June 2018 Weekend Rundown

I didn’t see one posted for the weekend, so I took the liberty.

The Wine Country (Signal Hills)
The first weekend of the month always has some large format wine tasting paired with food. This weekend, it was rosé paired with roasted lamb, boiled potatoes and carrots, and homemade aioli. From my understanding, the shop’s owner’s wife catered the food…and the tarragon aioli was delightful. There was also assorted cheeses, pâté, and salami. For $30, we received 12 tastings of the 12 rosés they had available and all the food. Most of the rosés were reasonably priced under $26 per bottle, and I was pretty impressed with their offerings. I came home with about 6-8 bottles for my own cellar. I bought an assortment that could drink alone or ones that would pair with food. It was a delightful afternoon…we stopped by Rossmoor Pastries for dessert to-go afterwards.

7 Likes

Had a pretty wonderful meal at Mizlala in Sherman Oaks last night.

Pickled veggies and harissa:

Freshly made Laffa bread:

Greek grilled octopus - vinaigrette, capers, yogurt, crispy pewee potatoes:

Moroccan fried chicken - dill chips, spiced duck fat, harissa aioli, apricot mustard:

Skirt steak kebab:

Merguez shakshouka - eggs, tomato, feta, yogurt, cilantro:

Dessert was at the Tarzana location of Magpies Softserve.

Sweet cream with butterscotch rice crispies from heaven:

Malted milk chocolate with almond brittle:

13 Likes

Huge fan of this place. Love their food and their corkage policy is nice as well.

1 Like

Hi @thechez5,

Nice! What were your favorite dishes?

Yeah, I loved it. Plus I think it’s great for people like me who can’t really afford to splurge at a place like Bavel. :smile:

I really liked everything, but my favs were the fried chicken and the shakshouka. Loved dipping the laffa in the latter.
There was a bunch of other things on the menu that sounded good, too. I can’t wait to go back one day and try them.

3 Likes

Steak frites with ode to Peter Luger tomato and onion.

Edit to add:This pictures is so awful, lol. There were carrots and salad and melon, also.

5 Likes

Your ode to Peter Lugars is nice, @Bookwich…much better than the APL version.

Love love Mae Tings Coconut Cakes!!

1 Like

Nice

We were there a week or so ago and it was great

2 Likes

I’m not sure if this counts as a bang, bang and bang. I’m a middle aged man with 2 kids so my bang game is not great.

Sunday
Wadatsumi - great little spot. Got there right when it opened at 11:30. Was done by 12:15 and they had a line out the door. $12.95 for grilled fish special with salad, home made tofu, rice, pickles, miso soup and chawanmushi is quite a deal. The tempura was surprisingly nicely fried.
Hisaya - I like both types of chestnuts but didn’t get the ice cream. Too full.
Monkish - picked up a growler, had a pour and traded a sour bottle for 5 cans. Useful.

5 Likes

Thanks for the report @foodshutterbug. So you also experienced that strange / hostile behavior? I’m glad it wasn’t just us. :frowning:

Overall, there’s just better Yakitori here in L.A. with much more welcoming atmosphere, so even though it’s so close for us, we probably aren’t in a hurry to go back soon.

1 Like

Not really and not in that part of town, IMHO

Izakaya Sasaya

It has been about 15 years, but the quality sucked when I last visited

Love the homage to Peter Luger with the skirt steak kebab :wink:

3 Likes

Zacatecano red chorizo (chicken), egg, potato, and cheese breakfast burrito from The Chori-Man in San Pedro. Huge and delicious (twss!).

4 Likes

Rutt’s Hawaiian Cafe.

Spam Royale for me with (perfect) over-easy egg. My friend had a kalua pork omelette, which came out a bit odd because there were no vegetables whatsoever, and the meat tasted overwhelmingly of Liquid Smoke. The potatoes were good though!

My first visit to the new location. Everyone was nice, but the space isn’t as fun and comfortable as the old place, and the food is definitely different. Low sodium Spam and barely any soy sauce or fat in the Royale. Healthier maybe? :neutral_face:

3 Likes

Lunch on the patio at the Raymond. Protip: patio, even on a cloudy day, is the better seating. (It was nostalgic, I was a waiter there in 1980. The interior hasn’t changed at all and the dark, somber booths are best saved for wet winter evenings). Glass of Pinot Grigio 'cuz it seemed the right speed. The spinach salad with strawberries and shrimp was pretty good stuff…shrimp were perfectly grilled, a nice char/sweetness to the edges, and the berries actually tasted like berry (unlike other strawberries I’ve had lately). My friend enjoyed his Cobb salad…another glass of wine woulda been nice if we’d had more time.

1 Like

Father’s Day brunch at Petrossian: Smoked fish plate (king salmon, tuna, trout), foie gras torchon, shassetra caviar on blini… Just marvelous!

12 Likes

Sorrento Italian Market.

• I’ve never seen this here before. Are you selling this now? Do you have other kinds?
  • No, I think that’s from when the aunt [80 years-old] went to Italy last month. I think that’s the last one.
  • Okay, I’ll take it, but I’ll skip the Parmesan this week.
  • I put the Parmesan in the bag anyway. I know you need it.

I love neighborhood stores.:heart::heart::heart:

5 Likes