Jitlada Lovers--What are your favorite dishes?

• Pumpkin + soft shell crab curry
  • Plaa Pear (I think that’s what it’s called; fried fish + flash fried basil)

Both blue crab salads.
Turmeric flavoured shrimp curry with tamarind shoots.
Another curry of mullet with taro shoots.
Jungle curry with pork.
Lamb with pumpkin.

The Crispy Catfish Salad and the Claypot with Seafood.

–Dommy!

Green mussel curry
Lamb kua kling
Jungle curry

Yes! The kaeng som kung with cha om gai. No one makes this better in LA. No one. Even if you can find it (Spicy BBQ, Darabar, and, IIRC, Pailin). Granted, it’s not a Southern dish, but it does show Jitlada doing things well since 2006.

I know it ain’t pad Thai tho.

1 Like

no.30 shrimp with turmeric & tamarind shoots: delicious and unique

no. 17 phangnga jungle curry (pork): I ordered full-on spicy, reminded me of vindaloo, curious to compare Luv2Eat’s version. Meat was great but the vegetables were meh.

2 Likes

oh wow, i stopped going there b/c of all the service issues i’d had over the years but now reading this i need to go back! it’s been way too long.

meh

care to elaborate on that?

care to elaborate on that?

meh

so if i were to interpret ‘meh’, you are saying there’s no need to return to jitlada?

It is still one of the best if not the best thai restaurant in LA. The service and pricing make it hard to go back a lot though.

so if i were to interpret ‘meh’, you are saying there’s no need to return to jitlada?

Just messing with you; grueling day at work, needed the break.

The food quality (for me) has never been up to the legend, and the service and prices just further pushes the restaurant down the restaurant pecking order. Then again, I’m just another asshole on the internet so don’t mind my opinion.

With the closing of Red Medicine, I think Jitlada is once again the most polarizing restaurant in LA.

1 Like

I went maybe 4-5x total. Haven’t been in 2-3 yrs? The food did intermittently hit legend for me and was always at least good. The service issues, though, seemed to get worse over time and, during my last visit, were inexcusable, IMHO. Being seated and then having to wait 30+ min simply to place a drink order is not okay, regardless of how good the food is. And the place, while not exorbitantly expensive, ain’t cheap, either. If I lived w/i walking distance, maybe I’d feel differently. But since I have to drive halfway across the city for this, I prefer to give my $ to other people.

1 Like

I went with TonyC who at that point was more or less a regular, and even he had to get up and get silverware for us.

1 Like

That part doesn’t bother me so much, if the trays are out in the open. But I normally can’t access the beverage fridge myself. :wink:

1 Like

I always got the impression that they pay more attention to you if they think you’re even somewhat famous.

1 Like

o.k., i haven’t been in a while, but how come this bad service thing never happened to me at jitlada? i mean, i’m unhip, fat, ugly and lack anything approaching “charm.” and baby, i am NOT a patient man. d.c. restaurants used to send me into paroxysms because they’d never bring the fucking check. and don’t even get me started on – shudder – vancouver.

why the hell am i so special these service nightmares never happened to me?

1 Like

Is your first name Jonathan and last name a chemical element and color?

3 Likes

1 Like