July 2017 Weekend Rundown

Aside from that issue, the pies look worthy. Pitfire has two locations relatively close to us. They are extremely popular.

The Mar Vista location was the first to open in our area (I think it was the first in their chain too), and it has done extremely well from day one. They were one of the first to offer “artisan” pizza in the area but have a pretty extensive menu compared to other pizza joints of this ilk.

We stopped going years ago because of the crazy ass lines, but your pix make me think I should return.

1 Like

It’s not going to knock your socks off, but worth a try I think. Plus their Straus vanilla soft serve with chocolate sauce really is as good as a few people on this board mentioned a while ago.

2 Likes

If you haven’t already, you should also check out Grimaldi’s in El Segundo. Tried it last night for the first time, and I thought it was pretty dang great. The location is a bit wonky, but the pizza is soliddd. (And makes for a lovely Saturday morning breakfast.)

Yassss. The caramel sauce is good too.

3 Likes

Pitfire is good for what it is.

I’m all about that $12 big sur and $6 kids pepperoni pizza.

2 Likes

Pitfire is the Olive garden for people who actually like food.

The QPR is great and the food is actually straight up good. Not great. Not a destination. But enjoyable.
The locations are all nice and kid-friendly.

I’ve never heard anyone have a bad experience at Pitfire.

3 Likes

Grimaldi’s is really good! Glad you liked it.

Oooh. I’ll try that next time. Thanks!

Pueblo in SoCo for brunch today. I don’t think this place gets nearly enough love. I would come here over Vaca any day.

Started with the shrimp and scallop ceviche with house-made seasoned chips. Delicious. Behind that is one of my favorite bites anywhere. the Montadito de Castillos, or short rib two ways. Toast, braised short rib topped by shaved rare short rib. Amazing flavors and textures.

Next was a foie dish that wasn’t on the menu (we always ask, and they always have something). Toast, seared duck breast, a generous piece of foie gras, and a Marcona almond drizzled with honey and sprinkled with micro greens. So good.

Main dish was shrimp over garlic polenta with a soft, slow-cooked egg and greens. Not my favorite dish of the day, but very good.

I almost never order dessert, and I’m not a Nutella fan, but this complimentary house-made Nutella ice cream that our server brought us was outta sight! I will make sure I leave room for this next time I’m in.

Washed it all down with their delicious Cava mimosas. Not sweet, and the taste of the Cava was not masked by an excess of OJ. Not a bad way to start the weekend.

10 Likes

GCM LA TOSTADERÍA Wonderful!
Mixed (octopus, Scallop and Shrimp) Tostada & Shrimp Tostada…

7 Likes

Had a wonderful meal at Blue Gold.

Really good blood mary.

Beet Salad

A very potent yet expertly spiced 1/2 rotisserie chicken. The meat was a little tough but otherwise very tasty.

Dry aged burger was fantastic, definitely a top burger in the city. I prefer Belcampo burger slightly, but this was an excellent burger. Slightly funky,incredibly juicy, and well prepared so that it didn’t fall apart at all despite its verticality.

The burger also came with an amazing pickle plate with a definite fish sauce flavor. These were highly addictive and really interesting.

And the fries were terrific. Slight hint of rosemary, crisp exterior and creamy interior. These fuckers were cut about 3/4" thick.

Service was a bit spotty at times.

View is nice if your into that sort of thing.

I really enjoyed the fact that they serve an excellent burger along with excellent fries. All too often the fries are neglected or the burger is decent and fries really good. Blue Gold has both.

Not sure why my pictures are rotated.

5 Likes

Did you have some of their Straus soft serve ice cream?

I like Pitfire, esp. aforementioned soft serve from Straus, but have you tried the duck egg pizza at Love & Salt? I had to go back to get some of their fabulous housemade English Muffins and fortuitously stumbled upon the duck egg pizza.

2 Likes

I did! With their wonderful chocolate sauce. So good.

I still have not been to Love & Salt, but am planning on going eventually. Thanks for the tip on that pizza and the English muffins. I’ll definitely try them.

Saturday means getting my lamb biriyani and chicken tikka fix from Zam Zam.

Edit: @ipsedixit, I meant to post this in the Weekend Rundown thread. Do you mind moving it there, please? :grimacing:

7 Likes

Done.

1 Like

It was about 100°F outside, which means it was perfect weather for hot and spicy pork neck stew (and a double serving of pork ribs) at Ham Ji Park in K-town.

(By the way, there is a shameless imposter located just east of the corner of Crenshaw & Pico called Ham Ji Bak - Buyer beware…)

6 Likes

Looks great - how was your meal?

Phat Birds for some really good fried chicken

Mitsuwa in Costa Mesa for Gyutan and Beer!

5 Likes

How was Phat Birds? You get extra points for going in this heat.

I’ve never been to the Costa Mesa Mitsuwa, but I’m starting to think that htis is their flagship. “Frozen” Kirin in this weather? :+1:

1 Like

I really like Phat Birds, the traditional and the hot fried are great. Crispy batter, moist chicken, good seasoning. The hot fried is about medium level compared to Howlin Ray’s.

I wish all the other Mitsuwas had a beer stand, this is the only one I know of. But yeah, Tsukasa and their Gyutan is great. The wife had Santouka which is always her go-to but I can’t eat that in this heat.

2 Likes

The only bragging rights Mitsuwa Costa Mesa has is the Gyutan Tsukasa. Really good stuff.

That frozen Kirin looks like it hits the spot!!

Nice and hot beignet at Jazz Kitchen Express

2 Likes

No pics for some since they’re well known.

SF Saloon for happy hour burger and wings, kicking off weekend watching the Lakers and Lonzo Ball debut at Vegas summer pro league. Their HH deals are good.

Revolutionario tacos before they have to move. Smoked lamb sandwich and two merguez w/potato tacos.

Mariscos Jaliscos for shrimp tacos and octopus cocktail

Bahay Kainan for lumpia burger and sisig tater tots (pics posted in July DOTM thread)

Ended the weekend by finally stopping by new Proud Bird food bazaar. Beautiful sunset, airplanes landing, air conditioned room and Bludso’s bbq.

Mateo’s ice cream for a night cap. I love LA…

10 Likes