Interesting LA Weekly Article On White Chefs Cooking Ethnic Foods

Genuine Kobe beef is at the very least $25/oz. Very, very few places serve actual Kobe beef in the US.

It’s a shame that so many companies and restaurants can get away with abusing the term “Kobe beef,” when ~99% of them aren’t serving the real thing. It is quite unlikely that anyone who serves real Kobe beef would make a hot dog or burger out of it. Not only because of the sheer economics of that, but also because Kobe beef generally isn’t the best candidate for grilling. Any restaurant that can serve actual Kobe would know that. I say generally because while other types of beef like Matsuzaka gyu would be better for grilling, it’s not just about what kind of beef, but what cut of beef.

The last time I saw real Kobe on a menu in the USA, there was a premium over even Matsuzaka and Omi gyu, so go figure.

Real wagyu is really unnecessary for a hot dog or hamburger. If you want a real luxurious burger, look that from the late Ninebark in Napa, which used a mix of aged American short rib, brisket, marrow, and tendon.

Anyway, there should be protection over the name “Kobe beef” like how Champagne and the methode champenoise are protected.

3 Likes

Many places use the term “kobe style” to get away with it because many don’t know the term wagyu.

There are a couple of places in the Wynn in Vegas that serve true Kobe beef. None have a hot dog.

True, but there are some who don’t qualify it as “Kobe style.” Eg “Kobe sliders.”

Even with wagyu - which of course means “Japanese beef” - some places don’t qualify their “wagyu” as being from America or Australia until they’re asked.

American wagyu itself can be good, but I think restaurants know that not everyone is cognizant of the distinction and some will be misled to think they’re eating the real thing. Like saying, “champagne” when it’s in fact cava. Again, cava or American wagyu are fine in their own right, I just don’t like the enterprising attitude of some restaurants.

1 Like

Hear, hear…

Excellent

[quote=“BradFord, post:83, topic:4931”]
The last time I saw real Kobe on a menu in the USA, there was a premium over even Matsuzaka and Omi gyu, so go figure.
[/quote]Interesting. Let me see if I understand. Kobe is a strain of Wagyu only found in a certain district, much like real champagne is only from the Champagne region of France? So a place like CUT which serves Japanese Wagyu from Miyazaki Prefecture - while good - cannot be considered Kobe?

That is correct. Not legally speaking, but in terms of what you are actually eating, yes. CUT is the kind of place that might be able to actually serve real Kobe, though. Places that actually serve the real stuff usually show you the certificate to go with it.

Thanks!

You can actually see all the legit kobe exports here

http://www.kobe-niku.jp/en/contents/certification/index.html

As you can see, nothing has been exported out to the states in 2017. Hell, the last legit shipment of Kobe to the states happened middle of November!

1 Like

Correct. Kobe beef is from a specific region. Omi beef, Miyazaki beef, Kagoshima beef, Hokkaido beef, Matsuzaka beef, Sendai beef, Saga beef, etc. are all different. Though the nuances between some aren’t always super apparent, sometimes you can tell. E.g. Hokkaido beef is less marbled, even for the same A5+ rating, and I think Kumamoto beef is even leaner tasting. Omi beef and Matsuzaka beef are my favorite. Omi being the best balance between beefiness and taste of fat for my preferences, and Matsuzaka is best for grilling if you want a real luxurious taste. I haven’t had Kobe grilled, only shabu shabu. The best depends on how you’ll cook it, but by and large (and again, it depends on the cut, not merely the provenance of beef) - the highest regarded are Kobe, Omi, and Matsuzaka.

Now, according to an article from Honolulu dated September 2015, only 3 restaurants in the US were authorized to serve genuine Kobe beef: Teppanyaki Ginza Sumikawa (aka Teppanyaki Ginza Onodera) in Honolulu, SW at the Wynn in Las Vegas, and 212 Steakhouse in New York.

