July 2017 Weekend Rundown

Wadatsumi in Torrance, again. :smile: This time I got the harami (Australian Angus outside skirt steak) and koshihikari rice bowl. I would have preferred the meat to be medium rare but it was still tender and delicious. The rice was just as great as last time.

6 Likes

When is their move? And do they have another location planned?

I think by end of July unless they get some kind of temporary extension. They will have their food truck in the meantime. Sometimes at the current location.

2 Likes

Thankya.

Pico was the original (started by the matriarch) before location #2 (by daughter) moved on up to nicer digs on 6th.

Good to know. But why the different spelling of the names?

Great dinner at Love & Salt in Manhattan Beach last night. Thanks to @ipsedixit for recommending the pizza. It was excellent! I’ll try the English muffins next time. Thinking of going back for brunch soon.

Grilled Mediterranean Octopus - chorizo, crispy potatoes, preserved lemon, salsa verde.

Gnocchi - prosciutto, mushrooms, wild arugula, parmesan.

Trottole - bone marrow, roasted garlic, parsley, parmesan, cracked black pepper.

Duck Egg Pie - pancetta, panna, potato, rosemary, mozzarella, parmesan.

“Not Another Budino” - milk chocolate, hazelnuts, peanuts, sea salt.

Apparently I’ve been living under a rock. I did not know that Blue Star Donuts opened up a location in Manhattan Beach! Unfortunately they were already closed for the day, but now I know for next time. :grinning:

9 Likes

Nice line up at L&S. We went with close friends from out of town. Our friends’ son loves Italian but had a rep as a picky eater since he was knee-high - kinda phobic to most things “weird.” I felt Love & Salt’s deft hand in the kitchen could overcome his fear.

I ordered just about everything on the menu that was “weird” to push his comfort zone (plus a more basic rigatoni dish for his safe zone).

“I know it looks pretty weird, but their octopus is really really good. Try just a small piece - you have nothing to lose. If you don’t like it, at least you’ve tried it and you can move on.”

The son took a small sliver, tentatively sampled it, and actually enjoyed it. The rest of the “weird” dishes weren’t weird anymore. Things like egg on pizza? A duck egg? Rabbit porchetta? Rabbit? All tasty according to him.

The service here is very friendly and pleasant as well. My only whine is that many of the dishes seem smallish.

2 Likes

That I couldn’t tell you, though the original was also “Ham Ji Park” until this most recent sign. Maybe the sign maker took it upon himself to use a more accurate phonetic spelling? :smirk:

Anaheim Original Pancake House…Wonderfull Chicken Fried Steak,
Pecan Pancakes and
Eggs…

7 Likes

That’s cute! Glad he enjoyed their food.

Agree about the portion size. My SO and I have big appetites and considered ordering another pasta dish, but didn’t. :grin:

1 Like

It was one of those moments where I said to myself, “I’m tired of this this kid puttin’ the skids on an otherwise potentially great meal. Time to get him on board.”

We’ve had very good to great dishes there (I’m not an Italofile) so I was confident L&S would Christen the kid right.

4 Likes

Double double animal style whole grilled onions raw onions extra toast sub fries add cheeseburger animal style add peppers.

9 Likes

Very diplomatic way to do it.

1 Like

Jun Won

We finally got around to trying Jun Won.

Free Banchan:

It seems a bit simplistic at first, but they had a few standouts, like this Marinated / Fermented Fish Guts dish(!):

Which was quite funky, but tasty with some of the Brown Rice (which I loved, as it had some mixed grains in there as well):

Sauteed Spicy Pork:

This was recommended by our server, who said this was a popular dish. The Sauteed Spicy Pork was rather underwhelming: Tasting like a typical / standard sweet and spicy Marinated Pork you get at most of the Korean BBQ around town. :frowning:

Steamed Cod Fish:

This is the dish recommended by many, and it was indeed fantastic! :slight_smile: Thanks everyone for the rec! :slight_smile: The Steamed Cod was tender, the sauce was lightly spicy, salty, a bit of funk, and just delicious all around. :slight_smile:

Note: There are a lot of bones in this dish.

The Daikon Radish was delicious as well. If there was one quibble it would be the poor QPR: At $30 (+ tax & tip) for this dish, it felt like it was mostly Daikon and Veggies, with some Cod.

Seafood Green Onion Pancake:

While the menu only lists “Oyster Green Onion Pancake,” our server was nice enough to mention there’s also a Seafood version, with more than just Oysters. We opted for that.

This was delicious! :grin: With the most appealing part being there was actual crispiness for this Seafood Pancake (compared to the mediocre one we had at Kobawoo recently). The Seafood was also plentiful (Squid, Shrimp, Oyster) and the overall taste was pretty spot-on. :slight_smile:

If anyone has other dishes to recommend here, please let me know. Thanks.

Jun Won
414 S. Western Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90020
Tel: (213) 807-0841

Sonoratown (Revisit)

It had been a good half year or more since our last visit, and we wanted to see if they improved or not.

Agua Fresca: Cucumber, Mint, Chia Seed:

This was only lightly sweetened and so refreshing! The Cucumber, Mint was perfect on this hot day and the Chia Seed addition gave each sip a nice slight chew (like mini, healthier Boba :stuck_out_tongue:).

