Keil's leaving Bay Park

OK, this is the “Carolina Treet” BBQ cooking sauce that one needs to transform a pork steak into something that I think is unique in all of grilling. Wonderful on pork and chicken. If you’ve never tried this stuff, do. Mail order only in CA.

P.S. I found pork shoulder butts at Thuan Phat in Linda Vista today. They were maybe 3 inches thick, but they were cut in the right way if you wanted a thinner slice, and the butcher offered to slice one of them into multiple 1/2 inch “pork steaks”. The shoulder butts looked very good: Nice color and fat. Another option to try after Keil’s closes.

I wonder if Ranch 99 will have pork steaks after they open on Balboa, which should be soon. Lots of action going on there, but it looks like it still has a way to go.

We were in Keil’s over the weekend and they are clearly letting their shelf stocks deplete. So very sad to watch.

I am so confused after going to the Carolina Treet site. The sauce is described as being free of sugar or sweeteners, but the listed ingredients include corn syrup and brown sugar.

I went on Amazon to see if it was available there, and see what people thought of the sauce. It is in fact sold on Amazon at an outrageous price. What is very weird is that the ingredients listed for the sauce on Amazon is completely different than the ingredients listed at the manufacturer’s site, and do not include any sweeteners.

Oops, I figured it out. There is North Carolina sauce without sweeteners and South Carolina sauce which contains sweeteners.

If you decide to order some, be sure to get the “original”, which is what’s shown in the picture I posted.

Wave goodbye. The store is closing permanently at midnight on Sunday.

After a quarter-century in Bay Park.

1 Like

I feel your pain buddy…sucks, big time!!!
Just like when Jonathan’s closed in the village of LJ.

:hugging:

The End. Goodbye, Bay Park. The end of very long era has come and passed.

I’m disgusted by this.

This wasn’t a downsize. It was a lease issue, as I understand it. There are other, huge changes planned for that corner, and the remaining shops in the center will see a change in façade.

This is a huge tragedy. A new big-ass Sprouts is to be erected in the Keil’s store before next fall (maybe), but it won’t help. Sprouts is just plain weird, IMO.

Major example issue: A salad bar exists but sucks at the Sprouts on Genesee at Balboa. And it’s a dollar more per pound than it was at the absolutely wonderful salad bar they had at Keil’s. The Sprouts “salad bar” has a few loose veggies but it’s mostly a bunch of pre-mixed deli stuff, a kind of serve-yourself “natural foods” deli.
Sheesus.

Von’s at Balboa/Genesee doesn’t even have a salad bar. And the staff at the deli are very slow and could care less about the backup that always exists.

And both Von’s and Sprouts have, IMO, inferior deli items. Along with very slow service.

Damn, I’m at a loss of words and need help here.

And nope, 99 Ranch doesn’t have a salad bar. At least not one that we saw today.

Does anyone know of a real, salad bar in the Bay Park / Southwest Clairemont Mesa area?? If there’s one at the new 99 Ranch on Balboa, we didn’t see it today while giving the store a thorough walkthrough.

You’re close to Gelsons in PB on Turq or Del Mar
Whole Foods LJ
Bristol Farms LJ
Stater bros is known for their meat dept and fab deli…will attest to both…by proxy by DH

I didn’t know people eat from grocery store salad bars…unless, it has a bullet proof glass shield guard.

But I can be a freakazoid on cleanliness, no whack jobs jobs touching my food or being able to taint it…
Sadly, this is the world we live in…but I digress.

I am puzzled ‘Chow Charlie’ that you find Sprouts weird…

There is a Trader Joe’s on east Garnet in PB. They don’t have a salad bar, but they carry something like 10 or so individually portioned salads of various types. I have found them to be pretty good, and they should keep for a few days.

The Keil’s salad bar at their San Carlos store is excellent. Probably the best in-store salad bar in San Diego. And their deli-sandwiches are pretty good too. The Ralph’s in Hazard Center has a decent, tho’ unremarkable, salad bar. It’ll do in a pinch, but what it does have that Keil’s doesn’t have is a Murray’s Cheese Shop which has a nice selection of cheese.

I do know that Keil’s is a Boar’s Head deli client, so you could probably replace that by finding another Boar’s Head deli. I think the Ralph’s in Hazard Center is a Boar’s Head store; their deli department isn’t bad. The Ralph’s does have an olive bar that is better than the one Keil’s had for a while.

I know the Ralph’s in Hazard Center is out of your target area, but it’s the closest thing to Keil’s that I can think of without you having to drive all the way to San Carlos.

Thanks to BC, Encinitan, and DD for your helpful comments. I guess I was really bummed out last night, and it came through in my somewhat angry last post to this thread. But no need for Candy Mountain, BC. Just venting, as you know I do sometimes.

But just last night I looked at the salad bar at Sprouts (closely, for the first time) and thought it was pretty lame. The salad bar at Keil’s was superb. Not only was everything fresh, but there was a really big variety of things to create a salad from. I’ve never once seen a child trying to make a salad there (too high, anyway), and the people who used the salad bar were always respectful of its cleanliness. And the adjacent deli staff were attentive. I never felt there were sanitary issues, in other words. Maybe at other places, but not at Keil’s.

I hadn’t actually looked for/at grocery store salad bars in other places around here for decades, until just now, because the one at Keil’s was so great. That’s why I asked if anyone knew of one near Bay Park. I don’t think Seisel’s has one, but frankly I’ve never noticed and haven’t checked yet. They do have some good deli items. But so does Harvest Int. Market, Balboa Int. Market, and even Von’s if you’re choosy.

I’m glad to hear that Ralph’s has Boar’s Head products, because their dry Italian salami was a staple accompaniment when I hosted one of our periodic mini-wine tastings at my house (reds). At least I know where I can still get that. Thanks, DD.

No more whining from me about this. I’m bummed out, but I’ll get over it.

1 Like

Naw…just drive over to the Keil’s in San Carlos. It’s a good store. Everyone that works there is super nice, and their salad bar is great. Even tho’ I no long live within walking distance, I still go over there when I need specific items. Easy in and out and lots of parking

I haven’t seen anyone get worked up about a salad bar since Sizzler closed down!

1 Like

Busting my ass laughing on that Krispy!

Thank God for that Depends I’m wearing…
:stuck_out_tongue:

Let me know if I need to send Charlie out for Candy Mountain therapy. .

.:unicorn:

Been there, done that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, wait until the Souplantions get closed down…

1 Like

LOVE that!
Thank God for that fresh box, I just opened…hee hee hee

We :heartpulse: Dr. Chow!!

I remember when Chart House had the best kick ass salad bar, known to man…
The sunflower seeds with the raisins. . .chunky blue cheese. . .cold plates…
Krishna Mulvaney & Hydra too…
:peace:

With Charlie or the Depends. .:stuck_out_tongue: