L.A. Regains a Sushi Master - Mori at Shiki Beverly Hills [Thoughts + Pics]

my guess is that if it struck you as cold it was probably colder than normal.

Hi Shiki Lovers -

Does anyone else hate Shiki’s website? They used to have two - one had menus, pictures and bios of the chefs, you know, actual information. Then another has only the name, location, phone number & corporate info, no menu, etc. Well the one with the actual info is shut down and only the no info one is still up, oh except they added the JGold review. :roll_eyes: Does anyone happen to know how to find the right website or have a copy of the menu? I’m trying to put a group together, winging it won’t do.

Thanks!

If you have the url of the old website, you could try plugging it into the Wayback Machine/Internet Archive:

https://archive.org/web/web.php

That might yield the missing info. Also might not, of course.

1 Like

Thanks I’ll try it!

1 Like

You’re welcome; that current site doesn’t yield a whole lot of useful information.

1 Like

Thanks to @PorkyBelly’s good eye on Inn Ann’s IG, it’s confirmed Mori-san is no longer working at Shiki. Updated the original post.

2 Likes

Uh, I though y’all knew that. He’s been helming Inn Ann since February!

Crap… missed it when I was in town

wonder if their prices will go back down…

New to the forum here…I came across this thread while researching omakase options for an upcoming LA visit. I always make reservations for sushi when we’re in town as options for traditional omakase in Chicago are still middling (though growing).

I JUST made a reservation at Shiki because I thought chef Mori was still there. But when I called the restaurant to confirm my sushi bar request, they told me he’s no longer there. Then I found this thread that doubly confirms.

I couldn’t understand the guy on the phone when I asked who the current chef is. Is it still worth visiting Shiki with no Mori-san? Or should we try Inn Ann instead?

Besides thinking Mori-san was there, I had also selected Shiki to try their washoku…although sushi is what I’m ultimately after.

2 Likes

@eatscake81 Welcome to FTC! Since you’re in town, you might as well make a tour of the upper echelon of sushiyas in town:

• Shunji
  • Mori Sushi (Make sure you sit in front of Maru-san)
  • Zo
  • Sushi Ginza Onodera
  • Nozawa Bar (???)
  • Asenebo (???)

There’s also Hayato if you wanna try washoku. As for Inn Ann, it’s so new that very few of us have tried it with Mori-san in the kitchen so it’s difficult to say if it’s worth the dough at the moment.

2 Likes

I would second Shunji, Mori, Zo, Onodera.
At Mori - if you go on Thursday you can seat in front of Maru or Yoshi, all other days Maru only.
If you still end up at Shiki - Jun and Hiro are quite good but not quite the top

1 Like

Hi @eatscake81,

Welcome! :slight_smile:

It’s an unfortunate loss, but more of a lateral move since Mori is at a different restaurant now.

I’d recommend Mori Sushi (sit with Maru-san) and Shunji (sit with Shunji-san).

1 Like

Forgot to add…Shin Sushi if you wanna have 75 -80% of the quality and 50-60% the price tag at Mori.

1 Like

Welcome to FTC! As you can see, our usual cast of characters :wink:
is chiming in with great recs.

Welcome to L.A.! My 2 cents for your omakase here:

• First choice remains Mori Sushi (sit with Maru-san).
  • Shunji allows you to try superb sushi (albeit a bit less edomae in style), BUT the washoku selection at Shunji is better than Mori.
  • Inn Ann is an unknown for me, so I cannot comment. But if Mori-san is creating his usual magic there, then I’m sure you’ll enjoy Inn Ann.
  • Shunji > Asanebo for now (Shunji’s brother Tetsuya helms Asanebo)
  • Skip Nozawa Bar (too simple a selection of neta), and skip Ginza Onodera (poor QPR). Skip Q in Downtown.
  • Surprisingly, Zo is still OK, but the pieces are small. Even though I really value taste above all, and I’m not as much focused on quantity for my sushi, I still think Zo’s nigiri pieces could be larger.
  • Kiriko has wonderful a la carte selection of washoku/non-sushi dishes, and great nigiri to boot. Don’t discount Kiriko.
  • Not sushi, but Aburiya Raku is a terrific izakaya.
  • Hayato can be a hard rezzy, BUT if you are OK with going solo, there are openings.
  • Formal kaiseki (such as the meal served at Hayato) represents the most elevated form of washoku. But amongst the more pedestrian forms of washoku, there are great tastes to be found.

Again, welcome!

9 Likes

Ask to sit w Shunji

2 Likes

What about Sushi Tsujita?

Per Hayato’s Twitter, there are single seats available for the next few weeks.

1 Like

(silence…)

Good point,I had 2 excellent dinners with Hide-san there last year. So thumbs up to Sushi Tsujita.

1 Like