July 2016 weekend rundown

I asked again and they said late August!

Platinum bara-chirashi, Sushi Tsujita…

9 Likes

Weekend walkabout for Japanese eats and snacks. :slight_smile:

We first stopped by the Nagoya Fair 2016 (posted in the Unagi thread earlier).

New Anzutei Ramen (Gardena, CA)

Anzutei Ramen, the Nagoya-style Ramen shop in Downtown L.A. recently moved down to the South Bay, to much more spacious digs. The parking is more plentiful (they have their own dedicated parking lot), and it’s near so many other great Japanese eateries in the South Bay that it makes for a great day of trying out a bunch of things.

Chahan (Japanese Fried Rice with Pork Belly):

Their Chahan with Pork Belly was delicious! :slight_smile: It had a good searing from the wok, and was just the right amount of salt, fragrance of the Green Onions and chunks of Pork Belly.

Gyoza (Potsickers):

Anzutei makes their own Potstickers in-house. The filling is decent (Pork and Veggies), and there’s a heavy sear on the bottom.

Shoyu Ramen (Soy Sauce-based Ramen):

Their Nagoya-style Shoyu Ramen is as good as ever! :slight_smile: Not too salty, clear broth with a Soy Sauce and Chicken and Pork Bone base. Definitely worth a try if you’re in the mood for something lighter than the usual heavy Tonkotsu (Pork Bone) fat-laced Ramen that dominate L.A.

Their Pork Belly Chashu that comes with the Ramen is as tender, meaty and with a great sear as before. It has a deep Pork funk (in a good way), and melts in your mouth.

Shio Ramen (Salt-based Ramen):

This Nagoya-style Sea Salt based Ramen is the lightest Ramen broth they serve here. It’s also Chicken and Pork Bone-based, but tastes really light compared to the Shoyu and Tantanmen. It comes topped with Shrimp Wontons, Fish Cake, Wheat Cake and Green Onions. The Charred Onions adds a smoky, satisfying depth of flavor with each sip.

Overall, it tasted more like a lighter Chinese-style Noodle Soup than a usual “Ramen” that we’re used to, but it was fine.

Tantanmen (Sesame, Special Blend Chile Oil Flavored Ramen Noodles):

I was most looking forward to this offering. It was my favorite when they first opened in Downtown L.A. Sadly, it wasn’t as good. It wasn’t bad, but it was a bit saltier than before, and less interesting and complex. There was a nuttiness, but it just tasted a bit flat at times.

We’re hoping it’s an off-day.

Grape Sorbet:

They offered a complementary Grape Sorbet as an Opening Promotion, and it was delicious! Nice and chilled, it wasn’t overly sweet, literally tasting like Pure Grapes distilled into the Ice. :blush: So perfect for this hot day!

They’ve added 3 other new Ramen flavors as well: A Ma-Bo Ramen (with Mabo Tofu), Curry Ramen and a Spicy Ramen, so we’d probably go back and try those next time.

(New) Anzutei Ramen
15915 S Western Ave.
Gardena, CA 90247
Tel: (213) 999-9302

Sakura-Ya

I love Sakura-Ya! :slight_smile: Thanks to the many recommendations for this place on our old board, we stopped by today for another visit. Paging @MaladyNelson to try this.

Run by a nice, friendly Japanese family, they’ve been making Japanese Mochi (Pounded Rice Sweets) by hand since 1960! :open_mouth:

White Mochi (Sweet Azuki Bean Filling):

Wow! Super soft, fluffy Japanese Rice Desserts! It is so soft, and delicate and FLUFFY! :blush: These are seriously the best Mochi I’ve ever had!

Kinako Mochi (Soy Bean Powder, Sweet Azuki Bean Filling):

The Kinako Mochi is even better. It’s still using freshly pounded Rice as a base, and filled with a sweet Azuki Bean filling, but the Kinako Powder on the outside gives a nice nutty flavor. :slight_smile:

Pink Mochi (Sweet White Bean Filling):

Their Pink Mochi is just too cute not to order. :wink: It also features a sweet White Bean-style filling, instead of Azuki (Red) Beans. I think the flavors are just as interesting, but in a different way. It really depends if you like Azuki vs. White Bean, but both are worth trying.

And just like before, so fluffy, pillowy and soft! :slight_smile:

I can’t believe they sell for only $1.40 each.

