L.A. Regains a Sushi Master - Mori at Shiki Beverly Hills [Thoughts + Pics]

All correct and I would add the following:

Hiramasa = Seriola lalandi ssp. (one subspecies is the yellowtail caught off our coast)

Buri and hamachi are both S. quinqueradiata, generally distinguished by the former being a larger, adult fish. Definitely a variety of names for this species.

It’s important to know which Seriola species you’re eating, as S. quinqueradiata is much fattier and richer than S. lalandei. The two fish look ridiculously similar, borderline indistinguishable.

Small note, all members of the Seriola genus are generally considered amberjacks. Here in the East Pacific, we only catch almacos, no greaters, and we call them simply “amberjack.” Almaco is a pretty infrequently used name for them here. So calling kampachi “amberjack” is definitely not a mislabeling or “passing”

2 Likes

Basically this

2 Likes

Wow, thanks for all the recs and the welcome!

I’m glad a lot of names seem to correspond to places I’ve narrowed down in my research. And it’s good to have them confirmed by some true sushi/omakase aficionados. I find you just can’t rely on Yelp when it comes to this category (or you really have to filter through a lot of ridiculously ignorant posts).

I’m really torn between Shunji, Mori and Inn Ann. I’m currently holding sushi bar seats at Inn Ann for April 6 and confirmed Mori-san will be holding court that night.

I’m half tempted to book at Shunji or Mori the night before and do a comparison, but haven’t decided yet if I can afford to be that indulgent!

Apparently I was at Mori in 2010 (based on email records) but don’t really remember the details of our experience. I’ve been to Kiriko several years ago and did enjoy the sushi there. Have done Nozawa as well.

On our last trip to LA we went to Susi Nakamura which I’m sad to see has apparently closed? I was skeptical about it when we walked in and saw mostly people at tables eating rolls but was ultimately surprised by the quality of the omakase and the chef was super friendly.

4 Likes

Welcome @eatscake81 -

If you have your heart set on dinner at Mori-san’s counter at Inn Ann you could still satisfy your Shunji curiosity without breaking the bank by booking their counter for the omakase lunch special (weekdays only). People rave about the QPR and Shunji-san is a sweetheart. Tip: call to make sure he’ll be there, book their first seating at 12p and arrive early. It fills up fast.

Have fun! :sake: :sushi:

6 Likes

Thanks for the tip! Sushi lunch booked with Shinju-san! Will report back after our trip.

4 Likes

oh no you booked the wrong guy

1 Like

Need to book with Sergio-san.

2 Likes

Oh stop it, you two. :smile:

3 Likes

Whoops! Darn auto correct.

2 Likes

Per Eater, Shiki has closed. Website now redirects to Wadatsumi.

2 Likes

Yep, I was at Sushi Miyagi (report coming soon) in Brentwood recently and heard they closed. Thanks for posting @ElsieDee. I’m actually not surprised. It’s the kind of place that flew too under the radar for Beverly Hillers - who prefer a brand name or more flash. Wadatsumi will probably fit the bill. I can’t remember if the spot has outside dining but that’s also something that seems to be a draw in BH. A bummer though. I’m a high-end Sushi newb and 2 of of my early and best experiences were there and the Lunch Special exceeded every other I’ve tried. :cry:

1 Like

Thanks @ElsieDee @TheCookie. Updated the OP.

2 Likes

Does anyone know where the sushi chefs have gone to work?

1 Like