July 2017 Weekend Rundown

I still make Spam and eggs for breakfast

1 Like

#Desano
Meat, vegetables, fruit, dairy, grain #theperfectfood

San Gennaro - San Marzano tomato sauce, sausage, peppadews, garlic, caramelized onions, scamorza, mozzarella di bufala, pecorino romano

margherita D.O.P. add shrooms - San Marzano tomato sauce, basil, garlic, scamorza, mozzarella di bufala, pecorino romano

12 Likes

Looks so good! Thanks for the pics. :slight_smile:

1 Like

With so many good ramen places in town now, I know Shinsengumi Hakata Ramen (Gardena location) isn’t talked about much anymore, but, I have a soft spot for it and still eat there once in a while. I was happy to see that one of the new topping options is a proper soft boiled ajitama. One of the things I didn’t like about Shinsengumi was the hard boiled egg. The ramen is the same as it’s always been. Not mind blowing, but definitely very satisfying.

Their takana chahan will always be my favorite fried rice though, and now it comes with a cup of very tasty and peppery chicken soup (forgot to take a pic).

7 Likes

A proper egg is great news.

Santouka will forever be the benchmark - if you’re not at least as good as them please stop trying.

3 Likes

The fact that I like Shinsengumi much more than Santouka should tell you how low my standards are. :woman_shrugging:t5:

Doesn’t Santouka cook their eggs a bit hard?

Dessert.

Apple pies.

Baby potatoes with olives, capers, champagne vinegar, lemon juice and olive oil. (I needed a posty on that bowl, because the vegans kept asking me if the olives were :bacon:. Silly vegans.)

9 Likes

Yes. But according to that post they have a new “legit egg” option.

1 Like

my favorite chahan is at Kouraku in Little Tokyo. I think that’s the only thing they really excel at besides feeding the drunk masses after the bars or clubs.

1 Like

No, my post was about Shinsengumi. Not Santouka. Shinsengumi has a soft boiled egg now. :slightly_smiling_face:

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh

my bad. whomp whomp.

1 Like

Those pies look great! I can cook like a semi-pro, but never got baking.

I hate that fried rice.

It literally makes all my belts useless.

2 Likes

Same. :rofl:

2 Likes

Not sure I’d wear a belt that sounds like a zip-tie being tightened, but am berating myself for not inventing it!

Pitfire Pizza
Manhattan Beach

Honey Bear (salami, mozzarella, honey, Calabrian chilis, bee pollen, chili flakes). This usually comes with fennel sausage and ricotta but I asked for salami and mozzarella instead because I was trying to recreate Roberta’s Bee Sting pizza. :laughing: It didn’t come out exactly like that obviously, but it was still pretty good!

Greens, Egg, & Ham (broccolini, sunny side up eggs, La Quercia prosciutto, four cheeses). I really liked this one as well.

I know Pitfire is a small chain but we’re lacking in good pizza options in the South Bay and I think this is the best that we have when it comes to “fancy” pizza. I’d go back.

7 Likes

The pizzas look delicious in general, but they charred the heck out of one side on each pizza, especially the first one. Is this standard?

2 Likes

Yeah, they did. This was actually my first time trying their pizza, but from looking at Yelp pics, it seems like a one time thing. More reason for me to go back and try them again. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like