July 2016 weekend rundown

Yeah the bagels were disappointing, quite taken aback, thought it was me initially. OTH, Smoked fish were excellent.

Road Trip.
Gilroy Garlic Festival and Anderson’s Split Pea Soup.

7 Likes

Hi @CiaoBob,

Nice! Glad you liked BS Taqueria! Did you try any of their cocktails?

Hi @TheCookie,

Nice write up! For Moruno, is their AC running, or is it like an open window type setting? (I thought the previous Short Order was like that.)

Nah, we were stuffed and I don’t eat sweets often, even if they are highly tauted. But the folks next to us inhaled them. With big smiles.

Yes, two very good ones:

De Effe – Mezcal, Carpano Antica, Ancho Reyes, Cafe Lolita, Habanero Bitters
and
Paleta - Tequila Reposado infused with grapefruit, Milk-washed, Cappalletti, Fresh Grapefruit & Lime, Coconut, Velvet Falernum

Front of house and servers were all terrific too.

1 Like

Hi @Chowseeker1999 -

The place was packed. I wondered the same thing. But we were walk-ins and sat at the bar in front of the open kitchen, which was naturally hot. But surprisingly not as bad as expected. Which could mean they have an air system. The poor kitchen workers were downing ice water.

P.S. We had a great bartender/server. I didn’t catch his name. He’s from Detroit. He & hubby talked a lot of hockey :confused:.

1 Like

[quote=“Sgee, post:173, topic:3671”]
Smoked fish were excellent.
[/quote]It looks it! Oh man.

Have been waiting to write up a recent trip to Moruno, am sort of behind on it. I think it deserves its own thread, as most of what I ate was very, very good.

Sitting in front of the kitchen at 10 pm felt totally comfortable to me, but I guess the night is much nicer than the day in current weather patterns.

1 Like

Please provide a tracking number, thanks.

1 Like

Hatchet Hall, five previously untried dishes, one old standby.Sliced tomatoes, like you remember from childhood

Benne rolls and ham, old faveIce cream sundae w. Pistachio cake, frozen outside of glass with chunks of yum to mine. Playful and soo goodRemnant of shrimp meunière,actually shrimp and grits. Do not miss this.Soft shell crab and creamed corn. Corn tasted fresh grated off cob.Unfortunately, best dish of evening did not photograph well enough. Cranberry beans with ham hock and cream. Chef stopped by while making rounds. His favorite dish too. He said just about no one orders it because it seems too simple, but the beans are cooked with the ham hocks for a long time, and the cream makes it one of the best things I have ever eaten. Dunsmoor at his best. Try it.

4 Likes

Glad I’m not the only one that likes this place!

1 Like

i need to call my mom and yell at her (with utmost love and respect).

5 Likes

Uh yum… Hatchet Hall does seem great.

Seriously…

oopsy!

1 Like

Deleted because wrong thread.

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: August 2016 Weekend Rundown

Just catching up after returning from a road trip ourselves. And we passed by Andersen’s (took photos)! How was it???

Good in a nostalgic way …