Is this the most undrinkable drink in the world?

“…now it is just a matter of time before everyone else acquires the taste.”

Will never happen. I will say that I sampled a Mexican Fernet brand a few years back (a bar poured us a splash) and it wasn’t half bad. I don’t like the Branca for sure, and the Argentine version (Industria Argentina) is even worse.

“the Argentine version (Industria Argentina) is even worse”

True, but it sells like crazy.

Tradition.

Never say never? IPAs and Jaegermeister hold flavor profiles that weren’t within the realm of the American palate not too long ago.

People enjoy IPAs.

Some.people enjoy IPAs.

OK - I’ll shut up. But I do get it…

I’m just having a laugh. I always enjoy and learn a lot from your posts. :slightly_smiling_face:

You did step on a perfectly good Jagermeister joke tho.

Too late - I’m hurt. Wait - what Jager joke?

This is sort of a Jäger joke.

I tried this new-to-me amaro last night and it turned out to be right on the border between medicinal and tasty. Definite fernet-ish flavor, which makes me think the defining element of fernet might be rhubarb.

1 Like

Just ordered.
Thanks !

I didn’t mean to recommend it. Sfumato Rabarbaro goes a little too far in the fernet direction for my taste so I wouldn’t order it again. Might be most similar to S. Maria al Monte. Personally I’m more a fan of Averna, Cardamaro, and Nardini.

I just saw that one amongst a handful of amari at Wine House in SM that I hadn’t ever seen. I scooped that one up, too.

I think it’s powerful, dense, and delicious. And you’ve got an excellent palate! That one is rhubarb based, though I don’t think it’s the same rhubarb we think of when we think or pie etc.

They say it’s Chinese rhubarb.

Interesting.
Also wanted to mention that anytime you see “rabarbaro” then you know rhubarb is the dominant herbal ingredient.

True, just as “china” means quinine.

I think in this context “sfumato” is meant to suggest that the rhubarb isn’t too strong and blends smoothly with the other flavors.

This thread reminds me of the time I overate at a buffet at a downtown L.A, hotel, and tried to walk off that uncomfortable feeling. It didn’t work, so I stopped in at a nearby liquor store and asked for Underberg (a German digestif). The guy gave me a knowing look, reached under the counter, and came up with a bottle of Thunderbird. Not exactly what I had in mind.

1 Like