January 2019 Weekend Rundown

You’re right. I’ve been at 9AM-ish and there are way more items out on display. But that’s okay, I just really wanted croissants anyway…no complaints here.

1 Like

Finally had the Gwen meatball sando that gets much love here… and holy hell is the love ever justified. That is one juicy meatball, and the broccoli rabe pesto is perfect. It will almost certainly be the highlight of my weekend eating.

4 Likes

Right on!

I’m having dinner at Gwen tonight.
Any recent experiences?

1 Like

I’ve never been for dinner, but based on the sandwich I really want to go! A coworker (… the boss) goes regularly and loves it, though I’m not sure what his order is.

Welcome to the Gwen meatball crew.

They have a pastrami now too, but was too scared to get it this week instead of the meatball :wink: gonna try next week I think.

1 Like

Finally got to eat the croissant from Chaumont. Popped it in the toaster oven for a bit and the result continues to be the best croissant that I’ve ever had. The top becomes shatteringly crisp and the flavor of the French butter just hits you. I’m so glad I bought more than a couple…tomorrow’s post-gym breakfast is going to be so good!

9 Likes

Feng Maoed again

It’s settled, no more seafood there, meh. Focusing on lamb, chicken hearts, beef, tendon was good as was their bean paste jigae. Banchan is poor. It’s all about pounding beers and having the lamb here

5 Likes

I find this bothersome. Here is a handy-dandy map. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The croissants at Chaumont are definitely my favorite in the city.

2 Likes

Also the croissant loaf at Proof in Atwater is worth your time (if you haven’t already tried it)

1 Like

You are right other than the excellent “mara” lamb and beef, the rest of skewers are not very good.
But I think there are two amazing things from the kitchen:
– cumin fried chicken bones are outrageously great.
– fried string beans with peppers are also fantastic. They have this crunchy big orange smokey pepper (I have no idea what it is) that kills it. Might be a chipotle…

1 Like

Costco.

9 Likes

Wait, is there some sort of distortion from a wide angle lens? How is the sandwich so big compared to the hand holding it??? What sort of sorcery is this???

Agreed. I admittedly didn’t go looking for the best croissant in Paris, but I don’t recall a run-of-the-mill croissant there being any better than Chaumont. And I refuse to eat any other croissant in LA now (aside from Amandine, in a pinch).

1 Like

That’s like $4 worth of onions on that hot dog

2 Likes

I love good Costco dog every now and then…but I’m an animal. I do a mix of deli mustard, onions, relish, and ketchup.

2 Likes

Thanks, @cmxhpla! I don’t get out to Atwater very often, but will bookmark that if I ever do.

Agree. Locating Anatolia ain’t tough.

2 Likes

Followed up my udon/izakaya dinner with a stop at the local taco truck for an order of fish and shrimp tacos…I’ve been wanting some all week, but you know…rain. Jose’s Tacos in Whittier were back in business tonight and the tacos were delicious.

2 Likes

Sichuan Impression.

Well I gave it a try.

Besides a few basic bitch Sichuan dishes, it ain’t for me.

That Fish in Hua Jiao/Chiles…taste like plastic and communism.

6 Likes