[KCRW] GUSTAVO'S GREAT TORTILLA TOURNAMENT - September 16

So what you’re saying is there’s space here for a dry corn importer / miller business?

It’s not so much the corn used (As a testament to the ready made Masienda tortillas…) it’s the machinery. You need the right masa for sure but you also need a machine which makes then thin, toasts and then puffs them. From my understanding as of a couple of years ago, there are only so many makers of Tortilla Machines in the U.S. and they are all pretty much just ovens, the tortillas never get really toasted and a comal isn’t going to cut it.

–Dommy!

I was actually hoping for something MUCH better… But it’s obvious they are using a conventional U.S. Tortilla press. I could tell just by picking them up but I had hoped the flavor would make up for it. NOPE. The blue corn tortillas from El Mercadito are better…

In which picture is the nixtamalizaton?

Machine schmachine. You need good fresh masa and an auntie or grandma with experienced hands.

It happens prior to getting to the tortillería. Since after Nixtamalization, the corn needs to be fully dried before it could be ground intoto herina de mais.

i thought the best ones were hand made (Anaya, going back today)and pressed so the difference maker is the masa quality

The best tortillas are made from fresh masa, not from masa de harina. Whether they’re made by hand or pressed makes much less of a difference.

To make fresh masa, nixtamalize the dried corn, rinse and remove the husks, and grind (preferably stone-grind, but you can do it with a food processor) to a paste.

I’ve never done it myself since I can buy it at the farmers market.

I haven’t tried the tortillas from Napa Valley tortilla maker Karen… but looking at the pictures online they look like those chubby corn tortillas they sell at Cinco Puntos, plus this quote scared me…

“It should be toothsome, but it’s not so much about the taste, it’s more about the texture,”

NOPE.

Any Abuela will tell you If you make masa from corn that has been too recently bloomed you end up with a gummy flavorless masa that will never hold together if pressed thin (hence the thickness of many of these US tortillas). Too thick it won’t puff.

Not clear what you mean by “too recently.” Not soaked overnight in the limewater?

Like most foods, it’s about both flavor and texture. I’m not crazy about El Molino / Primavera’s tortillas (except when made into chips) but their tamales are great and the fresh masa has excellent flavor.

Comal in Berkeley makes some of the best tortillas I’ve had. They source their own heirloom dried corn and contract with a local tortilla factory to make and deliver fresh masa several times a week.

Meaning, you don’t want to scoop up the kernels from the lime bath and then grind them. You usually strain them from the bath and let them dry a bit or completely depending on your facility. They sell bloomed kernels at most Mexican Markets now, so when using at home, it’s best to run them through a salad spinner so that process better. If too dry/stiff, then add fresh water (which is better for flavor as well)

If you let them dry them completely before grinding them, you’re making tortillas from masa harina, not fresh masa.

Not placing any bets, but this tournament will be fun to follow. I love the thick corn tortillas at Cinco Puntos. Perfect vessels for carnitas tacos con todo. I haven’t tried the tortillas at Loqui, but my childhood favorite flour tortillas were from Casablanca in Venice and Pacos in Culver City (and later Westchester branch).

I think there are plenty of good tortillas around town. Plenty of generic ones too :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

My childhood favorites were always La Luz del Dia on Olvera Street. Havent been recently but man I loved those carnitas tacos alway with extra tortillas.

1 Like