July 2018 Weekend Rundown

Haha…thanks, @Bookwich! Had to share how lovely the view was. It was a clear day, so we were able to see Catalina…I had forgotten how close it is.

Went to Jino Pars in Westchester. Not the best Mediterranean around but solid. The big plus for us is they have lamb koobideh, we both love lamb. The combo of koobideh and kabob is a favorite. We also like their hot eggplant dip a lot. If only their pita was better.

1 Like

I love the spam musubi at TNT’s Aloha Cafe in Torrance because they have ume.

8 Likes

Just tried Ruiji Sichuan Cuisine in Lomita for the first time and I’m no expert but I thought it was very good. Everything had a surprisingly decent amount of Ma La. My favorite was the chicken which was nice and crispy and not the least bit oily. It’s so great to have a place like this in the South Bay. I should have tried it ages ago.

Sichuan spicy popcorn chicken:

Toothpick lamb:

Cumin beef:

Dan Dan noodles:

12 Likes

This place is legit.

2 Likes

Huckleberry ice-cream, very creamy and delicate and not sweet. Simply divine. :slight_smile:

Hiking the glacier. They closed the trail halfway to the lake due to "bear activity ". :unamused:

Red currants from Whitefish Farmers’ Market, and a huckleberry martini that was actually very good. Like a cosmo, but a thousand times better.

Okay, we are going kayaking now. Will try to keep you updated. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Gonna geo-tag that photo for us? :wink:

Was in Westlake / TO for personal reasons so stopped by Freddy’s Frozen Custard and Steakburgers thanks to suggestions from all the Enablers in the Wahlburger thread :slightly_smiling_face:

Freddy’s original double with chili cheese shoestring fries and original curds (with obligatory Heinz marinara sauce!)

5 Likes

YW

How is the chili?

1 Like

Wait a second - Heinz marinara condiment packages??? How was that?

I assume Alaska? If so, I went back in 2015, and it was one of the most wonderful trips ever (not that I’ve been on many, though). Hope you are enjoying yourself.

1 Like

SAMOSA HOUSE WEST
http://www.samosahouse.com/

GUJARATI THALI
$11.99 - only available Fri / Sat / Sun
“Gujarati Daal, Weekend Gujarati Sabzi Specials served with Rice, Chaas, Dessert and your choice of Bread (Chapatsi or Pooris)”.

I really enjoyed this. I had it last weekend, so unfortunately the details of some of the others escape me at the moment. But from memory, starting at 12 o’clock: Chaas (spiced buttermilk), Aloo Curry, masala?, some sort of spicy tea, rice/chapatsi bread, Aloo Gobi (cauliflower in the middle), some sort of multi-colored crunchies, a lamb/onion mix?, Gujarati Daal soup. Really sorry these are so vague lol I need to get better at writing these things down. Overall, the spice level was higher than I remember any other Samosa House dishes being. In a good way. It was a fun way to get a good mix.

I love the vibes in Samosa House West. There are usually a couple other tables filled and always some great Bollywood music videos on the televisions. Then you peruse the aisles in the market area.

7 Likes

I am thinking she’s referring to Whitefish in Montana, outside of Glacier National Park. Excellent huckleberries, currants, and absolutely breathtaking wilderness.

2 Likes

What are those colorful thingies at 9 o’clock?

Oh, sorry! I must have deleted the location. This is Glacier National Park in Montana.

!

IMG_2486|666x500

Wagyu beef burger from local steer. So rich and very fresh beef. The Angus beef is great too, so beefy.

Steelhead trout flown in from Seattle daily (1 1/2 hour flight). This was delicate and fresh and perfectly cooked.

Cherries from Whitefish Farmers’ Market. There are lots of cherry orchards here.

Sundae with fresh cherry syrup.

11 Likes

I’m not sure! I’ve tried to do some digging but have come up empty. I thought I saw some in the snack aisle, so I’ll take a look when I go back.

They were light little crunchy crackers.

Fry-Ums.

That’s the ticket! Thanks!

1 Like

It seems J.C. is getting into Lao Gan Ma also… Dude is making mad progress on learning the Mandarin - Bravo!

3 Likes