Interesting Shopping Areas with Good Food?

@Sgee thanks for the great suggestions. Yah of course I thought of Beverly Hills, but the last time I went shopping on Rodeo Drive, I kept thinking “This is like… 12 meals at Providence for this [item]!” “This is like 3 visits to Urasawa…” LOL. :stuck_out_tongue: But I haven’t seen that Japanese Chef’s Knife shop (looks like fun), and some of the other suggestions you had. Thanks!

Must resist… handbags… :disappointed_relieved: :grinning:

Here’s another Japanese knife place on Wilshire, closer to La Cienega - Japanese Knife Imports. Kitchen jewelry!

Happy Shopping @Chowseeker1999

2 Likes

No watch shopping at Hing Wah Lee?

Side note (1): I was just here this past weekend and the parking was horrible. There was also construction near the Del Mar entrance so traffic was fucked going South.

Side note (2): plenty of frozen armadillo and raccoon in stock at Hawaii supermarket.

1 Like

My bankruptcy court order forbids me from entering Hing Wah Lee.

Beverly Hills?

Other than Urasawa it seems to be like there are not many great restaurants there. I guess down on Beverly Maude is there, but you can’t just walk in really, the only other place I enjoy is Chaumont. I guess Wally’s, too, but my experience haven’t measured up to others there outside of the wine.

Well, there’s also Spago and CUT, and how quickly we forget the just-reviewed Yazawa by @J_L.

And let’s not overlook the obvious elephant in the room. THE STINKING ROSE!

3 Likes

Yeah, I guess so. I guess it’s just hard to remember some of the BH options as they never quite fit into that “I’m lazily shopping, and maybe I’ll stop in for a quick bite here and there while shopping” category. Spago does have the bar though, idk why I always forget about it.

Tempura Endo also just opened there as well.

Bouchon

And Wally’s.

and The Beverly Hills Cheese Shop.:grin:

Also Sushi Sushi

1 Like

if you like lunasia (i don’t) you can now try the organic chinese supermarket next door.

Larchmont maybe? I don’t know… shopping is an dumb activity

Does anyone know if the Queen Mary in Long Beach is an interesting visit? Any good shopping to be done there or near there?

And more importantly, any great restaurants in the area? Or is it better to head off to the South Bay / Torrance? (the website says they actually have restaurants aboard the Queen Mary, but I have great hesitation about that (tourist trap?).)

Unless he’s bailed again, Sergio Penuelas is supposed to be killing it in Long Beach. Checko El Rey del Serandeado is what I got when I googled his name and “Long Beach.”

The newly opened Playa Amor sounds interesting and the same chef as Amor y Tacos. No clue about shopping in that area.

Thanks @bulavinaka @A5KOBE. Bookmarked. Good to know. :slight_smile:

Playa Amor is indeed very good.

Restauration is very good. Worth a trip just to visit even without worrying about the Queen Mary.

In fact, the entire area of Bluff Heights where Restauration is on 4th St., is sort of a nice area to meander around a bit. The area is just east of the Queen Mary.

Word to the wise, if you go during the 4th, Bluff Heights hosts their own block party and you get to take in the fireworks show at the harbor. Win win.

2 Likes

if you like that sort of thing, the QM can be fun. but they make you buy a $15 voucher - and if you buy a $3 drink at the observation bar - they don’t give you any change.

the restaurants on board are ok. in one of the bars they have a pianist playing jazz standards which can be fun, but it’s more fun when you can dress the part, i have ties to the art deco soceity here in LA, and they hold an annual event on the QM II which includes a free event which allows you to waive their bogus $15 voucher, and afterwards you get to wander the ship dressed up like you actually belong there over the course of an evening. here’s a pic from a recent event.

i think i tried siem reap in LB that day.it was good, but lunch for 2 ran $44. no matter, IIRC the place closed.

there’s got to be a few other decent cambodian places with 10 minutes of the QM.

2 Likes