As of July 2016, apparently there’s only 9 official places in the US serving real Kobe beef (8 restaurants - Alexander’s counts twice because they have two locations serving it):

However, there are quite a few, perhaps several dozen restaurants that serve real wagyu that’s not Kobe, but usually from Miyazaki or Kagoshima. In California alone, I’ve probably had it at over a dozen places, to varying success. Californios did a great “swagyu” barbacoa with pineapple juice, and recently a delicious Kumamoto wagyu carne asada with leek oil. Aubergine in Carmel has a signature wagyu dish that’s washed in sake, soy, etc. and wrapped with nori (usually we’ve had it from Miyazaki). Yakiniku Yazawa had an incredible Miyazaki “Yazawa Yaki” that was one of my favorite bites this year. I’ve also had several Miyazaki or Kagoshima wagyu dishes that weren’t much to write home about, but probably due more to how they were prepared.

One place did serve me the scraps, as a side so as not to waste anything, though. Flambeed in Macallan 18, but more for the theatricality of it because it kind of overcooked the beef. I prefer the scraps in a fried rice with egg. Never liquified for a hot dog, and I really think nobody in his or her right mind would ever do that.

There’s also “washugyu” - wagyu-style beef that’s not actually from Japan, but from like Idaho or Australia. And there’s also “F1” (very popular in Japan), which is mix of wagyu and other breeds like angus or holstein.

3 Likes

Pretty amazing Mr. BradFord. In order for me to learn that much about beef I would have to forget everything else I ever learned, including my name. Thanks!

Uh oh… Now you’ve done it. Picnic basket is open…

I don’t know what Freud would say, but think I know what you’re getting at. Something about female rivalry? You’re probably right, you usually are. But I clicked on for some fun in my favorite thread and ended up receiving a veiled accusation of bigotry; then Bookwich added insult to injury about a nomination that was tongue-in-cheek anyway!

I am a little surprised at how much all this bothered and frankly disappointed me. But I didn’t want to make June DoTM any weirder than it already is. This thread seems like the appropriate place to share.

I have nominated or voted for Thai, S.Asia, Korean, dumplings twice. Last month I wanted S.East Asian (no takers). But I’m not sure why it’s okay to eat these foods in America and still designate their country of origin, but it’s not ok to call any food American (i.e. “hot dogs and apple pie”).

Not many or any dishes have a clearly defined origin anyway. It’s all Gumbo.

It’s interesting.

On this board we have waded into the waters of LGBTQ and what is and is not appropriate to say (write). There was offense taken and apologies made.

On another thread, Catholiver, who travels and interacts with more cultures than any of us (and not at resorts and 5-star hotels) was attacked for her “white privilege”.

I’ve seen jokes and clips on this board that would make some of my black friends and family pissed. I was not offended. Funny is funny!

But it was a new feeling to have to defend myself against a veiled accusation of bigotry.

African-American food and culture has been bastardized and appropriated to the point where most don’t even know where it originated. To top it off, if it’s mentioned it is rebutted with the “race card” accusation.

I may not be easily recognized as black. Because of this, people have said the craziest things to me, assuming they’re talking to one of their own. I have learned to grow thick skin. But it is how I identify. So indulge me this and then I’ll move on (because I’m stuck); I pick Chef Zone and his Hot Chicken to put in my appropriation outrage column.

In case folks didn’t recognize it, that was tongue-in-cheek too.

Happy Eating!

4 Likes

The approaches by you two made me think of Freud’s ideas on the anal stage. Someone is anal retentive. Another is anal expulsive. Guess who Freud would tap on each? :blush:

1 Like

I don’t know what expulsive means, but it’s probably me.

Btw… Bookwich is my girl. I’m just sayin’.

No doubt that she is your gal. And I am not going to say who is which one. But at least in this thread, you two are like The Odd Couple, psychoanalytically speaking. :point_left::point_right:

Can two female food talkers share a thread without driving each other mad?

Driving each other mad is a sign you’re buds!

Nothing better than arguing about food . Love it .:cookie:

1 Like

True… It’s like a big sister, little sister thing :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know, it’s crazy

1 Like