, then taken off the bone, put through a food processor, and then thinned with broth or water as a “wet” food.

And the crockpot is a savior, as I can just throw three skin on breasts in, do what I need to do, then come back in three to four hours, take the meat off the bone, process them and? Wet food for weeks. One tub in the fridge for now, one in the freezer for later. Happy tummies all around.

1 Like

I roasted a chicken in the Instant Pot last week. I prepped it like any roast chicken: salted it, rubbed it with butter and lemon juice, lemons and thyme in the cavity. I placed it on the trivet with abut 1/2 cup of water on the bottom. I cooked it for 20 minutes (3 1/2 pound chicken at 6 minutes a pound, more or less).

I don’t have photos, but the top was nicely rendered and slightly crispy with golden streaks. I was surprised. I had expected a steamed chicken with rubbery skin.

2 Likes

Finally had a chance to try out the steamer function. Picked up some frozen dumplings from Cindy’s Kitchen in Hacienda Heights. Lined my silicone steamer inserts with some vented parchment paper, and plopped enough dumplings to fill a single layer in each insert tray. Since these were frozen and raw inside, I thought 10 minutes would be ensure that the filling would be thoroughly cooked through. With a natural release of at least 20 minutes, it was probably too long because the dumpling skins were a little too soft. Cooked it for the same time and did a quick release, and found that this was a bit better. I think 8-9 minutes with natural release is probably more ideal. Going to try it, again, tomorrow.
I also used Barkeeper’s Friend to clean the pot…it had gotten a bit cloudy…worked like a charm and is looking brand new, again.

Edit: 8 minute steam with natural release is ideal. Cooked some dumplings this morning for the husband after his night shift at the hospital. Needless to say, he was quite pleased.

1 Like

Not IP but I do frozen dumplings in the MW. On a piece of parchment to keep from sticking to the plate and covered with a damp paper towel. Three minutes for about a dozen of them. This will likely be today’s lunch for us.

1 Like

I ‘did’ a dozen for three minutes. Needed almost a minute more. Just an fyi.

1 Like

Threw a quick an easy dinner party for my family this weekend using the IP. Kalua pork cooked up fast. I salted and peppered a 4 lb. pork butt I found on sale. Browned it on all sides using the Sauté function for about 5 minutes per side on High. Removed the pork and threw in sliced onions, crushed garlic, and 1 bay leaf to help pick up the browned bits at the bottom. Put the pork back in with 1/2 cup of water and 2 tsp of liquid smoke. Put the lid on and set the Pressure Cook function on high for 2 hours. Quick release or natural pressure release is up to you.
This actually is functional for 2 dishes. Kalua pork or add BBQ sauce for pulled pork. I did both and let my guests decide if they wanted Kalua pork or pulled pork sliders with brioche buns. There was an assortment of BBQ sauces, mustards, pickles and slaw on the side.
It was probably the easiest dinner party I’ve ever put together while only spending about 30 minutes in the kitchen actually prepping and standing over the pot to sear and sauté. There was also sous vide haricots verts and corn. Clean up was a snap. Best kind of dinner party without using catering services.

4 Likes

Kalua pork is rad in the IP. If possible, I do recommend the banana leaf wrap. It adds a really great flavor to the pork!

2 Likes

Thanks, @frommtron! I’ll certainly try that next time.

I’m surprised this warning hasn’t been mentioned here.

Because there is only one model affected: The Gem 65 8-in-1 Multicooker.

2 Likes

I also believe that most folks on this board don’t own this defective model, so it’s of insignificant consequence to bring it up.

1 Like

It’s not even all units of that model.

4 Likes

So it was an early model or something? I don’t really care since I don’t and likely won’t own one but this group does tend to discuss a lot ::slight_smile: