J Gold 101 2017

As another example, I think the tea leaf salad at Lukshon is very inferior to the tea leaf salad at the two Daw Yee Myanmar restaurants and Yoma.

Maru-san is wonderful, and his omakase is 2nd to none. Back a few years ago when they had Yoshi and Take working with him, all 3 of them were great. These days, he is training 2 new guys, but they are nowhere near the level. Every time we are at Mori I too worry that he might close his doors one day because there is just not that much traffic there.

1 Like

Lukshon is a fine restaurant, but now way it is top 20 in LA, forget #4. The level of food execution, ambiance, and service is just not there.

3 Likes

I canā€™t think of a single item there thatā€™s as good as the real deal. Dan dan noodles? Not near what youā€™d get at, say, Chengdu Taste.

Tea leaf salad, butterfish, lobster roll, beef and broccoli, black rice with lap cheong, crispy rice cakes, cold sesame noodles; prefer Yoonā€™s version of all of those to any other versions Iā€™ve had in LA, except maybe the lobster roll, but itā€™s still one of the most fascinating takes on the dish.

I find the use of high-quality ingredients adds something pretty magical to the dishes, as well as a precise cooking technique. Everyone Iā€™ve ever taken there thoroughly enjoys it.

But it is possible I simply havenā€™t had the best versions of the "Real deal"s I guess.

1 Like

Buna update: been 3 times since finding it here. Going back tonight. Favorite spot lately. The owner really cares about the food and the place. Food is brighter and lighter than at other places weā€™ve tried and the place is waaaay cleaner than the likes of Awash for example. Not that that has ever stopped us but itā€™s still nice.

I get mad at myself every time I go there.

1 Like

Same. When I tried the curry noodles I was legit mad.

1 Like

What do you like at Buna? Iā€™ve tried the veggie combo and the chicken and thought both were fine but nothing special. The veggies, in particular, were less varied and flavorful than either Awash or Meals by Genet (e.g., no horseradish lentils). Aside from the whole fish, which just isnā€™t my jam, I donā€™t get the appeal.

how am i supposed to talk to you?

2 Likes

Hey youā€™re the guy picking these places by how clean they are. :stuck_out_tongue:

hahahaā€¦ not at allā€¦ dingy ass sticky table awash is still the favoriteā€¦ we were there during an electric fire and blackout and kitchen smoke backed into the dining roomā€¦ no fucksā€¦ kept picking at the whole fish. but yea itā€™s nice how clean buna is.