July 2016 weekend rundown

I haven’t been to Chikara; it’s been on my bucket list for a while. I mostly go to Fugetsu-Do and J.Sweets. I’m not sure what their best flavors are. I’ve constantly heard that Chikara pays more attention to the aesthetics of their wagashi than flavor. Also they’re pricier. I’m not sure if they’re worth trying, but their wagashi are so gorgeous.

You can see Chikara’s artistry here:
http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/chikara-mochi-gardena

This is Angie J.'s photo:

4 Likes

We stopped at Kogi Taqueria today, because men get grouchy if they don’t eat.

I ordered a kimchi quesadilla, which I’ve never tried. I should have stuck with the tacos. Orange cheese, so-so kimchi, and then for some reason they drench it with a sauce that totally made the whole thing soggy. My friend had the chicken quesadilla, which was better, but also sauced to death.

As you can see in the photo, I tried to salvage it with some Whole Foods kale salad I happened to have in my purse, but I mostly ate the salad and about two bites of the quesadilla.

Alibi Room is so much better.

3 Likes

#Status kuo

lamb and beef skewers
These were a little tough

shrimp and pork stuffed squash blossoms
These were a winner, perfectly crisped squash blossoms stuffed with ground shrimp and pork. They reminded me of a better version of stuffed peppers or eggplant you find at dim sum restaurants.

duck pizza
This was good a little bit dry. I think this could be great if they added some hoisin sauce.

sunday gravy
Perfectly al dente pasta with five spice braised pork, very good. What you would get if pine & crane’s minced pork on rice had a child with alimento’s radiatori

#Sushi Tsujita

Went back today to research the platinum bara-chirashi, whilst also doing my part to rid the world’s oceans of those godless stinging machines one uni at a time. #makingamericasafeagain

bara-chirashi platinum edition

6 Likes

Damn that tuna is fatty!

Three Meals this weekend to Rundown…all good…but which was best???
500 Million for whoever guesses correctly…

Shibumi
Kali
BS Taqueria

Shibumi would be too obvious! Kali. I take my winnings in peso’s :wink:

Bs Taqueria
I’ll take the lump sum option.

Guess I’ll take Shibumi.

But I’d like to hear some nice things about Kali.

BS Taqueria, but I’m also guessing the prize is in the form of drachmas.

[quote=“Bookwich, post:155, topic:3671”]
because men get grouchy if they don’t eat.
[/quote]:smile: I know. It should be in their instruction manual.

[quote=“Bookwich, post:155, topic:3671”]
kale salad I happened to have in my purse
[/quote]You’re really funny with this kale salad business.

1 Like

So pretty!

1 Like

Everything looks great. But that ceviche in coconut milk and the clam & crab curry :kissing_smiling_eyes:.

1 Like

Good report as usual @Chowseeker1999. Sweet descriptions on the various Mochi.

Friday eve at Moruno at The Farmers Market on Fairfax. Spanish dishes and small plates.

Pork Shoulder on Grilled Escarole. I only tasted the escarole. It was a little oily, but had a nice smokey flavor from the pork drippings. Hubby loved the pork.

I loved my grilled Chicken Thighs w/garlic & cilantro.

Perfectly cooked Gunpowder Fries w/side of Garlic Sauce.

Artichokes “a la Plancha”

Complimentary Olive Medley.

Delicious evening.

Saturday with the “kids” at The Parlor on Melrose, watching UFC 201. There was a table full of bar food. Wasn’t up to taking pictures. But they really liked these sliders.

It’s cool they still like hanging with us. But we drew the line at continuing on with them to Lock & Key in K-town :relaxed:.

We grilled in the backyard Sunday. Good weekend! I’m tired :relieved:.

5 Likes

Hollandse Nieuwe met uitjes & Nova Salmon Bagels & Sturgeon from Russ and Daughters

7 Likes

i’m more interested in what other food items you’re carrying around in your purse.

5 Likes

Posting something like that just isn’t fair! Although, I do wish R&D’s bagels were a bit better.

3 Likes

Winner.

All three were nice meals.
Shibumi I already wrote up.
Kali was very tasty too - charred avocado is a great dish.
But BS Taqueria was excellent. Carne Asada, Chicharron with chicken oyster and skin, shrimp taocs all excellent.

500,000,000 nanoseconds of deep appreciation for @PorkyBelly are in the mail.

5 Likes

did you try the churros?

Yeah the bagels were disappointing, quite taken aback, thought it was me initially. OTH, Smoked fish were excellent.