L.A.'s New England Seafood Shack - Connie & Ted's

Have you been to L&E Oyster Bar? They do exceptional oysters and clam chowder.

I go there at Happy Hour because at that time you can get 1/2 doz oysters, Chef’s choice, for $10. 2 rounds of oysters, an order of fried clams with bellies and a draft Pilsner type beer is a great seafood evening for me.

4 Likes

Hi @tailbacku,

Not yet. I’ve had it bookmarked for a while. Thanks for the rec. :slight_smile:

In case that Rhode Island clam chowder piqued any cooks curiosity here’s a recipe. I’d never heard of it.

2 Likes

That sounds good. I like clear broth soups.

My favorite clam soup is Japanese clam soup, the one without miso, but I like the miso clam soup also.

1 Like

Good to know! I’ve always wondered how it was while sitting at LAMILL amongst the beautiful people. I’ll fit in better with the chowder crowd.

1 Like

[quote=“LAgirl, post:14, topic:4955”]
I grew up in Boston and LOVE clams w/ bellies. My last trip to Boston in September, I had them 3 times over the course of 4 days.

I still need to make it over to C&T and try out their clams and lobsta roll.
[/quote]Girl…You do.

1 Like

Don’t you love this girl?

1 Like

Jar was the first time I had big bellies in L.A. (they weren’t that big though). Happy they’re back on the menu.

You’re right. Let’s go.

[quote=“ipsedixit, post:35, topic:4955”]
Fishing with Dynamite?
[/quote]Are they New England style?

Exactly!

1 Like

You know I love this report @Chowseeker1999.

Thanks for being kind about the fried clams… haha. Aren’t the oysters fantastic?

The thing about C&T, it seems you either get it or you don’t. For those ordering Italian inspired seafood dishes prevalent in California, well oops. Apparently it’s not so good. But for people like @Mattapoisett_in_LA, me and a couple other transplants, their New England style seafood is as good as it gets.

I didn’t know Michael Cimarusti owned C&T. I recently saw him as a guest judge on this season of Top Chef and thought “This guy looks more like a hockey player than someone who creates the refined food at Providence.” But now it all makes sense.

Great report! Great pictures!

1 Like

Hi @TheCookie,

Thanks. :slight_smile: Yah the Oysters are fantastic. :slight_smile: Glad you’re enjoying your visits. How do you like your Lobster Rolls there, BTW? w/ Butter or Mayo?

1 Like

Mayo! But your report makes me want try hot butter at least once. I do love lobster & butter :yum:.

1 Like

Did both Connie and Ted’s, and Fishing with Dynamite last May. Personally I prefer C&Ts by a landslide, if based on the overall experience, as well as the oysters selections.

C&T’s top neck clams are some of the best I’ve had to date:

Of the oyster’s selections of the day, the New Zealand Coromandels were the best.

The Santa Barbara uni was not as good as the year before

but it was still a lot of fun to play with food to make something like this and eat it

Lucked out again and they had the Hokkaido scallop dog on the menu, always excellent

Blondie is the most famous dessert, but their Borghetti Bread Pudding was fantastic (borghetti espresso liquor, almonds, vanilla ice cream, hot fudge).

The oysters at C&T are so good that I think it’s one, if not the best place to pair them with a fantastic bottle of sake.
They have only two selections on the menu, but with a super reasonable corkage ($15 or $20, somewhere around that range), it’s a no brainer. Works brilliantly with Dassai 23, even better if you can get a hold of the Centrifuge version.

8 Likes

A very polite way to put it…

1 Like

Very cool

Nice report and thoughts @beefnoguy. :slight_smile:

That reminds me, I need to keep an eye out for that Hokkaido Scallop Dog you keep mentioning. Sounds pretty amazing. :slight_smile:

@beefnoguy my live sea urchin was damn good.

3 Likes