Izakaya Rintaro

Thinking of going back here for dinner. My first visit was after a bang-bang so i couldn’t try much of the menu. are there any must-order dishes? @beefnoguy what are your favorites?

Yeah Rintaro is pretty solid for the city! They rotate their menu, so what you see on the website may change by the time you visit.

Your focus should be the skewers (anything that suits your fancy). If you need an app to tide you over, sashimi (local fish) or a vegetable/salad/nuta would work. Get one of the fried dishes (teba no karaage is excellent). If you have a large enough party, try either the millefeuille miso katsu, or the chiizu tori katsu in addition. Gyoza is decent too for filler. Finish it off with any udon dish (since they make their own udon in house), and the udon “carbonara” kama tama can be good. Otherwise the satsumaage udon is great too. During colder times of the year, they may have a very small selection of oden.

Their sake pours are some of the most pitiful I’ve seen though. Stick with beer, buy sake by the bottle, or pay corkage and bring your own.

You can also try them for lunch, at least the fried stuff and gyoza can be had then as well.

3 Likes

I could swear I posted about that place. Gone from Chowhound if I did. Liked it but not enough that I went back.

In which I said I could swear I’d posted about it.

Terrible scene. I’ve never been but I remember hearing the name of the restaurant on FTC.

Yikes.

It’s great. Their tofu is terrific.

Recommended: Yakitori tsukune (chicken meatball), yakitori negima; gindara no sunomono; kurobuta tonkatsu; yosedofu; hanetsuki gyoza; kake udon; off menu bonjin.

The hiyashi udon bento is good; I had their Peko-peko bento at a previous job.

Water2Table supplies their fish.

oh that’s what “terrible scene” meant…

Reportedly it was the second-rainiest day in SF in the 170 years they’ve been keeping recirds.

3 Likes

https://gofund.me/e698c96f

Love Rintaro and so bummed to see this. A go Fund me was started and doing well!

4 Likes

welcome

1 Like

Thanks, a friend told me today I should check ftc out since all I talk about is food and dining out.

3 Likes

Also to clarify bummed to see the damage the rain did and their closure, but incredibly happy to see the success of the gofundme.

Unfortunately, the insurance company may not cover the damages, citing the flood as an “act of god” rather than the result of the known issue with the sewer and storm drain system in San Francisco.

Their claim is guaranteed to be denied under their business owners policy or property insurance since this is a flood rather than water damage claim. Flood is a separate line of insurance altogether and not many business in CA buy them.

This happened to them before. Maybe they got the extra separate insurance?

Owner of Rintaro is coming out with his own book in October. I preordered on Amazon.

1 Like