January 2018 Weekend Rundown

The texture was very creamy didn’t detect pandan and egg notes in the kaya. No butter in the inside too I think. I don’t think I’ll get the other food there.

I heard Cassia does a kaya toast, anyone tried it?

Saw an old post by sinosoul on this place.

Prik King with Crispy Pork, pet pet. Mmm spicy string beans. Some of the pieces of pork absorbed the prik king well.

Grilled Squid. A Bangkok street classic with a nice spicy sauce to dip in.

I personally like Yai’s on Hollywood for Crispy Pork (morning glory or Chinese broc), I think it’s the best. CPG offers some interesting variety including one with Thousand Year Old egg.

2 Likes

And we’re back with more Mediterranean goods. This time from Spread Kitchen in dtla, squeaked in just before they closed on Sunday afternoon at 3:30. They plan to extend into evening hours on Feb. 1. Pleasant space, bar seating, tables, indoor/outdoor seating, counter, and couches, relatively quiet. The co-owner Brandon hung around to chat while serving us. Just up the street from PYT, Ludlow, in that block of Main. It’s one of those pick from Column A, B, and C, with add-ons ok. I had the roasted mushrooms with Israeli salad, hummus, and various dressings. SO had falafel with a spicy slaw, labneh, and spicy “cheesy” dressing. They have za’ataar, hot sauces, and a tasty homemade green condiment kinda like a saucy chimichurri that we got offered late in the game, but noteworthy . I’m not doing it justice. Spread is a good alternative to other (read pricier) places in that block, …never hurts to have a full bar - I had a Rose, SO had the Thelonius Monk on tap - all very convenient before heading to music at the Love Song bar. Green stuff in the jar- yum.

2 Likes

The Coconut Custard at Thai Nakorn!

1 Like