July 2016 weekend rundown

Welcome to my world =)

1 Like

Pho Filet, Rosemead. Had a craving for good pho

Fried egg bahn mi at Saigon Bakery. Surprisingly good combo. I still prefer the bread at Mr. Baguette though

DIY, Hyderabadi dum chicken biryani. Cuz I can’t find decent biryani in LA. Still haven’t made it to Zam Zam.

9 Likes

[quote=“President_Mochi, post:76, topic:3671”]
MUSSO & FRANK’S Walked up for a mid-afternoon martini. The place was packed, and everyone seemed to be having a great time.
[/quote]Did anyone put this on @Eljeffy’s B+ Comforting Restaurants list? It’s definitely a place to go with a friend, have a classic meal, a great martini and superb service.

1 Like

Have you tried Chagra House in Culver City? I’m no biryani expert (but I play one on TV), but I thought their chicken biryani was great.

looks better than the zam zam - which to me wasn’t all that great (at least the pre-close-then-re-open version)

1 Like

Dry. Never had the soupy one.

Enjoyed an impromptu friday night dinner at Inotheke on Broadway/6th in SaMo - Greek style tapas with wine and beer.

Standout for was the grilled octopus salad, orzo/lamb and the fava with botarga. Kumamoto oysters were ok. All in all a very good meal.

2 Likes

Thanks to the heads up from WesSabi, my partner treated me to a Plan Check date night for the Pom Pom Purin & Chococat set meal. Unfortunately the meal was more visually than gustatorily satisfying.

4 Likes

@bulavinaka - Hopefully. Louie’s was packed to the brim when I walked by, so at least there seems to be a crowd in the area to tap into.

@CiaoBob - Dammit. Off to the time machine.

haven’t tried charga house either… also on my list.

@MaladyNelson: never heard of the Indian place. How was the palak paneer too rich? I ask b/c I actually like my spinach very pureed, so this might be right up my alley.

Love the Maeda-en ice cream mochi (which are available at Bristol Farms, of all places), so I might hit up Shuhari, as well. Is this the first time the company’s opened a brick-and-mortar?

Grilled octopus was my fave when neighbors took us a while ago. We ordered another.

1 Like

Zafran Pot is a newish restaurant that replaced Bawarchi, the steam-table vegetarian (then omnivore) restaurant that was renowned for their very surly owner. Zafran Pot’s palak paneer was a bit too buttery for me, but it was tasty. For me the one hit was their aromatic chana masala.

There are service kinks to work out at Shuhari Matcha Cafe, but I liked it. Their beverage offerings run the gamut from plain tea to lattes and sparklers. And since you’re a fan of their mochi ice cream, you might like their sundaes and shakes. Apparently Maeda-en had a small chain of green tea cafes called Green Tea Terrace, but all the locations seem to be closed.

A couple days back I had a Berri’s lobster pizza. Honestly remains just about my favorite pizza in LA. Shockingly beautiful thin crust that is very savory…not sure I have ever had a better thin crust pizza. And the savor of the lobster is super addictive in this context.

I would’ve taken better photos but we devoured it after some bottles of rioja blanco at a concert hahaha

2 Likes

Honestly never heard of this. Is the West LA version as good?

Loving Berri’s Westwood. I’m not a big pizza lover. But like to order lunch for my hard working crew. They get to have the traditional red sauce pies and such, and I can order a non-pizza-ish pie - like the Lobster - and a fresh salad. They also have tasty chicken options for the religious, non-pork/shellfish eaters. Lamonica’s is cool. But Berri’s satisfies all.

1 Like

I have never tried the Westwood location, but I imagine it is just as good. I can’t say for sure. I should try it out sometime.

To me, it is kind of funny, but the lobster pizza at Berri’s feels like an iconic LA dish in my mind. I have never had anything really like it anywhere else in the world haha

Little La Lune Cambodian - Long Beach

Complimentary pork bone broth - smooth, clear, flavorful, and kicked up when you drop in the bone marrow.

Deep fried pig intestines w/ rice and pickle salad

Grilled beef sticks w/ papaya salad

Beef anchovy “salad”

Me ka taing (stir fried noodles)

8 Likes

I stopped by Chargha House for the first time today. The positive was that the owner was very attentive and welcoming. However, I found it difficult to eat more than a third of my aloo gobhi due to its overwhelming oiliness. After letting it sit in the refrigerator for a few hours, the flavors were more harmonious at a lukewarm temperature.

5 Likes

Grabbed lunch at Hamamori at South Coast Plaza. Got the lunch special nigiri and Japanese poke.

Best bites were the taco and unagi with foie gras. Also (not pictured) was their excellent tamagoyaki. Rice could have been a bit less cold.

Salad and miso soup

Their rendition of poke

Nigiri w/ foie gras added to the unagi

Then picked up some food to go and the brand new The Noodle in Chino Hills. Definitely would come back here if the BBQ stays consistent. The location in Rowland Heights tends to be a crap shoot as far as quality and BBQ turnover. This location the charsiu was tender and flavorful, and the roast pork spot on.

Gratuitous BBQ shots

11 Likes