Ippudo opening update?

I’ve heard/seen nothing since the original news came out regarding the opening last November, and I don’t make it into Santa Monica on any regular basis to check the property for signs regarding an opening. Just wondering if someone knows of anything.

There seems to be no progress on the interior the few times I’ve walked by it (incl a few nights ago, but I couldn’t really see inside).

My bro-in-law is in town from Singapore - which has an Ippudo. He had heard a while back that our town was getting one - soon - and asked how it was.

I actually completely forgot about Ippudo opening shop here - it had fallen off my radar.

“I don’t know - the restaurant’s ability to open is almost all based on the local government’s agencies involved in approving different aspects of the building process.”

He was shocked that the process would take so long and how local govt is more of an impediment in the process.

1 Like

Outlet in NYC surprisingly good, even post kitchen swithceroo

Appreciate the update. This is taking quite awhile. Ippudo was one of my mainstays in the Japanese city I lived in, and (unlike Men Oh) I’m hoping for a reasonable facsimile of it.

1 Like

Walked by again yesterday. Application for liquor license on the window, dated 10/02. Interior has drywall, but it doens’t look like “finished” drywall (but, again, this was at night).

From Ippudo US:

There’s only 9 days until our new Santa Monica location opens! We’re so excited to continue to expand and spread the ramen love! Join us for our Soft Opening Tomorrow (Nov 8) at 5pm and our Grand Opening next Friday, November 16th!! (1403 2nd Street Santa Monica, CA 90401)

For those who go, please take pictures and post their sake and alcoholic beverage menu, I’m really curious if they are using the same source (like MTC) and stocking the same items as San Francisco.

2 Likes

What are they known for?
#toolazytogoogle

Tonkotsu mastery.

I happened to drive by last night (Wed, 11/7) and saw the doors open and a small crowd milling around, so I assumed it was open. Maybe that was a private party. Good to know.

Fukuoka style tonkotsu ramen, that became a power house chain with lots of overseas locations. The San Francisco one is more fancy, upscale and sports a full bar (bottled and draft beer, hi balls, whiskey, wine, sake), appetizers like pork buns (signature and a must order). Night time the SF location has izakaya style menu. I’m told Santa Monica might not have the full bar. Since this is soft opening the offerings will likely be limited as they ramp up and test, but for sure you’ll be able to try the baseline tonkotsu (shiromaru), aka maru (similar but has a scoop of paste that has more umami and spice), and something that is more spicy and potent. For me the baseline shiromaru is sufficient, but I would imagine the typical crowds would prefer something less subtle (much like ordering spicy miso broth for shabu shabu). The SF location now has bonito shiromaru which is katsuobushi/bonito flakes enhanced shiromaru (very robust umami but thirst factor increases and more so with alcohol), and a shoyu broth where the stock noodles clash with it.

You can specify the firmness of your noodles, and they recommend firm or extra firm. Let it sit too long in the broth and it becomes soft. If you have leftover broth you can add additional noodles, but that’s very typical of many competent ramen places these days.

Only posting the notice of the soft opening since I’m sure there is interest on this board. And people generally love lines all over the world…

3 Likes

I was looking at the menu, and there’s no mention of choosing your own firmness level. This kinda goes against the whole Fukuoka/Nagahama scene (and Ippudo ramen-yas in Japan) where the option is pretty standard. That would disappoint me if I’m not allowed to choose.

The server will ask you for your preference on firmness.

Hallelujah!