Jonathan Gold's 101 Best LA Restaurants 2016

Seriously the biscuits and gravy with fried chicken at Republique is fantastic. I would order it over and over again.

Did I ever state that Republique was comically overpriced? I’m prone to exaggerating so I wouldn’t put it past me, but I don’t recall that. Anyway, to your points . . .

You’ll never find two restaurants with the same menu.

If Republique as an entity doesn’t make specific decisions that affect their food costs, overhead, and menu prices then color me confused. Not sure who’s fault it is.

At any rate, enjoy your meals there! And, more infrequently, I mine!

1 Like

I miss Campanile, too.
Try Republique, though! Spendy, but I suppose not everything in life can be a top value. It’s not a rip-off by any means.

1 Like

Sorry, got confused between posters.

I think you summed up the best view on Republique, it’s expensive but not a rip off.

2 Likes

And that’s the crux of it. You can dress it up all you want, but at the end of the day, it’s still a pig ear. Or a tendon or whatever.

As for Republique, I also keep intending to go there, but end up somewhere else. It’s not just the prices, I’ve heard so many stories about the server attitude problem, and I detest that in a restaurant.

I agree it is hard to compare to other restaurants. Republique’s menu is fairly standard and it doesn’t strike me as a “fine dining” destination restaurant, although it occupies a charming space and charges fine dining prices.

Maybe someone can compare the following two restaurants, service and price/quality index based on two comparable dishes:

Republique: Papparadelle with pork ragu, $29
Osteria Mozza: Papparadelle with rabbit ragu, $22

Or something along those lines.

1 Like

[quote=“Aesthete, post:79, topic:4503”]
Just trying to get an idea of where people compare the place to regularly
[/quote]I haven’t been, so can’t compare.

[quote=“Aesthete, post:79, topic:4503”]
French elements, Tournedos Rossini made according to the original Escoffier recipe.
[/quote]These things do appeal to me very much.

I can’t explain it, other than we can’t dine at places like Republique like it’s just another day. When we can, it’s someplace that has intrigued us like Le Comptoir. Otherwise it’s our regular spots like Animal or Angelini Osteria. We trekked thru skid row to Factory Kitchen, but not to Bestia. We’re just funny that way :upside_down:.

1 Like

[quote=“bulavinaka, post:80, topic:4503”]
After that, go to Sycamore Kitchen up the street and kick yourself for not doing so in the first place.
[/quote]Ahhh… now that we have done. See? It’s great value for us as a family (or girls lunch). The kids think it’s hip. We have good food, a good time… and the sweets :kissing_smiling_eyes:!

[quote=“frommtron, post:83, topic:4503”]
Try Republique, though! Spendy, but I suppose not everything in life can be a top value. It’s not a rip-off by any means.
[/quote]Oh yes, for sure. We will certainly go. But it’s not a quirky place like Red Medicine that came and went before we got around to it :slight_frown:. I don’t think Republique is going anywhere.

1 Like

I didn’t bother to quote parts of your reply. Because I agree with all of it.

[quote=“A5KOBE, post:81, topic:4503”]
Seriously the biscuits and gravy with fried chicken at Republique is fantastic
[/quote]Egads! I love biscuits and gravy and chicken!

Republique has made this humble rustic dish with finesse and well intentioned thought.

1 Like

See. Why do you have to make me cry like that? Red Medicine . . . sigh

1 Like

You guys know Jordan Kahn (the chef behind Red Medicine) has a new place called Destroyer right?

Animal and Le Comptoir are just as expensive, or more expensive than Republique; but pretty different in style. But Angelini is probably cheaper, though very different to me in style, but I would guess most people would just think “do I want pasta?” when choosing between them

Definitely a weird choice on Factory Kitchen since it’s only a couple blocks from Bestia; it’s far easier to sit in, but Bestia is an order of magnitude better, and they’re priced almost identically. Their signature pasta is pretty good/unique FK though, I’ll give it that, and you can walk in… that might make the difference for most people haha

Yep… You’re probably right about all of that. You forgot how beautiful Republique is too :wink:.

Yep… I had to step away from the weirdness that is the Destroyer thread.

It was a weird thread, but anyone missing Kahn’s cooking should be happy about Destroyer regardless of the press surrounding it. I was a late night regular at Red Medicine, and spend the night at the restaurant when it closed eating my way through their menu.

The only negative to Destroyer for me are the extremely limited day time hours…hah

[quote=“Aesthete, post:97, topic:4503”]
I was a late night regular at Red Medicine, and spend the night at the restaurant when it closed eating my way through their menu.
[/quote]That’s funny.

[quote=“Aesthete, post:97, topic:4503”]
The only negative to Destroyer for me are the extremely limited day time hours…hah
[/quote]Yes… it makes it difficult for people who live across town. Unless you’re an intrepid food seeker.

how much will those fuckin kevin logo T-shirts cost

1 Like

The F if I know - it was a f-ing joke - the t-shirts that is - certainly not kevin!!!

1 Like