Japanese Savory Pancakes - Doya Doya vs. Chinchikurin

duplicate

10 Likes

I miss Gaja. :sob:

4 Likes

My silence on Chinchikurin was (ahem) intentional…

2 Likes

Hi @J_L,

Yah I figured as much. :wink:

1 Like

@Chowseeker1999, you saved me a revisit to Chinchikurin. The noodles must be their style. I don’t get it, but I guess that’s their preference. Typically the noodles are thinner and not so substantial. Their version to me is a distraction.

Ikaten IS a great snack with beer. On okonomiyaki? Hmmm… No thanks.

2 Likes

Thanks @bulavinaka. Good to know. :slight_smile:

What’s your favorite toppings at Doya Doya? And do you like any of their small plates there? Any recs?

Thanks!

Pork and cheese with extra green onions is my usual order.

The garlic butter shrimp and/or squid, shishito peppers, their stewed beef or pork, pork w/ kimchi, potato salad and yakisoba. The seasonal specials list obviously varies and is worth checking. I’ve never tried the nabe dishes but they look worthy.

1 Like

Did gaja close!?!?:scream:

1 Like

Thanks for the recs @bulavinaka. :slight_smile:

Have you tried the okonomiyaki they sell outside of Nijiya on Sawtelle (not sure how often they do that)? Just wondering how it might compare… :slight_smile:

Hey @Nemroz - any recommendations for bottles to help forget yesterday’s Arsenal game? [quote=“Chowseeker1999, post:1, topic:5243”]
If there was one thing we didn’t like was that it was a bit oversauced this time (compared to our last visit 2 years ago). It seemed like it was a just a bit too much Okonomiyaki Sauce, so it was a bit too heavy on the Worcestershire-like flavor.
[/quote]

I’ve been wanting to try out Doya Doya, but on the pics alone, my concern was the saucing… Bummer to hear that my concerns were valid. Are you able to ask for less?

You can, but that amount of oko sauce is standard. Depending on what is in your oko, that amount of sauce may or may not be to your liking. Because my usual order is heavy on countering flavors (pork belly, cheese and extra negi), it’s fine - especially with that pile of negi on top.

Hi @President_Mochi,

Yah, you can ask. The waitress was really accommodating for the 2 neighboring tables (and their various requests to the Okonomiyaki orders).

I don’t think it ruined it though; it was still a tasty Okonomiyaki. But next time, yah, I’ll ask for light use of sauce. :slight_smile: Thanks.

you’d think you’d be used to it by now, he snarked.

Ha. Meant for that to be in the Budget Bottle thread.

Oops, he said, and promptly returned to weeping.

Good to know, @bulavinaka & @Chowseeker1999. Thanks for the info. I’ll keep that in mind when I visit.

at least youre not playing on thursday night on a cow pasture, he said zlatanly.

1 Like

screw you man!!! lol.

whiskey…that’s the bottle recommendation. fml. Alexis can fuck off too

count your blessings. you could be a psg supporter right now.

unreal.