Kevin's latest column in LA Weekly

“Is that the long-lost twin brother of Max Headroom?” asks the real Gen-Xer…

1 Like

I was aiming the question @Funtimes. :wink:

i’m not answering for bookwich, but, i, too, prefer to eat annonymously.

i don’t see how it benefits me to leave a digital trail behind me wherever i go so that any hacker out there can get my data and see my whereabouts.

i’ve had the situation of a credit card being compromised when the issuing store’s system was hacked.

it sucks.

i’d rather increase my risk of losing a finite about of cash than increase my risk of having my information hacked and the phenomenal hassel and intrusion that that entails…

1 Like

Using a credit card does not put you at risk of identity theft if you take the standard precautions.

My primary card gets cancelled once or twice a year due to fraud, which is annoying but a minor hassle. I use a second card on the same account for regular bills from trustworthy businesses such as insurance, Amazon, my gym, and internet, phone, and TV services and have yet to have a fraud problem with that one.

I always choose the most restrictive privacy options so my credit card company isn’t sharing my purchase history with third parties. If they use the data to do some targeted marketing, I’m probably not going to see it, let alone respond to it. In exchange I’m getting free air travel.

If you’re a privacy fanatic, you can get an anonymous prepaid debit card.

If someone wants to hack you, you will be hacked. If you want privacy, too late.

I don’t like people knowing what I ate or how much I spent on it. It’s a quirk, not a self-defining therapy issue.

1 Like

No, not trying to imply that it’s a “big deal” that you would want to eat anonymously. Just genuinely curious since it’s never been something that I’ve thought about. Reading the responses was certainly interesting (and no snark intended). :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t think any human ever looks at my credit card histories. Since I live in California, what credit card companies can do with the information they have about me is strictly limited.

this whole CC argument is a non-starter - it’s no different than the business decision that “cash only” places are making. You make a decision to accept only a certain form of payment, you get the pros AND cons of making that decision, which means inevitably that some people will pass you up because you are not accepting said form of payment.

There have been countless times where I’ve had to skip a particular restaurant because I had no cash. Can’t say that’s ever happened to me on a place that only accepts card…

don’t our cell phones pretty much track us, even if we don’t check in through social media

Did you see the US version or the british series that ran briefly on HBO? The American one was cut up from the British with most of Frewer’s segments left alone and new American actors for non-Max scenes, similar to how they used to handle Japanese cartoons like ‘Battle of the Planets’ and ‘Star Blazers’?

wonderful show

Yeah, but I like to fuck with Instagram and FB, etc. Why make it easy for them? :smirk:

Huh? I was too busy obsessing over Amanda Pays… :slight_smile:

Nice allusions to G-Force and Space Battleship Yamato, though, my friend.

How do you fuck with them ?

How do you get an authorized credit cards that’s legit with another name ? how do you choose the name ?

With “business” accounts you can often give them any name you like. The idea is that they’re your employees. You’re responsible for payment.

If you have to provide a social security number or otherwise prove that the authorized user is a real person, get a relative or friend to help. They’re not responsible for payment.

Credit card companies permit you to get a card for an authorized user. The authorized user and be a nom de plume.

I’m having a hell of a time getting anything but the front page to load on the Weekly’s site these days. Most of the time I get a “the specified url cannot be found” error. Anyone else experiencing this?

when i use firefox everything works fine.
safari, not so much

I have the problem on Chrome and Firefox. Haven’t tried Safari. Oh well, I guess I’ll try it on my phone.

Doh! On my phone even the front page won’t load! (Android)