Keil's leaving Bay Park

Well yes, of course Siesel’s sells pork.

When I was shopping around late last year I checked at two places that don’t have pre-cut pork steaks, but was told they’d cut them for me. When I stopped into Siesel’s during that timeframe, they didn’t have pre-cut pork steaks either, and they were busy at the time and I didn’t ask. Since then, I’ve been going through my frozen pork steaks and haven’t been worried about finding them. Until now, when I ran out.

Actually, because pork shoulder blade cuts are the cheapest (I think) of almost all meats, Siesel’s might not even have the stock to cut into steaks.

Pork steaks are one of the few things that I put sauce on while grilling. I literally slather them with Carolina Treet. So getting higher quality meat at a higher price probably isn’t worth it in that case (like buying fine porterhouse and dousing it with A-1 sauce). I’m pretty sure that if Siesel’s would cut them for me, they’d be much more expensive than at Sprouts or Keil’s (where they were $2.99 a pound). The quality of the meat at Keil’s was just fine with me for pork steaks.

Anyway, I plan to go over to Siesel’s for steaks (beef) this week, and while I have a butcher’s attention I’ll ask.

Here’s the follow-up to my last post on The Great Pork Steak Search.

I went over to Siesel’s today to get my New York steaks, then asked the person behind the counter if they could cut some pork shoulder blade steaks for me. He said that they had the meat, but they were seven or eight pounds each (roasts). I said that I just wanted a couple of pork steaks. He didn’t know if they could cut them for me from the roasts, so he asked the person who actually does the cutting (and who seemed to be in charge) who said “no problem”. They had both boneless and bone-in, and I asked for bone-in. He cut two half-inch steaks, but they were each about a pound, and I said that I’d actually wanted just a pound between the two. Once again: “No problem”. So he cut off some of the ends from each, and they ended up being about 0.6 lb each. Perfect! There was some question about the price, but boneless was $3.99/lb and they decided that bone-in was $2.99/lb. Wow, what a deal!

I’m really glad that Siesel’s came up in this discussion. Thanks to ipse, DD, and RBH! (Well, and Honkman too, who basically said the same thing about Tip Top Meats.)

1 Like

Good to hear.

But I think I’m actually more surprised that you’re surprised it worked out than surprised that Siesel’s would oblige.

All of this could be avoided if you bought quality pork chops like a proper Chowhou…errr foodie

Yeah, yeah…

This is the final chapter on this thread.

Sprouts has now opened where the Keil’s in Bay Park (RIP) used to be.

It’s a large store, nicely stocked. Yes, there’s an adequate salad bar ($7.99). Yes, they have nice-looking pork steaks. Yes, they have Boar’s Head hard Italian salami.

And yes, they also have a huge waste of space taken up by nutritional supplements, etc., etc. There’s a whole store in the area with that kind of stuff. Sprouts doesn’t need to waste valuable shelf space for it.

This store has a small area for eating in-house sandwiches and such.

Beer prices are outrageous.

The End. (I think.)