ISO advice for cooking pork belly

@ipsedixit, I’ve screwed up. Things got a little crazy and I totally forgot to cook the PB. So too late for tonight. Should I leave it in the marinade or remove it? Just leave it in the fridge? Wrap in plastic? Man, what a mess I am. Getting old sometimes sucks. Thanks for any advice. Cath

Depends on how acidic your marinade is. A high acid content, and leaving it overnight, would run the risk of leaving you with pork belly cum ceviche.

But if its just primarily salt, sugar, spices, you should be fine.

It’s Shaoxing, soy sauce, sugar and 5 spice :frowning:

should be fine to leave it I would think

Thanks. I wound up removing it and then wrapping in plastic wrap.

I saved the marinade and will put it in for a short while pre-cooking just to get it ‘wet.’

YOU ARE AMAZING!!! I did it just the way you wrote. One hour and then maybe five minutes on broil. Crappy pix but insanely wonderful meat. This is THE way. Hopefully we don’t nibble it away before dinner. Thanks a million.

1 Like

Okay, here’s the burger. Honestly, the weak link was the brioche. We generally use toasted/grilled English muffins. But this was great. And since our usual burger is 4oz and this was 8, I at least have some left over. This is what I love about this site. Thanks everybody.

Looks great. A little late to the party, but I just started making this pork belly recipe from seriouseats.com. It’s a riff off of David Chang’s recipe but uses a sous vide. The porky mayonnaise is amaaaaazing. I also don’t make the baos, but buy them for $1.99 for a dozen at 99 ranch. Call me Sandra Lee…

Pork Belly Buns

2 Likes

Thank you SO much. I haven’t used my SV is way too long. And I like the idea of being able to hold it in the fridge.

Here’s my/our latest example.

Crazy, ridiculously good! Thanks as always, @ipsedixit.

ETA. One more photo. Kobe beef. Vidalia onion. Cheddar cheese. Rosemary buns.

2 Likes

Fixed these again tonight to flesh out some leftover chow mein noodles and a single dumpling from dim sum this AM. So good. We have a few ‘squares’ left. Any idea of what can be done with leftovers? We’re just hooked on them. Thanks again @ipsedixit.

maybe porkbelly taco’s with black beans?

1 Like

I have to confess. We were in a motel last night heading back from Seattle. I MWd for maybe ten seconds and put them on ‘ridged’ potato chips. They were great :slight_smile:

Paging @hppzz. I see you holding out on us.

5 Likes

OMG, that looks incredible. I’d love some guidance to get that skin.

as I recently learned shouldn’t that be #porkybelly :wink:

3 Likes

Haha no secret really. We’ve tried all the methods for crispying up the skin—salt, vinegar, baking soda …etc but what we find works best is:

1. Choose a nice even thickness piece of pork belly
  2. Boil only the skin side down for about 5 min in flat sheet pan with shallow amount of water to soften the skin and poke a million holes through the skin into the subcutaneous fat.
  3. Dry skin at least overnight or longer
  4. Stick a skewer or two to keep the piece flat and even while cooking
  5. Roast with water bath on top of baking rack to keep moist, when internal temp is around 140-145 turn on low broil to crisp the skin.

edit: just read @ipsedixit post above, and I’ll say ours is pretty similar with slightly diff treatment to skin. having tried the baking soda and non baking soda (above) it doesn’t seem to make a difference for us. I think where it would help is if you don’t have time to let it dry.

4 Likes