(Cash or Check Only)

Sakura-Ya
16134 S. Western Ave.
Gardena, CA 90247
Tel: (310) 323-7117

Overall a good afternoon, topped off by Sakura-Ya. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

#EP & LP
I’ll add my thoughts in separate thread.

baby green lip abalone

kakoda - fijian ceviche with baja rock shrimp and coconut milk :fried_shrimp:

Hot and sour wagyu beef tartare :cow2:

wood grilled lamb neck :sheep:

clam and soft-shell crab curry :crab:

3 Likes

Ah, I’ve been meaning to try Sakura-Ya for a long, long time; I used to take Japanese craft classes near there. My understanding is that Sakura-Ya’s wagashi are rustic, but tastier than Chikara Mochi, which is touted for their artistry. I’ve fallen into a bad habit of purchasing wagashi from J.Sweets in the Mitsuwa mall since their presentation is so nice. I’ll have to change it up. Thanks for the reminder, @Chowseeker1999!

2 Likes

Hi @MaladyNelson,

Ooh! I’ve never heard of Chikara. What do you like there? I’ll have to try this next time I’m there. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I haven’t been to Chikara; it’s been on my bucket list for a while. I mostly go to Fugetsu-Do and J.Sweets. I’m not sure what their best flavors are. I’ve constantly heard that Chikara pays more attention to the aesthetics of their wagashi than flavor. Also they’re pricier. I’m not sure if they’re worth trying, but their wagashi are so gorgeous.

You can see Chikara’s artistry here:
http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/chikara-mochi-gardena

This is Angie J.'s photo:

4 Likes

We stopped at Kogi Taqueria today, because men get grouchy if they don’t eat.

I ordered a kimchi quesadilla, which I’ve never tried. I should have stuck with the tacos. Orange cheese, so-so kimchi, and then for some reason they drench it with a sauce that totally made the whole thing soggy. My friend had the chicken quesadilla, which was better, but also sauced to death.

As you can see in the photo, I tried to salvage it with some Whole Foods kale salad I happened to have in my purse, but I mostly ate the salad and about two bites of the quesadilla.

Alibi Room is so much better.

3 Likes

#Status kuo

lamb and beef skewers
These were a little tough

shrimp and pork stuffed squash blossoms
These were a winner, perfectly crisped squash blossoms stuffed with ground shrimp and pork. They reminded me of a better version of stuffed peppers or eggplant you find at dim sum restaurants.

duck pizza
This was good a little bit dry. I think this could be great if they added some hoisin sauce.

sunday gravy
Perfectly al dente pasta with five spice braised pork, very good. What you would get if pine & crane’s minced pork on rice had a child with alimento’s radiatori

#Sushi Tsujita

Went back today to research the platinum bara-chirashi, whilst also doing my part to rid the world’s oceans of those godless stinging machines one uni at a time. #makingamericasafeagain

bara-chirashi platinum edition

6 Likes

Damn that tuna is fatty!

Three Meals this weekend to Rundown…all good…but which was best???
500 Million for whoever guesses correctly…

Shibumi
Kali
BS Taqueria

Shibumi would be too obvious! Kali. I take my winnings in peso’s :wink:

Bs Taqueria
I’ll take the lump sum option.

Guess I’ll take Shibumi.

But I’d like to hear some nice things about Kali.

BS Taqueria, but I’m also guessing the prize is in the form of drachmas.

[quote=“Bookwich, post:155, topic:3671”]
because men get grouchy if they don’t eat.
[/quote]:smile: I know. It should be in their instruction manual.

[quote=“Bookwich, post:155, topic:3671”]
kale salad I happened to have in my purse
[/quote]You’re really funny with this kale salad business.

1 Like

So pretty!

1 Like

Everything looks great. But that ceviche in coconut milk and the clam & crab curry :kissing_smiling_eyes:.

1 Like

Good report as usual @Chowseeker1999. Sweet descriptions on the various Mochi.

Friday eve at Moruno at The Farmers Market on Fairfax. Spanish dishes and small plates.

Pork Shoulder on Grilled Escarole. I only tasted the escarole. It was a little oily, but had a nice smokey flavor from the pork drippings. Hubby loved the pork.

I loved my grilled Chicken Thighs w/garlic & cilantro.

Perfectly cooked Gunpowder Fries w/side of Garlic Sauce.

Artichokes “a la Plancha”

Complimentary Olive Medley.

Delicious evening.

Saturday with the “kids” at The Parlor on Melrose, watching UFC 201. There was a table full of bar food. Wasn’t up to taking pictures. But they really liked these sliders.

It’s cool they still like hanging with us. But we drew the line at continuing on with them to Lock & Key in K-town :relaxed:.

We grilled in the backyard Sunday. Good weekend! I’m tired :relieved:.

5 Likes