January 2018 Weekend Rundown

I still haven’t popped in here (even though it is pretty close). How were the non-kimchi dumplings (and steamed vs fried)? I have nothing against kimchi dumplings, but curious as to the other items. Thx!

Verdict?

They were all fine, as far as taste and texture. The pan fried could have been just a little more crispy for me personally.

I forgot to mentioned I really liked the steamed shrimp dumplings.

It’s a fine place ran by a really sweet couple.

1 Like

Did they present it as such/give you any backstory?

1 Like

sounds like I should make the effort to get there for lunch (I remember Barry C checking it out when they first opened)!

1 Like

Out of LA this weekend–but did have a great meal in New York I wrote up here: Dizengoff--Amazing Pita and Hummus

Galbi Jim and banchan. Everything was great!!!

6th Street Zion Market. Got the red bean filling.

PSA Next month they will have HOTTEOK!!!

Is there any other place to get Hotteok in KTown now? I think there used to be 2 carts, one by the market by Pollo Ala Brasa and a few years ago the market by Western x Bev.

4 Likes

Cafe Bravo in Glendale. Order at the counter. Pretty good…everything very fresh, lots of it, and while imo, the boost from the extra lemon and dressing was needed, it was tasty. Bravo salad gives a choice of any 4 sides. We ended up with hummus, tabbouleh, ikra (“poor mans caviar”, eggplant/tomatoes- right front on the plate in the photo), shirazi, yogurt/cucumber salad, grape leaves, and a medium side of pickled turnips (mucho mucho turnips, unlike the measly four pieces you get at any Zankou). We surveyed plates of our neighbors…the kabobs looked nicely prepared, and again, they aren’t selfish with the portions. The waitstaff also brought us extra pita at no charge. They have an array of hot sauces, condiments to pep things up. Not a destination spot, but if you’re in that neighborhood.

2 Likes

a trip to the Original Farmers Market…

10 Likes

Thursday, 11:59PM: The start of the weekend!

This counts as a serving of fruit, right?

8 Likes

Sorry. Only a half serving of fruit. You’ll just need another slice, I guess.

5 Likes

Jook Hyang

Got the soup with abalone and Cornish hen stuffed with rice, red date, garlic, and ginseng.

The stuffing is the best part! Had some spicy food the day before so I needed something a little bland. Slight subtle hint of ginseng/red date. Quite enjoyable to chow down on.

The banchan is very solid here. My favorite part of the abalone is the guts.

Chunju Han Il Kwan.

First time at this KTown classic.

Had to try the Military Stew, which is kimchi jigae with Spam, hot dogs, packaged ramen, you know stuff left over from the war.

First off all the packaged stuff I normally don’t eat often. The jigae was very tasty, pure home cooking. Definitely something I would not eat more than a few times a year. If the kimchi jigae is solid I am sure the other items will be just as good.

I enjoyed the banchan and they will gladly fill it up if you want more.

Another Korean comfort food favorite. The scallion pancakes had the flavor I just wish there was a little more crisp to it.

Alchemist Coffee

One of the busier KTown coffee joints I been in. Good post dinner spot after Kobawoo or Yu Chun.

10 Likes

I really enjoyed Alchemist.
Tried it after a trip to Jinsol Gukbap with a buddy, which was also excellent.

1 Like

Din Tai Fung, Torrance. It hit the spot.

Hot & Sour Soup:

Shrimp & Pork Wontons in Spicy Sauce:

Shrimp Fried Rice:

Noodles with Minced Pork:

Crab & Pork XLB:

12 Likes

Couple weekends worth.

Howlin Rays

Batters Box :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes: medium spice

2 large Breasts medium and mild

Raku

Gjusta

Prime fuckin reeeeeb :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Ginger lemonade and cucumber limeade

Fish plate :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Pastrami reuben :heart_eyes:

Even their potato chips are fuckkn great :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Parks BBQ - still reigning king for me for KBBQ

Ggot Sal

Galbi :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes: and veggies/mushrooms

Shrimp scallion pancake

Pork belly w/ kimchee :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

16 Likes

Hi @A5KOBE,

! You had a secret FTC Gjusta Club meeting and didn’t invite us? :stuck_out_tongue: :smile: (j/k) Looks like you hit the FTC trifecta. Some amazing eats, now I crave Howlin’ Ray’s again. :frowning: (and Raku, and Gjusta, and Park’s BBQ.) :grin:

Gjusta at 12pm yesterday took me 30 minutes total to order and eat. :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Next time I’ll put out the FTC Gjusta fan club bat signal. :grin:

3 Likes

Everyday is like Sundae (at Father’s Office)… Black and Tan Sundae: Old Rasputin Ice Cream, Coffee Stout Cake, Salted Caramel Sauce & Crispy Cocoa Nibs. #drunkenmasterdessert

7 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/BegLgKGhmOp/

Blood orange creamsicle donuts at Sidecar CM.

5 Likes

Spent the afternoon and evening in Manhattan Beach.
Wine club event at Arthur J…if the snacks they brought out are an indication of what dinner is like, then I need to make an effort to come back for dinner. The lamb chops with chimichurri were fantastic and paired well with some of the pinots they brought down from Napa/Sonoma. They also had some of the best sliders I’ve ever had, and I was impressed by their honey glazed salmon. The roasted romanesco and assorted cauliflower with capers, currants, and toasted almonds was also quite good. I apparently missed the steak bites that were tray passed.
Followed up with dinner and drinks at Fishing with Dynamite. The raw bar selection here is very good. My favorites tonight were the Pacific Plump and the Wellfleet…the Peruvian scallops were also spectacular. I was most impressed by the Koshihikari rice dish tonight…it was like a cross between risotto and congee with shrimp, uni, and an egg yolk. There was a citrus element that really made the dish sing. I want to try reverse engineering this one at home. The key lime pie was also delicious.
We don’t get out to the South Bay often, but I’m so glad we were able to knock a couple of places off of our list while we were here.

9 Likes