It's Five O'Clock Somewhere - What Are You Drinking?

Share your your drink of the day here. Cocktails, spirits, beer and wine are all welcome.

I’ll start. My brother got this sake somewhere and I have been enjoying it very much. It’s mild and smooth, with a delicate flavor.

I opened this the other day. Made me realize I needed to buy some moderately-priced whites.

1 Like

Funny you should mention the whites. I love but avoid them. Reason? I was under the impression they were just pure sugar (belly fat). But I had a great conversation last night with my nieces intended. His university offered wine courses. He took them and has been hooked ever since. He says that’s bullshit. They all (reds, white) pretty much come from the same grapes. It has to do with early harvest, late harvest, leaving the dark skins on or not. Anyway, I’m adding whites back into the rotation.

Oh yeah. @Bookwich’s question was, what am I drinking today? It looks like we have Knob Creek and Sierra Nevada. Neither are my favorite.

The amount of residual sugar in a wine has little relation to which grape variety it’s made from.

Red wines are made from dark-skinned varieties such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Zinfandel, Refosco, and Saperavi, and are traditionally fermented with their skins.

Whites are made from light-skinned varieties such as Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, Godello, and Rkatsiteli, and in most places except Georgia are traditionally juiced before being fermented (i.e., without their skins).

Rosé wines are made from dark-skinned varieties fermented like white wines.

Orange wines are made from light-skinned varieties fermented like red wines.

1 Like

He probably said a lot of this. But I was already tipsy. I knew you’d give me some more knowledge. Bookmarking!

Two G&T’s – one made with No. 209 Gin; the other with Spirit Works Navy Strength Gin . . .

Last Monday night, with rib-eyes, baked potatoes, roasted vegetables, and salad:

1993 L’Ecole No. 41 “Apogee,” Pepper Bridge Vineyard (Walla Walla Valley AVA, Washington State) – 70 percent Merlot; 30 percent Cabernet Sauvignon.

2 Likes

Last Saturday in New York, for a friend’s 50th Birthday:

1966 CVNE Via Real Reservation Especial, (Rioja, Spain)

3 Likes

ERRATA:
Where it reads “Via Real Reservation Especial”,
it should read “Viña Real Reserva Especial”

True. I hate auto-correct . . . Thanks for that catch!

Which one won?

And any specific tonic?

Fever Tree. No. 209.