L.A.'s New England Seafood Shack - Connie & Ted's

Are those gorgeous huge carabinero prawns still available?

Sweet for peeps who grew up eating local spiny lobsters on a regular basis in Hawaii. I guess they were in abundance? Easy to catch? Or they didn’t gouge the locals? I grew up in what some consider lobster country, New England. We ate our fair share of lobster rolls (more of the less expensive clam rolls). But we still thought of the lobster dinner as a special occasion thing - a steamed lobster dinner or lobster newburg at Home Port Restaurant was a big deal when I was a kid. The lobster was still relatively pricey even though they were pulled out of the ocean on a regular basis about a mile from our homes! Marketing? Demand? Hmmm… :thinking:

When I say pricey I mean for the area. Not as pricey as L.A. where a lobster roll at C&T’s is $29+.

Our last visit we ate this deliciousness on a dock while watching the sunset at Larsen’s Fish Market in Menemsha.

First this…
https://www.foodtalkcentral.com/uploads/short-url/n75KQ3lRYwvj1Z1zRuOyGMfldin.JPG
Gay Head (Aquinnah)

Then…
https://www.foodtalkcentral.com/uploads/short-url/lfB0RVLQABc8U5E0L1b3kxhBSPZ.JPG

I think it was around $40. We brought our own beer (dry town). The sit-down restaurants are pricier, but still, not like L.A. Of course, you have to pay for a plane ticket and a hotel to eat there, but.

…Oh sigh.

7 Likes

Here’s a little 18th century New England trivia for you.

“Lobsters were so abundant at this time which made them very inexpensive. People who consumed the most lobster at this point were prisoners, apprentices, slaves and children. In Massachusetts, some servants added to their contracts that they would only be served shellfish twice a week because they were being fed so much lobster!”

1 Like

The lobster: A wonderful instance of food rebranding!

2 Likes

Like diamonds.

So the lobster rolls above were one CT and one New England? I’ll stick with NE.

I hear ya’ Cath. But can you imagine what a treat it is for a transplant like me to have a place like C&T’s? Big Belly Clams! FYI they usually have a good dine/LA menu too.

1 Like

When I went back to Boston a couple of years ago for a family event (w/ my sisters and their crew who also live out here) my BIL and nephew wanted to go to Salem for some “witching” tourism. I didn’t want to do that, so was planning on checking out the art museum which unfortunately for me was closed because it was a Monday. I ended up on a tourist tour of all the historical sites instead. This fact about being served way too much lobster as cruel and unusual punishment was part of the tour guide commentary. I laughed. By coincidence, my sister’s 50th b-day was that weekend and she wanted to go to Legal’s to celebrate–so we ended up eating lobster (and fried clams w/ bellies and steamers too for good measure).

2 Likes

Hah @LAgirl!

How fun! It’s a great food city. I can’t imagine being anything but slap happy about having to eat lobster everyday. How times have changed!

Yep, New Englanders are witchy. My favorite school field trip was going to the Salem Witch Trial Museum. The last time we were in MA we spent a couple nights in Fall River :ghost: and I was so disappointed we didn’t make it to Lizzie Borden’s house now a museum and B&B. :grimacing:

Oh, I hear ya! Amazingly we have this

http://morganslobstershack.com/

in Reno and Truckee. He has to order his split top buns from ‘back East’ as no regular food distributors carry them.

1 Like

Lucky you. I think someone on this thread said they don’t even have a good place like these in NoCal. What’s up with that?

I know not one thing about any of these. :slight_smile:

Best lobster rolls in san francisco

They did say “good” I think. But those look pretty good to me. It seems weird that SF wouldn’t have a place that does good NE style seafood. But maybe it’s the elevation that Chef Cimarusti & his pastry chef wife, Christina, bring to the table at C&T’s.

here ya from, Cookie

1 Like

Got this today. Thought I would share for folks who live or work in the neighborhood.

7 Likes

scallop: delicate and subtle

live uni, expensive but worth it

chef’s choice, 12 different types

seconds of the two best plus a couple of true Kumamotos that were not among the chef’s choice

So far as I can determine, C&T’s and Providence are the only restaurants in LA that explicitly commit to serving only sustainable seafood.

4 Likes

Providence

1 Like

and anything michael cimarusti

Oops, right you are. I always get those two places confused.

On Tock every Thursday from Connie & Ted’s:

Winner Winner 10 Piece Fried Chicken Dinner

Mary’s Free Range Air Chilled Chicken,
Buttermilk Fried Chicken,
2 Legs, 2 Thighs, 2 Wings,
2 Breasts (cut into 4), Gravy on the Side,
1 Pint Cole Slaw,
1 Pint Mashed Potatoes,
4 Big-Ass Biscuits, Jalapeño-Honey Butter.
No Subs or Mods on this item.

$54.00

9 Likes