It's too hot! All I feel like eating is _____

frozen grapes & frozen banana whipped with peanut butter until it reaches a soft serve consistency

Oh hot damn - this is my jam…

it’s my understanding the spicy foods make you sweat,
therefore activating the body’s natural cooling system.

Can one even go to Zo for just the yuzu juice in the minuscule fucking shot glass ???

For fucks sake that juice is even better then his nigiri-zushi.

And that ain’t no fucking joke.

just to be clear, just the banana & peanut butter. i eat the frozen grapes separately.

plus i have a separate medical grade freezer so my bananas are a bit colder - using a regular freezer, you may need to refreeze after the blending (which i usually do using a handheld immersion blender)

banchan
mul naengmyon
aguachile
hawaiian papaya w/ lime
lahpet thoke
namadako sashimi w/ yuzukosho
“tamago tofu” w/ cold dashi gelee, crab, and peas
tsukemono w/ horseradish ice

lots of jasmine ice tea
loads of crisp vermentino
even more Billecart-Salmon rosé

none of this together

2 Likes

my understanding is that the alkaloid capsaicin directly interacts/interferes with the body’s ability to regulate temperature in terms of heat production (thermogenesis) (some folks are looking into how capsaicin works to try and treat hypothermia by stimulating the same process that hibernating animals use to generate heat) AND heat loss - it stimulates both processes which apparently work independently in the body. it also does a lot of other things which may or may not contribute to why a person enjoys the process, like how it binds to certain receptors to make the body think that it’s experiencing a burn, etc.which gives it analgesic properties. it apparently also stimulates the release of certain endorphins.

seems to me that there’s a fairly high correlation of the use of peppers and the climate so there’s some sort of general physiological appeal. i also recall reading about what happened when jalapenos were first introduced to eskimos - apparently they couldn’t get enough of them but a consequence was that there was a sudden uptick in treatment for exposure because they’d disrobe outside oblivious to the cold.

2 Likes

Of course, the other commonly offered explanation for the correlation of high temperature climate and use of maximum spice levels - and the explanation I believe to be more accurate - is that, prior to refrigeration, the spice was used to hide the less than pristine quality of the ingredients.
#PhuckPhysiology

1 Like

I like spicy food on a hot day but there’s no way your mosquito theory is right. Well, maybe it could have some general applicability but certainly not for me. I eat obnoxiously spicy foods regularly and get absolutely thrashed by them.

OP, this summer I’ve been eating a lot of sandwiches. My current go-to is a build your own at Mendocino Farms with whatever veggies and cheeses I feel like, to which I then add my home-canned fish from the amazing fishing this summer. I do feel very odd picking up my undeniably… let’s say “feminine sounding” sandwiches, and for some reason the person ringing me up always feels the need to loudly read off the ingredients I chose for everyone to hear :sweat_smile:

1 Like

… for the dead bodies???

Sorry, I couldn’t resist. :wink:

3 Likes

I forgot to mention. A corollary of this theory of mine (and again I stress this is my hypothesis only) is that if the person is diabetic, then it won’t matter if pure capsaicin flows in their veins - The mosquitoes will go straight to the sweet stuff over anything else. I have a diabetic Thai-American friend who gets murdered by mosquito bites in Thailand each time he visits BKK, even after eating 10+ Thai-level spicy in Thailand. Check your blood sugar?

1 Like

Thank god it’s finally cooled down. Last Saturday, I picked up a gorgonzola and walnut pizza from Claro’s. My husband wisely urged me to store it in the freezer. I only managed to eat half of my vegetarian sandwich from Claro’s that day, but was able to down two iced coffees and two iced jasmine teas. It really was way too damn hot to manage anything else.

After a craptacular day at work, that pizza was truly heaven. The gorgonzola was gloriously pungent!

Just my opinion but any great bleu is worth any price one has to pay for its enjoyment.

3 Likes

Maybe, but the only way I could’ve consumed gorgonzola last week was to blend it in my iced coffee. I’m a pretty adventurous eater, but not that intrepid. Here’s to cooler weather and pungent cheese!

frozen grapes

And the theory takes another blow!

Don’t hold your breath; it’s supposed to heat up by Wed again. :frowning:

I’ve got some TJ’s frozen lime pops in the freezer. We’ll see how it compares to the tropical flavor (which I didn’t enjoy that much).

Like thechez5, I’ve been thinking about Mexican shrimp cocktail, you know, the one with ketchup, touch of orange juice, avocado, onion, etc. Speaking of which, who has a good recommendation of where to get one?

One of the myriad Chentee potentially or that joint with the ceviche toastada at mercado la Paloma.