Key Ingredients

Penang CKT >^∞ SG CKT

2 Likes

Niiiiice. I’ll definitely give this a go.

noob alert: how do you use MSG?

1 Like

Like salt when cooking. Start with a small amount because if you use too much, it’s noticeable. Use in conjunction with salt. Try 1/2 msg and 1/2 salt for the amount of salt called for in a recipe.

Judiciously.

Like the umami equivalent of saffron.

2 Likes

No.

Why not?

because it will taste like shit.

Oh, okay. I suppose we’ll let everyone figure it out for themselves.

1 Like

Ah, yes. We mustn’t ask for help. Sigh.

1 Like

Good ole Ajinomoto. Never leave the Japanese market without it.

1 Like

That’s dependant on how much food you are making. You only need a couple pinches of MSG in most dishes. It’s not a salt substitute, so you can’t replace salt with it, but you can use a touch less salt since the MSG enhances the salt flavor.

3 Likes

I would like to clarify, I was thinking of a non-Asian usage, e.g., 6-8 quarts of chicken stock, vegan jambalaya for 10 people, tomato sauce, beef stew, etc. I wasn’t talking about a stir-fry.

I’m also a “taste as you cook” person, and rarely season these types of dishes until near the end of the cooking process, then adding small amounts of salt and/or msg until it tastes right.

If you have better advice on using msg in cooking, please let @President_Mochi know.

1 Like

Same.

MSG is not, and should not be, a 1:1 substitute for salt. Ever.

And for what its worth, MSG is in cheesecake takes the dessert to another level.

I like La Morena brand. Years ago, Saveur recommended some brands, and La Morena was my fave.

A cheat bbq sauce is a dry rub on pork ribs, slow cooked in oven for 2-3 hours, and then chipotle sauce (blended up in mini-blender) rubbed over ribs before you throw on grill.

Also, cheat sauce for chilaquiles. And throw some in homemade mayo!

2 Likes

I get them at Whole Foods.

I have a question and this seems like a good thread. What non-asian dishes do you add fish sauce too?

Not always (I use many different versions) but sometime ragu bolognese

1 Like

All soups/stews. I made something a few years ago that was okay but not great. Added some salt and it was better but still a bit ho-hum. A couple of tablespoons of fish sauce and it was really, really good.

I hope you get a lot of replies to this question.

1 Like

Awww… Great. I’m making red sauce this weekend. Thanks.

Perfect