ISO unagi hitsumabushi

Not the whole serving (I think I’ve only had it at Phoenix). :wink: But, yes, the intensity is correct. :slight_smile:

Edit: the ice cream had partially melted by the time I got home. Re-froze it and, curiously, I think it JUST has a enough sesame flavor. :slight_smile: Would’ve thought it would’ve been stronger in liquid form, but apparently not…

While the eel was slightly over, it was nice to try something new and different. My order was not overtly sauced, so I don’t feel like they were trying to cover anything up. I shared it with a friend who has spent a lot of time in Japan and we had a great afternoon together.

There are regional ramen fairs in L.A.? Please, tell me more…

Sorry I was unclear, @Bookwich. Mitsuwa has ramen fairs that usually feature three famous vendors. They also have fairs that focus on a single prefecture that is famed for their artisanal food (i.e. Hokkaido seafood and dairy products).

1 Like

Gotcha. Guess I’ll have to head out to Torrance once in a while.

1 Like

If you sign up for their mailing list at http://www.mitsuwa.com, they’ll keep you informed about their upcoming events and specials.

1 Like

Interesting point. Back East, I’ve noticed real unagi at Yasuda in NYC (a VERY small bite during the omakase, and this is only occasional compared to the two preps of anago), and at NAOE, as the finale, in Miami. At NAOE they grill it for a while and you get a large portion of what I take to be the real deal. It’s incredible in a savory, umami way although some of the crowd, I can tell, is slightly confused why such a big deal is made out fresh water eel relative to rarities such as sea cucumber being on the same menu.

On a related note, and I may have missed it above, but this gives me the shudders regarding the cheap-o unagi that one would find slathered in sauce at one’s local grocery store. What exactly is that stuff?