Tripita Taco:

Their Beef Intestine Tacos were OK. A bit chewy, but a decent option if you were in the mood for Beef Intestine over Pork Intestine (which seems to be more common).

Carne Asada Taco (Mesquite Grilled Steak, Housemade Flour Tortilla, Chopped Cabbage, Avocado Sauce):

Their Carne Asada was the original selling point when we first went. Grilled over mesquite, on our first 3 visits, we couldn’t really taste much smokiness. Finally, today on our 4th visit, there was real mesquite smokiness! :slight_smile: However, the Carne Asada was overcooked and beyond well-done. :frowning:

If it was slightly less overcooked, it might be a great Carne Asada option for Downtown.

Chori-Man Chorizo Taco:

As from their opening days, Sonoratown uses local artisan purveyor Chori-Man, who makes a custom Chorizo just for them. It is heavily spiced and smoky (great!), but like the Carne Asada, it was overcooked (beyond well-done). :frowning: If it wasn’t for that, this would’ve been great.

Chicken Chivichanga (Housemade Tortilla, Shredded Chicken Breast, Monterey Jack and Mild Cheddar, Fire Roasted Tomatoes and Mesquite Grilled Anaheim Peppers):

And the local specialty of Sonora (according to the server), their “Chivichanga” is as delicious as our previous visits! :slight_smile: Imagine a Mini-Burrito, stuffed with a Marinated, Stewed Chicken that is delectable, juicy, and really savory with the Fire Roasted Tomatoes and Grilled Anaheim Peppers. Really the highlight here. :blush:

Sonoratown
208 E. 8th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90014
Tel: (213) 290-5184

Redbird (Revisit)

We had another engagement, but stopped in to Redbird briefly to grab some drinks and snacks before moving on. :wink:

As always, Redbird features one of the most gorgeous dining rooms in L.A.

Custom Moscow Mule:

This was a creation by the bartender, when I asked for something like a Moscow Mule, but with their own unique take on it. He was kind enough to oblige. :slight_smile: Fresh-grated Ginger, Cucumber, and balanced by not too much Vodka, this was refreshing and perfect for this hot day. :slight_smile:

Complimentary Housemade Bread:

Their Housemade Bread is as delicious as always. Their Country Dinner Roll was piping hot as was their take on Pão de Queijo (Brazilian Cheese Bread), which featured that cheesy, fluffy interior. :slight_smile:

Spanish Octopus (Blood Orange, Marcona Almond, Coraline, Salsa Macha):

Tender, meaty morsels of Octopus. The Salsa Macha and Blood Orange made for great counterpoints to give it that zest, spiciness but also acidity to make it sing. :slight_smile:

Another Custom Ginger Cocktail:

This was another take on Ginger from the bartender, this time with some fresh Berries in the mix and Gin as the base. This was spicier (from the Fresh-Grated Ginger) but also fantastic. :slight_smile:

Grilled Lamb Belly (Jerk Spice, Sweet Potato, Pineapple, Serrano):

The Lamb Belly was much better than our last visit: This time, while having some fat (expected) it actually had lean meat as well, so it was more balanced. The Jerk Spice had a nice kick, but stood up to the gamy Lamb Belly. Overall, luscious and fragrant. :slight_smile:

Maryland Soft Shell Crab (Cucumber, Cilantro, Lime Pickle, Garam Masala):

Barely any breading (which was nice), crispy, and delicious. Get your Soft Shell Crab while it’s still in season. :slight_smile:

Redbird
114 E. 2nd St.
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Tel: (213) 788-1191

4 Likes

The Yangnyeom Gejang.

Ask Jeff (owner) first if the crab is fresh.

4 Likes

San Diego food…

Tried The Crack Shack today since we were in the area. There was a long line but it moved pretty quickly.

Coop Deville - fried chicken, pickled Fresno chilies, lime mayo, napa cabbage, brioche bun.
I liked it, but I thought the batter on the chicken was too dense and the chicken itself was just a tad bit dry.

Hot Chicken Oysters - pickles, cotija, cilantro.
I love chicken oysters and thought these were pretty good. The sauce tasted like regular buffalo wing sauce, but mixed with the cheese, cilantro, and pickles, there was something really addictive about it.

Schmaltz Fried Fries.
I would drive to San Diego just to eat these fries. Creamy on the inside and perfectly crispy on the outside. They were fantastic and everything I want in French Fries. :yum:

3 Likes

beg to differ about whether or not Pitfire is a “destination.”
i have found myself driving there just to eat their soft serve with chocolate sauce, their farmers market plate (vegetables roasted in their pizza oven), and their broccolini.
also, i always bring home a half-dozen containers of their chocolate sauce to-go.

2 Likes

So glad you gave this dish another chance – we really enjoyed it on our visit. Also, love the idea of asking for custom cocktails.

1 Like

Point taken. Perhaps my choice of words was poor. I will leave my immediate neighborhood for Pitfire.
I wouldn’t drive a great distance for the pizza there. Whereas I would for say Sotto, Mozza, and Settebello.
No disrespect meant to Pitfire. I’m thrilled they exist. I think they’re a great choice and I always leave satisfied.