June 2016 Weekend Rundown

Damn, that looks good!

It all looks really good.

My cousin is coming in from O.C. to L.A. and wants Ethiopian. How is Zula?

I’m a complete novice when it comes to this cuisine. They also made pains to emphasize that they are Eritean and it was similar but not exactly the same as Ethiopian. I enjoyed the food but have very little experience to speak authoritatively on it.

Here’s the menu with the dishes fwiw. I think they’re used to catering to natives, very sparse as you can see. Also some people may be scared off by the neighborhood and rest of the tenants in the strip mall.

1 Like

Thanks. We’re novices too. As long as it tastes good. And I told her we probably won’t find anyplace fancy. She’s good with that.

They were very friendly in answering questions and service. The inside is very nice decorated and clean. Just ignore the looks of the strip mall. Once you step in, it’s a different world. Yelp has a photo of their interior to give you a feel.

1 Like

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Nice! How was the Fried Sea Bream at Raku? Love most of their other fish preps. Thanks.

the sashimi and fried sea bream was excellent. a lot more flavorful than the fried sea robin i got during a previous visit.

Hee, hee. So did you get any pie? And were all the pies from Clementine? We got there very late (12PM?), so the festivities were over. And it seemed like all the pies were from Clementine. I like Clementine, but I don’t need go to the FM for it…

That Seafood Platter! Nice photos!

1 Like

[quote=“Jase, post:99, topic:3444”]
I’m suspicious of any San Gabriel place that has an A rating. Doesn’t mean I’m right, just means I start from a place of skepticism.
[/quote] That’s hilarious. I know. I get it. The Fung Bros. 626 Video put a funny perspective on the B rating. It made me lighten up… Kinda’. But in my 'hood we have a different theory/saying. It’s “I don’t trust a restaurant who can’t afford to buy (bribe) themselves an A.” But a C rating just makes me shiver.

Glad to see you’re okay. That fluffy cheesecake is lookin’ at you funny. Suspicious if you ask me. :fearful:

2 Likes

It looks tough, but once i stabbed it with my fork it changed its attitude.

3 Likes

I don’t trust a SGV restaurant that has a high enough markup that allows them to afford the bribe LOL

1 Like

Hi @paranoidgarliclover - Except for the competitors, I think all pies came from Clementine. I thought the same as you about getting the Clementine pies. I mean, we eat lunch there all the time. But, since we were there I did get a couple anyway :yum:. It saved me from cooking.

Chicken Pot Pie. I made Kale Salad w/Dijon Vinaigrette for the side.

Key lime Pie

We had brunch at The Farm of B.H. Not to sound condescending, but it was surprisingly good. I had stopped going there, because it had become kind of meh. But we had a pretty enjoyable meal and bottomless mimosas.

I had this avocado toast w/an egg on the side. Sometimes avocado toast can be a lot of work, on bread w/impossible to cut crust. But this was on a pillowy, soft whole grain bread.

It was a very nice Sunday.

6 Likes

Uncle Bill’s Bacon Cheddar Waffle. Nice!

4 Likes

In defense of dollar tacos, 8 tacos, a bag of chips, and a large orange bang = $12.50

Tacos Manzano, NoHo, Tuesdays.

6 Likes

I’m always a fan of $1 tacos!

#Quarters
Is the six person combo plus supplements enough for three people? #askingforafriend

6 Likes

Great pictures!

2 Likes

Been meaning to try Quarters. How is it?