Jun Won restaurant - Western Ave

We go to Jun Won a lot.

The Galbi Jjim is easily the best we’ve had but we’ve only had it at 3 or 4 other places. Ridic!

4 Likes

I was extremely disappointed with the galbi jjim personally, though the dish is sizable. Would much rather have the kimchi pork hot pot that they have there.

whoa… surprising… tell me why

Given the fact that Jun Won is awesome, I guess I expected more. When I went, I thought it could have been cooked for a bit longer, the galbi was slightly tougher than expected and the base was watered down. Nothing about it was particularly memorable, other than the amount of food (which explains why it’s priced higher than other places).

My personal favorite for galbi jjim in this style (Sun Nong Dan is slightly different) was Sa Rit Gol, but unfortunately they closed. Sobans quality dips from time to time, haven’t been to Seongbukdong in a while (not sure they have a spicy version), Kkini uses a different cut of beef, but wasn’t particularly impressed.

It was on the tough side for me as well. True. Thought the overall flavor balance is right in tho. But I’m not very experienced

I’d have a hard time ordering anything but seafood at Jun Won.

I’m back baby! I can eat again

8 Likes

Thanks @Nemroz. What’s the dish in the 2nd pic? Grilled Chicken? How was it?

That’s the best chicken bulgogi in LA and the reason our kid goes there. It’s a limited m quantity dish

1 Like

Since you’re I.D.-ing anyway, what are the two dishes in the photo above the chicken? TIA.

Braised cod, probably their signature dish, soy cause, spicy over thick radish that soaks everything up.

Seafood pancake

Banchan is really serious there. Yesterday they had these little squid stuffed with various fermented seafood insides served with spicy pepper. Small dish, right side of first pic

1 Like

Thanks! Dang, that looks great. Any idea what sort of seafood is in the pancake? I ask because I’m kinda picky, and not a fan of fishy fish. :o)
(Oops, there went any cred I might’ve had on this group.)

1 Like

you can ask them when you get there :stuck_out_tongue: shrimp and oyster definitely, probably squid too. just dont get a seafood pancake if you have that issue… also stop having that issue.

6 Likes

I love how intently he was taking the chopstick lessons!

2 Likes

What makes their chicken bulgogi a standout dish, and do you know why there are limited servings? It’s not a dish I often hear people talking about, and I’m used to it being ordered mainly by people that abstain from eating beef and pork in general. And if this is chicken bulgogi as I understand it, I can’t imagine a reason for there to limited servings of it.

That’s a lot of questions I don’t really have answers to. I would encourage you to try it and decide for yourself. I’ve never ordered chicken bulgogi anywhere else and it started because of the child, then come to find out it’s a big in demand thing over there

It needs to be marinated for a few hours or overnight. Maybe they don’t like the results if it’s marinated longer than that so they make only as much as they can sell each day.

1 Like

Their chicken bulgogi is really damn tasty. Not sure about it’s pedigree or scarcity. I also only have an n of 1, as I’ve never ordered chicken bulgogi anywhere else.

1 Like

@Nemroz The chicken bulgogi is legit. Might be the only version that I’ve encountered where they actually keep the skin on, but I almost never order this elsewhere. I asked the owner why it was limited, and he said it’s partly because the chickens are fresh (recently killed) and they smell after a while so they have to go through their stock quickly. Plus, they know it’s not a hot seller, as Koreans rarely order it.

I was told they had a soy sauce marinated raw crab off menu that was a fairly recent addition.

The size of these things are probably double the ones at Soban. Soban’s raw crab flesh is tastier, because the marinade is better integrated. Plus, the lack of the pool of soy sauce here makes it more difficult to adjust that problem.

However, I found the actual shell/crab guts section better at Soban.

It has a more robust/soy sauce punch than Soban’s, and I prefer that as it reminds me of the raw crabs my grandmother used to make for me while growing up. Soban’s has a sweeter (possibly also touches of ginger) marinade, as opposed to Jun Won’s being a soy bomb.

There was a few things about this dish that can be improved, but I’ll probably give it another go soon.

4 Likes

Come on! They’re smoking the competition.

And BBC is putting them in a Doc about the immigrant experience

2 Likes